Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Enterprise Class (Page 0)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Enterprise Class
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mentioned a while back a way of explaining not only "Starship Class" but "Antares Class" too...

Think of it like taxonomy... Kingdom Phylum Class Order Family Genus Species Subspecies

"STARSHIP CLASS" could encompass a whole variety of other classes... including Constitution class, Excelsior Class and Miranda Class.

"ANTARES CLASS" could be another one of these superclasses... that encompass a wider range of sub classes... i.e. The Xhosa type etc. etc. etc. This could be for classes of ships that are generally considered for use as cargo vessels.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have any of you seen the episode "The Menagerie, Part 1"? I don't want to be rude, but I do feel that statements are being said as if they are authoritative.

The named episode gives us the only specific class for a starship in the run of Star Trek: the J Class Starship. By Capt. Kirk's era, this class was old.

The show Enterprise, surprisingly, is giving us a glimpse into the order of classes prior to the Kirkian Era. This order is matching what we know from this era.

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could have sworen there were plenty of other ships that had their classes named. Like the E-D, E-A, Def, Voy, Prometheus, maybe even the Nebula, New Orleans, & the Danube were named. And as I think about it so was the Constellation, Miranda, and Soyuz.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

me@webj.cjb.net
http://webj.cjb.net

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Constitution was said on screen in "The Naked Now"
New Orleans and Ambassador were said in "Conspiracy"
Galaxy was said in "Encounter At Farpoint"
Soyuz was said in "Cause And Effect"
Constellation was said in "The Battle"
Daedalus was said in "Power Play"
Defiant was said in "The Search" I believe...
Intrepid was said in "Caretaker"
Nova was said in "Equinox"

Dunno about the rest of the classes.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nebula was in The Wounded, and 'Defiant-class' didn't actually come up directly until either "Valiant" or "The Dogs of War." Danube was in "Emissary," I think (Sisko's first station log).

I'm racking my brain to get the first Excelsior mention. Not too much luck.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ST3, of course.

No, Danube's first mention was "Hippocratic Oath." I think up to then, I was calling them "Nile-class" ships.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The class was not mentioned in ST3, just the actual ship.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my posting, I was referring to the first series.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I was just about to point out that none of the episodes named were any time during the run of "Star Trek", which you specified in the original statement. (I'm pointing this out for the benefit of everyone who missed it. I'm sure you already know what you said. :-) )
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps it would be the most logical choice to say that the NCC-1701-nil was originally built as an Enterprise class vessel, and later refitted to Constitution specs?

That would jibe with most of the canonical data. The "Enterprise class" plaque next to the simulator might be an outdated one, from the days the simulator simulated the bridges of TOS era vessels. The canon references to "Constitution class" are either vague as to which version they refer to (like Picard's line in "Relics"), or specifically referring to the refitted version (like Scotty's picture or the "Naked Now" computer screen).

And of course, "1701" being the first of a class would be consistent with "01" being the first of a class. The Excelsior might usher in a new tradition of registration, or perhaps merely reinforce the old one in that non-operational "pre-prototype" testbeds get the double zero?

Or was there a mention of Constitution class in "Trials and Tribble-ations"? That would rain on my parade a *lot*. Alas.

Timo Saloniemi

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And we reach further...

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bunch of literalists.... you could drive someone freakin CRAZY!

SO Star Trek it is! Yeesh. I had assumed he meant Star Trek, not Star Trek [TOS--- hello that's why we use acronyms]... so I was going through all the ships that had a design shown on screen and were named at the same time --- or they had a design and later given a Class name. The New Orleans was not one of these [the name may have been given in Conspiracy and maybe again later... but never at those two times was the ship model shown on screen--- nor was a model shown later (those two ships either 1) destroyed in that episode and never shown before or 2) never shown because it was a historical reference from 20 years prior)]. I am not certain about the Ambassador Class--- out of the three or four times we've seen it I can't remember if one of those ships were specifically called an Ambassador Class. I can't remember any more right now...

Concerning NX vessels though. For TOS-VOY I'm considereing any NX vessels to have the same ship and class name. Thus Excelsior, Defiant, and Prometheus are respectively an Excelsior, a Defiant, and a Prometheus. And that assumption makes me believe that there are also NX in all classes.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

me@webj.cjb.net
http://webj.cjb.net

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then again, with Archer stating that the Enterprise is an NX-class starship, it raises an interesting possibility for registry numbers in that era. Perhaps the actual digits aren't locked out when you use them in a specific registry number. Depending on the ship class, we could see an NX-01, a J-01, a Y-01, etc. That is, of course, until they throw us another curve ball and give us a new class with a name instead of a letter code.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's an interesting possibility.

Personally, I don't get what the big deal is about the ship's registry. I think Bernd was ranting about it on his website -- "In Voyager NX-1 was the 'Dauntless!'" But of course, until we know that pre-Federation Starfleet registry carried over into Federation Starfleet, it's a pointless discussion, isn't it?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
I've always figured that "starship class" is like saying "cruiser class" or "freighter class" or something. It was simply the terminology used in 2245 for that type of ship.

"Class 1 heavy cruiser" would be in the same category. Just, sometime between 2245 and whenever this newer term appeared, the E's classifiaction was changed. Just different terminology.

"Enterprise class" is a the simulator, not the ship.

And "Constitution class" is the actual class name of the ship, as derived per tradition from the prototype ship's name.

That, in my opinion, is the easiest, most sensical way to look at it.

I've got to go with the above as the most logical (and aesthetically satisfying) answer.

I will point out, though, that Starfleet designations for Romulan ships have included the phrase "B-type Warbird", referring to what is otherwise referred to as the D'deridex. Not to assume what I'm agreeing with, but perhaps there was a prior Warbird which, though rather "D'deridexish", wasn't quite the same, or was an earlier model.

Similarly, one could refer to a "B-type Constitution" . . . or, more properly, the "Enterprise sub-type".

The big problem I see with referring to the Enterprise post-2271 as "Enterprise Class" would be that you could then give a different class name to all sorts of mostly similar vessels . . . the USS Lakota from Deep Space Nine, which could also be referred to as Enterprise Class (or Enterprise-B Class).

And heaven forbid we start counting all those kooky-topped Nebulas. :-)

Guardian 2000

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.