Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » starship Tashik-Sotra? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: starship Tashik-Sotra?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"If you look like chapel, and like wearing that red uniform..."

Blue, I should think...

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, and then when Spock does the "Remember" to Bones, he gets a little bonus.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
On a more serious note, where does the name "Tashik Sotra" come from? I can't find any place, person, or thing with that name.

Presumably, it was designed to sound alien in origin, perhaps Vulcan.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. As bizarre as it may seem for ME to help get a thread back on topic, it does seem odd that, having started with a coupla lists of names from Justman and Fontana, and the list of registries from "Court Martial" (from a film loop he managed to obtain! Ah, 'tis quaint. . .), he then puts them together by a convoluted but logical method, and finishes off with a huge list which leaves out several of the more unusual naming choices in favour of Tashik-Sotra, which comes out of nowehere.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again, the list at the end including the Tashik-Sotra was NOT Jein's creation but part of Ruth Berman's addendum to the article.

quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/646/Jein1.jpg
http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/646/Jein2.jpg
http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/646/Jein3.jpg
http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/646/Jein4.jpg
http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/646/Jein5.jpg

Ruth Berman either made it up specifically for that list or included it from some fanfic that either she or an acquaintance had written. See where she says:
quote:
Many of the names and numbers are autocratic additions, but I have included the aforestated "official" names as well. You are, of course, free to regard this with approval, disapproval, or indifference.
-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And she's from crazy-town. As illustrated above.

So forgive my ignorance about what precisely we are discussing here, but are we conjecturing about the size of star fleet at the time of "Court Martial"? (i.e. 12 starships) Twelve is a larger number than you think it is. Or is this merely the number of Constitution class ships (where there would be a bunch of more rinky-dink ships too)?

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Twelve is a larger number than you think it is.
Shit.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much larger is twelve than I think it is?
[Confused]

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two.
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's that NEW MATH

as opposed to Southern Math ( One, Two, & Many)

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps