Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » How does the Bible contradict itself? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: How does the Bible contradict itself?
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well?

------------------
"Omega is right."
-Jeff Karrde, March 18, 2001 08:47 PM

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the most glaring example is:

"Thou shalt not commit murder"
when combined with
"Go slaughter every human being in this entire city."

I don't care if they were heathens, I don't care if it was war, you CANNOT call the wholesale extermination of EVERY human life, young and old, ANYTHING but murder and genocide.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, but murder is an illegal and/or immoral killing. I'd say that an omniscient God is in far better a position than you to determine the morality of... well, pretty well anything. Wouldn't you?

------------------
"Omega is right."

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. Why? Because there is no such thing as god. If some prophet told me to kill people because "an omniscient god" said to I'd string him up by his 'nads and see how real his god was. But that's just me, a lowly atheist who doesn't believe in superstitions, myths, fables, the Bible etc.

From a slightly more diplomatic viewpoint, consider this. As there is no proof of a god, no matter how religious you are, and no matter how strong your faith is, you can't be sure that there exists a god. So if someone slaughters people in the name of a god, there is, even from your viewpoint, a possibility that they doing so wrongfully, which is a travesty.

So let me put this to you. If there is an all-powerful god who wants a race destroyed, why doesn't he do it himself? If you have faith in your god, let it look after the punishment. You may reply with something like "But God doesn't actively control the world, he just sets the ball rolling" or something like that, to which I would reply:
1. Why?
2. If there is an afterlife, why doesn't God punish them then?

I'm sorry but there are just too many holes and contradictions in the Bible, (and every other aspect of the religion) to continue this without realizing that I am wasting my time.

------------------
"If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing."

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Omega: I though your position on abortion was that it was murder, an illegal and immoral killing.

How, pray tell, does ordering the killing of an already-born child, but still a child, differ?

Not willing to justify infanticide?

Then either your position is wrong,
Or God sometimes tells people to do immoral things.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't God tell someone (Job?) to prove his loyalty by killing his son? Sure, God stopped him before Job killed his own child, but still ... that's not exactly love, is it? Tormenting people like that?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was Abraham.

Now to quote Inherit the Wind: The Bible is a book. A good book. But it is not the only book.

------------------
"In a completely unrelated news story, I have a date tomorrow night."
- Omega, in trying to explain why pigs are now flying, why Microsoft products are now working perfectly, hell freezing over, and George W Bush giving a flawless speech. 04/06/01, 12:17AM

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited April 27, 2001).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Yahweh told Abraham to kill his son (Ishmael, not Isaac), but stopped him at the last moment. Yahweh didn't tell Job to kill his kids. Yahweh had Satan kill Job's kids.

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't sure who the story was about ... but I knew I had the basics correct.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't "God" also murdered innocent children when Moses kill all the first born in Egypt?

------------------
What is the difference between a terriorist and your girlfriend?
- With terrorist, there is a chance of negotiation.

Omega
Member # 91

TSN:

Yahweh told Abraham to kill his son (Ishmael, not Isaac)

No, it was Isaac. Ishmael was gone by this point.

Rob:

How, pray tell, does ordering the killing of an already-born child, but still a child, differ?

Because God orders it, and it is therefore by definition moral. You can't know the possible futures. God, being omniscient, can.

So... any REAL contradictions in the Bible?

------------------
"Omega is right."

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

That was the Angel of Death who whacked the firstborn of Egypt after God hardened pharoah's heart for the fourth or fifth time so that he wouldn't let the people go after he'd already agreed to, just so God could make an example of him.

But then, the Angel of Death 'vass only followink orders, ya?'

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

>"Because God orders it, and it is therefore by definition moral."

OOH, but that's a very VERY slippery slope one opens up when one buys into THAT explanation...

Hey, what if God tells me (Or I THINK or CLAIM Got tells me) to take you out with a bazooka? That makes it moral?

Listen, just because some kook claims God is telling him something doesn't mean that God is. Just because the people who wrote the history or told the story CLAIMED God was on their side doesn't mean He was. More likely they were using God to justify anything they did.

In fact, I think there was some great dictator or mass murder who frequently said "God is on our side" but I can't remember who it was.

------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK...so if Sindri (the God of Probabilty) & Renae (the Goddess of Entropy) tell me that it's time for my neighbor's dog to become discontinuous in this universe, I can gleefully go & use it for a blood eagle and then simply tell the arresting officers that two-thirds of my triad said it was OK & they'll let me go?

Well FUCK, man!! What the fuck am I payin' this goddamned lawyer for?!?

------------------
"I'm beginning to think that there'll be NO forced mating at ALL!" --Professor Hubert T. Farnsworth

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, its obvious any contradictions these guys come up with, you're going to have some answer to, "God is always right" and so on. so really is there a point to this exercise?

------------------
Signatures are for losers

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  11  12  13   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps