Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » My first car. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: My first car.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose that Cartman would be a bit perturbed by the dedication plaques for my cars

complete with quotes
Captain's Yacht
quote:
It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll, I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. Invictus, William Ernest Henley.

Mystery Ship:
quote:
Ride, Captain, ride/Upon your mystery ship/Be amazed at the friends/You have here on your trip/Ride, Captain, ride/Upon your mystery ship/On your way to a world/That others might have missed.--Blues Image.

[ December 10, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You people are very, very cool.

If anyone else gives there car a name (or any sort of Trek terminology), I shall set the Italians on them.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first, and only car, is of course my 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GX Coupe.

It's nickname: Alero Alpha

Named After:

1997 Oldsmobile Alero Alpha Concept

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I should change my status line to "It's a Peugeot thing" a la Jeff.
Anyway, I went to pick up the car, but when we got to the Post Office to change the ownership the woman behind the counter said I needed a document from the town hall proving where I was living. I didn't have the form with me yesterday, so I had to arrange to pick it up today. Which means taking another half-day out of my holidays
But soon, SOON, it will be MINE!!!!!

[ December 11, 2001: Message edited by: Jernau Morat Gurgeh ]

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch. But then again, you can always expect something to come up when you get a car. For example, there's the wonderful scenario that I and my parents went through to get my current car, a Saturn SL2, this past summer.

My mother and I go to a car lot about an hour away on the other side of town that is having a discounted down-payment and monthly loan repayment special. My car, the Cavalier, has a coolant leak somewhere, a near-death water pump, a busted radio, and a frozen compressor (which means no air conditioning, heating, venting, or defrosting). In short, I'd need about another $2000 to fix up an already 11 year-old car. My mother wasn't going to let me waste my money like that.

We go there, and I finally settle on the Saturn. We had to go through the loan process twice that evening. First, we tried to get the loan and title of the car under my name. That was a no-go. The loan company refused to accept me because as the principal signer because I was not employed at the time and because the job I was going to have in a couple months only paid $450 a month. Of course, the car payments are only $254 a month. So, we refill-out the loan paperwork with my mother as the principal signer. By this time, it was near 10 p.m.

Next day, the sales representative calls my house and says that the loan company can't accept the loan request yet. They don't want me on the loan application period. Plus, the financial information filled out included my mother's income plus my father's income. That means that my mother and father would have to go back to the dealership and fill out the information again without me on the application. But this set up another major problem.

Without going into a long story, there is a wide age gap between my father and mother. It was a May-December romance, and right now my dad is old to not be trusted behind the wheel of the car. He stopped driving at around the time I started driving; I inherited the Cavalier from him. He got into a few too-many minor accidents, and we decided to not allow him to drive anymore. Anyway, for the loan application, he needed to provide proof of identity. They wanted his birth certificate or Social Security card and drivers license/state ID.

After tearing the house apart, I found his birth certificate. But his old drivers license was gone. It turns out that a couple years earlier, he cut up and threw away his drivers license. At that time, he hadn't been driving for five years, and he never thought that he would need it again. So what happened? I had to take him to the Department of Public Safety (Texas' DMV) to get him a State ID. Two hours in that place to get a state ID! And it was an early Thursday morning! Anyway, we got the temporary license, and promises that the permanent photo ID would be arriving in two weeks. No problems.

The state ID comes, and so my mother and father go to the dealership and fill out the paperwork again. The next day, the sales representative calls back and says that the loan company has rejected the application again. The reason? My father was still listed as an insured driver on our auto insurance policy. Since he doesn't have a drivers license, the loan company doesn't want to see his name on the proof of insurance. So, we all hike over to the insurance office and rework our family policy so that my father's no longer an insured driver (not that he's actually driven a car in seven years). Of course, this raises our insurance rate a bit. My parents then go back to the dealership again and fill out the paperwork yet again. This time, the loan company accepts it and processes it. It's finally approved.

That was a hell of hassle, but the dealership was a good sport about it. They allowed us to go ahead and take the car and use it while the loan situation was straightened out. And it was a pretty good experience -- except for the loan part.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
If anyone else gives there car a name (or any sort of Trek terminology), I shall set the Italians on them.

Her name's Sheyja. She told me so. Bring it on, sucka.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I call mine the Delta Flyer.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. Not really.

[Edit: I was hoping that the page break would end up between them, oh well.]

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first car was a huge boxy 1982 Thunderbird. Named "The Warbird."

My second car was a 1989 Mercury Cougar Blue Max special edition. Called "Maxine."

My newest car is a 1998 Ford Taurus. I have not yet named it.

I am considering "Taurus Bulba."

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always referred to my car by the affectionate appellation of "my car". Or sometimes "the Intrepid", if mentioning it relative to the rest of my family's cars.

[ December 11, 2001: Message edited by: TSN ]

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Until this car, I've never actually had a NAME for my car.... not a people name, at least....

My first car was an 86 Chevy Cavalier Coupe called "Little Car go Beep Beep" until it got totalled. Then my temporary replacement, an 82 Chevy Truck was called "Big Truck go Vroom Vroom". My next car, an 85 Ford Tempo never got an official name.... pet names though... "Stupid Mother $%@#&! Piece of Crap" and the likes....

This car though, she'd got a name-- Christine. Just like the car in Stephen King's book. It's a 96 Honda Civic LX that I love more than anything, but the fact is, she's possessed by the devil.... soooooooooo....... yeah. Christine it is.

And as a side note, I'm car shopping right now... I want a 2000 Honda Accord 4 door EX series in silver with a spoiler, tinted windows, and a sunroof. So far, I haven't founbd it, but I've getting closer... *grin* Wish me luck :-)

~LOA

--------------------
"You are anal twattypoo who has ruined my good mood" PsyLiam to TSN May 01,2006.

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds like a nightmare alright, Siegfried. Anyway, I found the form I needed and went back to get the car yesterday evening. Everything went fine and I took the car home. Now I've just to sort out the insurance. Should be about 70 euros per month, and the tax is only about 20 euros per month (they've already switched to euros for some official stuff here). I've also to get my parking permit from my landlady, but it should all go pretty smoothly, hopefully.

LOA: What do you think of the Saab 900 turbo from the 80's? If I was spending a bit more on a car, that's what I'd get. A black convertible one, with beige leather seats.

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sets the Italians on Shik*

I meant it. The amount of penis bragging going on in this thread is already disturbing. Freud would have kittens if he knew that they'd all be named after women.

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My last car was a 1982 Ford Futura, the plate number started with AANL so we called it the "ANAL PROBE"

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meh. Like I can help attracting women. Though, if it makes you feel any better, Liam, a friend of my roommates named Caleb asked me if he could go down on me last night.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps