Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Not a Happy Birthday to Me

Author Topic: Not a Happy Birthday to Me
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As of today, I am now 27 years old.

Normally, there is cause for celebration, but right now, there is not. Mostly because I will be spending my birthday as well as Christmas alone and by myself. I have been disowned by my family, so I am no longer welcome at any family events.

Other than my recent disowning, the year has pretty much been a washout. I lost my job as a computer technician to restructuring quite a while ago, and job searches have not only come up fruitless, but very painful. Time and again, I have been the top candidate in the jobs I was applying, only to lose due to decisions of management. It would appear that the IT departments prefer me as the preferred candiate, but upper management types for some reason seem to think I have the face of a loser. Or that I have no business sense. Or whatever lame reason they can figure out.

I'm working retail again. I hate it with a passion now. I'm also working today, and I'm not very enthusiastic about this. My boss has threatened to fire me unless I put more effort into my work, but it does not seem to matter. How can one put more effort when one hates said job?

Personal life? Don't ask. So many things have happened (not in a good way) that the only things I will say is that the women I prefer avoid me like the plague, and the only women I attract are very rude and very racist women.

It has been a horrific last couple of years as things in my life have not gone in my favour. Hopefully, the new year will bring some change, good enough so that I can have at least a reason to feel good about things this time next year.

Later.

Eric

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, man. December birthdays mostly suck. Working retail on said December birthday is much worse. And you want to say, "But it's my birthday..." Yeah, it's never gotten me very far either. With any luck things will turn around for you here. I expect that's the upside of inconsistent fortune.

Also, did I miss the explanation as to why/how your family has disowned you? Is that too personal a question? Nevermind. Forget I asked.

Happy Birthday!!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been down the "disowned by family" road and I've spent several Christmas seasons by myself as well.
Hey, look: I'm doing it now!

Look on the bright side: you actually have a job and this crappy year's almost over.
That's what I keep telling myself- just another week or so and it's time for a fresh start...

For what it's worth, Happy Birthday!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Also, did I miss the explanation as to why/how your family has disowned you?"

If memory serves, his family was very very strict about their (Chinese?) heritage, and he... wasn't so much.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So he eats with a fork or something?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"Also, did I miss the explanation as to why/how your family has disowned you?"

If memory serves, his family was very very strict about their (Chinese?) heritage, and he... wasn't so much.

Tim's right on this one. Basically, it was an issue of my mom putting her foot down on "my way or the highway, no matter how wrong it is". On HER birthday. Not fun. Especially since she still has yet to learn that Respect is a two way street, something that is absent in Traditional Chinese Culture.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Better luck next year, for everyone here that's had a crappy one. And for those that had a great year, bugger off. [Smile]

The past five years have been a wash out for me, but, then again, I am a glutton for punishment.....

[ December 25, 2004, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: Ritten ]

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Tim's right on this one."

You needn't make that sound uncommon.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear that... Asian parents can be very demanding. Even though my mother is very laid back on some things... she just is stubborn on being Filipino Catholics and me becoming straight before I turn 30 so I can marry a white blonde woman she can grow to hate with a passion. So Eric I kinda know what a household like that feels like.

My sister and mom in the summer threw it down and she ended up moving out of the house and into San Francisco with our real dad... the father that my mother caught in bed with a man and gave her a good reason to move out of the Philippines and get a divorce. Anyway, my sister is happier to be out of the confines of my mother's views on family and duty and honor... yet she misses us and our 17 year old Mini-Schuazer who just got sick with seizures in December.

So what does this reply mean?
-Be glad you didn't end up taking a shotgun and have a standoff or like what I did in 2001 and I ended up stalking a guy with a semi-automatic handgun I bough from e-bay while posting my psychotic rants on Flare threating to play Russian Roulette and to take that son of a bitch of a bastard I'm stalking with me since he was getting ready to have a restraining order issued.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Next week on Days of Michael's Life...

Remind me never to fix you up with any of my gay friends, Mike-O. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer locals Jason...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Well, my pals live in Tampa so they're safe from you.

HOw did you buy a semi-auto off Ebay anyway?
Did you have to prve you had a liscence or age verification at least?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

Jason... you don't wanna know how I did it.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps