Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » U.S.S. Santa Maria (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: U.S.S. Santa Maria
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does this Galaxy-class ship exist?

Let the discussion begin...

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably, but whether or not its called Santa Maria is another thing. I worked this name out by enhancing & tracing the image of the ship but that was almost a year ago & I'm not so sure now...but then again I never was.
I look at it now & I think the second word is "Hope"

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Does this Galaxy-class ship exist?

I hope this ship wasn't in any episode, because NCC-70564 is lower than the Galaxy's.
I sent an email to Mojo. Let's see what he says about this ship.

[ July 20, 2001: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. And having a registry number lower than the class-designation ship would be unprecedented, woudn't it?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, yes. The only Federation Starfleet "NX" registries we know of are the Constellation, Excelsior, Ambassador, Galaxy, Danube, Bradbury, Defiant, and Prometheus. And, even at that, the only ones that are strictly canon are the Constellation, Excelsior, Defiant, Prometheus, and possibly Bradbury. As far as I know, there have never been any contradictions w/ those.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he was reffering to the rather minor problem with the Constitution registeries.

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if it said 'Shiku Maru'?

Oh wait...that wouldn't work, would it?

I don't believe registries are sequential, so that's not the same sort of problem for me.

After all, we had numbers of NCC-2120 and NCC-3801 canonically confirmed in TMP and TWOK. Not to mention the little already-mentioned-many-times-over bit about the Constitution/Constellation mishap. Plus, we also had two U.S.S. Ahwahnees in the TNG timeframe, ant the second one had a registy about 200 digits lower than the first! There are plenty of other examples, but I think I've made my point...

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
What if it said 'Shiku Maru'?

Oh wait...that wouldn't work, would it?

I don't believe registries are sequential, so that's not the same sort of problem for me.

After all, we had numbers of NCC-2120 and NCC-3801 canonically confirmed in TMP and TWOK. Not to mention the little already-mentioned-many-times-over bit about the Constitution/Constellation mishap. Plus, we also had two U.S.S. Ahwahnees in the TNG timeframe, ant the second one had a registy about 200 digits lower than the first! There are plenty of other examples, but I think I've made my point...

Well firstly I belive they are sequencial, for the simple reason that for the vast majority, they are. Your taking the exception as proof to the rule.
NCC-2xxx + regs in the 23rd century can be explaned (at a stretch) by saying that the excelsior was in developement for a very long time & retained the NX-2000 while other older ships were being built after it was started.
the 2 Ahwahnees are easy to do away with, u can easily say that the second Ahwahnee was originally named something else & the name was changed & the ship given the the surviving crew of the first. just like the Yorktown. A similar explanation covers the constitution problem (to a point).

But this Galaxy registery is alot trickier to explane...

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Just thought I'd re-post the Rev's pics:

So, it does look a bit like 'Hope.' I wonder what it could be. If it is Something Hope, here are a few possibilities:

1. U.S.S. Cape Hope
2. U.S.S. Good Hope
3. (A cheesy in-joke)
U.S.S. A New Hope

[ July 20, 2001: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, did this have any caption under it, like in the other calendars?

--------------------
Meh

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, not to be impertinent or anything, but can't we just ignore it?

The reg is obviously hopelessly inconsistent and its impossible to get a definite name, its not from onscreen so it ain't canon. So...if it causes more trouble than its worth - fuck it.

Am I wrong?

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, for the people like me who assign the status of "canon" to only the material seen on-screen, there really isn't anything to be concerned about. Unless this ship was actually sneaked into an episode, we can ignore it.

However, Monkey of Mim is of another group of people that assign "canon" status to all material authorized by Paramount. So for that group, this ship will pose a problem. So for them, I propose this solution in accepting the registry: this registry was originally assigned in a block of numbers issued to (for sake of argument) Nebula class starships. This particular number wasn't used, and when the Galaxy class building increased, this number was reassigned to a new Galaxy. This particularly works if you don't believe that registries are strictly chronological. But this solution poses a sticky problem of being lower than the USS Galaxy's.

Anyone else have a better idea?

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

I always have a better idea.
Its obvious really, a pocket of stellar gas affected a weather satelight and refracted the light from sirius....um....it was a criminal from the 29th century playing silly buggers with the time line, causing the Galaxy-class to be built earlier...a separated sauser section from a nebula (can they do that?) has been intigrated with a galaxy stardrive, just for kicks.

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Um...guys?

Can we please concentrate on trying to find out what the name says? IS it 'Santa Maria,' or is it something else?

Was this calender done by FI? If so, can we contact them, or attract attention from Mojo, or something?

Hey wait! That's a great idea:
http://flare.solareclipse.net/cgi2/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=001332

What do y'all think? I'm a genius. I know.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right (I think) about that "Hope" part at the end of the Galaxy's name. What could it be? They must have wrote something on there.
And, what was this calendar like? Was it like one of those monthly ones, with one picture a month, or a tear-off one, with a picture each day? If so, it must have had some sort of caption. Does anyone have it?

--------------------
Meh

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.