Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Possible Nebula-Class Explanation (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Possible Nebula-Class Explanation
Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello.

When several starships were converted from the physical models to CGI ones, the Nebula-Class obviously was heavily modified with Galaxy parts. The saucer was "upgraded" with more windows and two impulse engines (though not as obvious as the Galaxy-Class's) while losing the Starfleet insignia and aft phaser arrays. The deflector changed in shape to be more eliptical like the Galaxy-Class and lost the roundness to it.

Though it is obvious the reason to this is poor attention to detail when converting the Nebula-Class into the digital world, I have created a quite plausable theory on why the differences have occured taking on account that we know Starfleet refits their vessels, Nebula-Class ships were put in service during the Cardassian War (and thus the design is a little older), and the DS9 manual, even with its mistakesm hints at "uprated" Nebula-Class ships with more power, etc...Anyway, I would like other people's opinion on my explanation.

"...Many parts of the Nebula are shared with the Galaxy class such as the warp nacelles, and the warp core, along with a few of the computer systems. However, there are many more differences. In the Nebula's long service with Starfleet, it has gone through at least two generations of design.

The first generation Nebula had some subtle differences with the Galaxy. For instance, the saucer section on a first generation Nebula cannot separate and had fewer windows. As a result, the first generation Nebula had only one main impulse engine and was not equipped with saucer mounted engines like the Galaxy. The location on the saucer where the impulse engines would have been on the Galaxy were fitted with a short phaser array. The USS Sutherland is one such example.

A first generation Nebula also had fewer windows on its saucer. There is a theory that the Nebula was designed and put into service before the Galaxy. If so, it is possible that the saucer was not fitted to its full extent with crew quarters and other facilities such as a Galaxy's saucer.

One other feature was also unique to a first generation Nebula: her deflector dish. The deflector dish on such a vessel was of different shape than the Galaxy's. It is possible the design and shape of the first generation Nebula deflector was under influence of the Ambassador-Class. This would explain the dish's more roundish shape.

Somewhere along the line, the Nebula recieved an upgrade. This was the birth of the second generation Nebula. These ships were more powerful and versitile than their predecessor. One of the most noticeable upgrades was the addition of two saucer mounted impulse drives. This could suggest that the second generation Nebula can seperate and/or has more maneuverability with these additions.

Along with these new engines, the saucer also recieved more windows like the Galaxy. This suggests that the saucer has been fitted with more crew quarters and other facilities not present on a first generation Nebula.

The second generation also replaced the rounder shaped deflector dish with a more elliptical one like the Galaxy..."

Anyway, this is part of what I wrote for a class article for my website, the Nebula-Class Starship Database (NCSD).

Any thoughts?

------------------
Ace

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where is your website?

------------------
"Neil says hi by the way" - Tear In Your Hand, Tori Amos

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't the CGI version of the Nebula actually remove the tiny vents we like to think of as impulse engines?

------------------
"If Picard was set loose on a Monopoly board, he'd try and establish peaceable diplomatic relations with Marvin Gardens and give St. James Place wide berth so that its culture could develop without interference."
--
L. Fitzgerald Sjoberg
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Because I'm the passenger, and I ride and I ride.

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello.

My website is at http://nebulaclass.homestead.com

The site has been going through a revamp, but only the Gallery section hasn't been fully updated to the new interface...just visit it!

Anyway...

"Didn't the CGI version of the Nebula actually remove the tiny vents we like to think of as impulse engines?"

Actually, these pics of the USS Honshu, NCC-60205, show otherwise, unless those are not impulse engines...

Opinions?

------------------
Ace

[This message has been edited by Ace (edited July 27, 2000).]

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, that looks like someone just filled up the standard Galaxy impulse engines. Were this a physical model, I'd say it was a botched paint job, but this is CGi, so I don't know what to say...

------------------
"Fragile. Do not drop"
--posted on a Boeing 757

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I'd like to know is why the ship in the picture has a pylon registry number beginning with a 7 and ending in a 6... What ship is this, actually?

Somehow, these covered-up engine ports do not strike me as impulse-engine-like at all, any more than the complete lack of nozzlelike features in the physical model.

Perhaps Starfleet had gradually abandoned Nebula construction when Galaxies became available and affordable, and had been producing a number of Galaxy saucers in advance. When the war began to eat away at the fleet, it became evident that all the projected Galaxies could not be finished, whereas Nebulas could be constructed instead at a lower cost. Or then some Nebulas suffered severe saucer damage but had relatively intact stardrive sections. Either way, Starfleet simply took a couple fo Galaxy saucers off the Galaxy production line and hastily converted them into Nebula saucers.

Some of the Galaxy features could be put to use aboard the ships, including the new windows. But even a modern Nebula didn't need / couldn't accommodate saucer impulse engines, so the already existing berths for them in the saucer were hastily faired over. These cavities also meant no aft phasers could be installed.

The differently shaped secondary hull bow and nav deflector would have to be interpreted as an upgrade / improved production batch, just as suggested by Ace. But the saucer details could be "downgrades" dictated by the circumstances.

Timo Saloniemi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this might be the NCC-70915, apparently named USS Bogue.

------------------
Pickhard: "What is our progress, Beta?"
Beta: "Excellent, captain. I require only one more Thunderstone to evolve my Pikachu to level 47."
-from the Sev Trek movie trailer

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it's the Bogue. I have this picture on my hard drive. It looks like this is the pic they used in the Ships of the Line calendar.

------------------
Teddy Roosevelt: "Speak softly and carry a big stick."
Yosemite Sam: "Well, I speak loudly and I carry a bigger stick...and I use it too!"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ace. Welcome to the forum.

I still have to check your Nebula class theory and your website in detail. Anyway, it looks nice.

Two things I noticed: The ship's width should be 467m, and the Honshu should be rather a first-generation Nebula, considering its registry.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Evolved
Member # 389

Hello.

"Actually, that looks like someone just filled up the standard Galaxy impulse engines..."

I know, but I just found something strange...if you go to the starshipmodeler.com website and check out the DS9 Reference Pics- Nebula-Class, the USS Leeds, NCC-70352, has these semi-engines...What are these doing on the physical model? I'm assuming the model hasn't been touched up since Generations.

"Somehow, these covered-up engine ports do not strike me as impulse-engine-like at all...Starfleet simply took a couple fo Galaxy saucers off the Galaxy production line and hastily converted them into Nebula saucers."

That could be right, but then where are the impulse engines on the current Nebulae? Could this be some sort of advanced impulse engine system like a shuttle's engine which don't have the traditional grill look? I'm not sure really why you would go the extra step of removing the engines if they are already there...

"Hi Ace. Welcome to the forum."

Thanks.

"Two things I noticed: The ship's width should be 467m, and the Honshu should be rather a first-generation Nebula, considering its registry."

Ships width: I'm sure you have some source as to this number.

USS Honshu: Well, my thinking is this second generation was an upgrade and not a whole new type like the Excelsior Type I and Type II. Sure, at NCC-60205, it's the lowest registry we know, but using a system based on registry alone would make the USS Sutherland a second generation vessel. She may very well be now, but not when we last saw her. I'd bet that this transition from the first batch to the second batch would be similar to the Galaxy-Class upgrades we see (added phasers on warp nacelles and neck).

Thoughts?

------------------
Ace

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen a lot of calculations which got a length of 440 meters as a result.

------------------
"I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'."
- Buffy

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nicely spotted, that Leeds thing!

Oh, yes, and welcome, Ace! Forgot in the first reply

Of course, this raises a couple of questions:

1) Why the heck did the modelmakers create these not-quite-impulse-engines for the Leeds? Did they want to address the lack of such engines in the previous models, but found out it would have been too difficult to cut actual holes in the model for Galaxy-style engines?

2) Why were the aft phaser strips removed? Why not for example relocated? Was there any logic or other systematic thinking or method-in-the-madness involved? Or did the modelmakers just say "Let's change things a bit"?

3) If these details match the GCI ship, then perhaps the Leeds also had those extra windows on the saucer. Are there any top views anywhere? The side shots at starshipmodeler are too fuzzy. Then again, the nav deflector on the Leeds looks like it always used to be, at least to me - so the Leeds differs from the CGI ships at least slightly.

4) Looking closely at the aft view, doesn't it look as if the weapons pod now sports SIX aft torpedo tubes instead of the two on the Sutherland/Farragut model (look at the black dots)? Has the number of forward tubes been increased from two as well?

As for speculation, I now think the Nebulas might always have had a non-glowing impulse engine that is located neither behind these odd cowlings, nor in the tiny grilles that used to lie under the saucer lip. Instead, the long horizontal rectangles with tiny squares at the ends could be the actual impulse engines - they are AFAIK present in all the models and renderings. This might be some sort of an impulse signature masking system, experimented on here in a modern warship design but not installed on the Galaxies due to their less warlike nature - the status of the Galaxies as the UFP showcase ships would not require nor really accommodate signature-masking systems of this kind.

And in any case, the experiment was an apparent failure - the only other ship with non-glowing impulse engines seems to be the Prometheus, while the modern Sabres and Sovereigns and are back to prominently glowing engines.

Timo Saloniemi

[This message has been edited by Timo (edited July 28, 2000).]

Timo
Member # 245

Something I just noticed... The Leeds retains her aft saucer phasers. Is it certain that the CGI ship omits these? In the pictures Ace posted, the orange highlighting obscures this very location.

With increased firepower in the battle pod, it would only be logical for the aft phasers to be removed - they are blocked by the pod anyway.

Timo Saloniemi

[This message has been edited by Timo (edited July 28, 2000).]

Evolved
Member # 389

Hello.

Here's a partial shot of the USS Bogue under attack in "Message in a Bottle".

Notice that along with the "hidden" impulse engines, the aft arrays are not present.

I still believe the arrays are important, esp. when the pod is not attached.

Thoughts?

------------------
Ace

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quick question:

I didn't had the time yet to check out the DS9 Reference Pics at starshipmodeler.com, but is the USS Leeds canon?

------------------
Advertisement in the United Federation NewsPADD, SD 53675:

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Antares class vessels, as good as new! They can shapeshift! Everybody in the galaxy has one! Now for only $800!"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps