Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Baton Rouge Class (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Baton Rouge Class
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a render of USS Baton Rouge and USS Mann sent to me by a fellow named David Kroth. He bravely shows off all the parts not visible in the schematics or painting.
 -

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Woody:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
You a member of Starshipmodeler.com?
CHeck the forums.
There's an ongoing 1:1000thread over there and they're even scartchbuilding the Kobaysai Maru.

Yes I'm a member. The builder of the Kobyasu Maru has found out that he is actually building the Tritium Class cruiser. http://www.stguardian.to/mixed/spacechron/tritiumbeauty.jpg This is also the ship that will be offered as a kit.
I was wondering about the design's origin: the Kobyashi Maru (to me) will always be the Lotus Flower design from FASA.

That Masao (or was it Rev?) kid's got a nice version though.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jim NCC1701A
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for Jim NCC1701A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nobody even mentioned the Vintage Starships site http://vintagestarships.tripod.com/mainpages/vintagestarships.htm
Strange since both Masao and Harry are acknowledged...

Click UFP, then Cruisers. Baton Rouge is second from bottom in the list of Medium Cruisers.

Cheers!

Jim.

--------------------
It's life Jim, but not as we know it...

Woody
Member # 1337

- posted      Profile for Woody     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jim NCC1701A:
Nobody even mentioned the Vintage Starships site http://vintagestarships.tripod.com/mainpages/vintagestarships.htm
Strange since both Masao and Harry are acknowledged...

Click UFP, then Cruisers. Baton Rouge is second from bottom in the list of Medium Cruisers.

Cheers!

Jim.

That is a good site as well. I like their Baton Rouge upgrade with TOS era warp nacelles.

--------------------
"An armed society is a polite society"

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
an additional Baton-Rouge-class image exists in a Marvel Trek comic published in 1980. It's an aft view of the U.S.S. Republic NCC-1371 (in one panel, mislabeled NCC-1373, an erroneous reference that was quoted as the registry of Republic in the FASA game.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Woody
Member # 1337

- posted      Profile for Woody     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Capped in Mike:
an additional Baton-Rouge-class image exists in a Marvel Trek comic published in 1980. It's an aft view of the U.S.S. Republic NCC-1371 (in one panel, mislabeled NCC-1373, an erroneous reference that was quoted as the registry of Republic in the FASA game.

Wow, Can anyone provide a scan of the comic book Baton Rouge class?

--------------------

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot about that! I can get a scan, but I won't be at my Dad's until monday.

edit:
Oh! Seems I already had this one scanned:
 -

I don't remember if there was anything else useful in the comic I have, but I'll check on Monday.

Woody
Member # 1337

Thank you very much! I'm getting quite a Baton Rouge collection.

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something to add to the collection: the good old Starship Reference Chart that lists one "Nordenskj�ld class", supposedly the interpretation of the Aridas Sofia/Todd Guenther team of the Baton Rouge class (or one of its subvariants, at any rate). The Chart shows a silhouette only, but we see a rather more bulbous ventral saucer structure than portrayed in the above images, and (IIRC) a deflector/sensor dish attached to the saucer rather than to the secondary hull.

Anybody care to add a link to the Chart? I'm lazy all year 'round, but summers are especially bad...

Timo Saloniemi

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I was wondering about the design's origin: the Kobyashi Maru (to me) will always be the Lotus Flower design from FASA.
The Tritium class from the Spaceflight chronology was used as the cover art for the novel "The Kobayashi Maru," hence the erroneous association. Apparently the cover artist just used whatever "old" Star Trek art he had on hand.

I believe the only other two versions of the Kobayashi Maru in printed form were the Fasa Lotus Flower, and another design from a fan-produced publication, whch can be seen at the Advanced Starship Design Bureau.

Of course, speaking canonically, it's possible that the KM simulation uses a fictitious ship, without any class reference except for the vague "Class III Neutronic Fuel Carrier." I don't believe that it's a real ship in the ST universe.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think "Neutronic Fuel" is disinformation to prevent raids- the freighter actually carries vital supplies of Beer to the outer colonies.

It's all that holds the Federation together.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW, neither the Tritium nor the Lotus Flower match the dimensions given in that ST2 screen readout.

What is "vague" about "Class Ill Neutronic"? The fact that the audience may not be familiar with Mr Ill Neutronic and his achievements in the field of enology?

Timo Saloniemi

Woody
Member # 1337

Hey Timo, When you get a chance I'd like to see the Baton Rouge profile you mentioned.

--------------------

Woody
Member # 1337

This is the version of the KM that I'm leaning toward as far as a build.  -

--------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that's the 2nd printed version I mentioned.

Timo: By "vague" I was referring to the fact that it didn't have a class name, but of course when the film was made, those kinds of details weren't as prevalent as they would be later.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.