Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » datas song in nemesis

Author Topic: datas song in nemesis
TorgaDaxIV
Member # 617

- posted      Profile for TorgaDaxIV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does that song make its first appearance in nemesis or did data sing that song in a previous episode?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When did Data ever sing in an episode?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Data has never sung in any episode. He did try to whistle in the pilot, but that was it for the whole series. His first bit of singing was in Generations with his "Tiny Little Lifeforms" bit. And "Blue Skies" has never appeared anywhere else in Trek.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Triton
Member # 1043

- posted      Profile for Triton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The song that Commander Data sings at the wedding is "Blue Skies" written by Irving Berlin for the 1946 musical titled Blue Skies starring Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire. Fred Astaire sings this song in the movie if I remember correctly.

Remember when Data bursts into song, Worf growls in disgust: "Irving Berlin"?

Some of the famous songs written by Irving Berlin include: "How Deep Is the Ocean?", "White Christmas", "Always", "Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better", "There's No Business Like Show Business", "Cheek To Cheek", "Puttin' On The Ritz", "Easter Parade", "Top Hat, White Tie and Tails", "God Bless America", and "Let's Face The Music And Dance". Berlin died in 1989 at the age of 101.

I don't believe that Data ever sang in the Star Trek: The Next Generation television series, I only remember his "Ode to Spot" poem and that he was fond of playing the violin.

The first time that Data sang was during Star Trek: Insurrection(1998), and the song he sang with Picard accompanying him was "A British Tar" by Gilbert & Sullivan from their musical HMS Pinafore.

Brent Spiner enjoys to sing, in 1988 he released a CD titled Ol' Yellow Eyes is Back and was the singer on the cruise ship in the 1997 Walter Matthau and Jack Lemon comedy Out to Sea. He also appeared in musical theatre productions of Little Shop of Horrors, Sunday in the Park with George, The Three Musketeers, and Big River.

Probably more information than you wanted to know. But in answer to your question,"Blue Skies" did not debut in Star Trek: Nemesis and Data never sang in the Star Trek: The Next Generation television series.

PS-- Whoops! Forgot about the "Lifeforms" song from Star Trek: Generations, is that based on any song?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would kill for someone to sing "Tiny Little Lifeforms" on Pop Idol.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would kill someone who sang on Pop Idol.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SMASH MOUTH IS BETTER THAN QUEEN.

With apologies to UM.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Triton:

Brent Spiner .... also appeared in musical theatre productions of Little Shop of Horrors, Sunday in the Park with George, The Three Musketeers, and Big River.

He was also John Adams in the Broadway revival of the musical "1776".

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
he whistled on TNG.. what was that song? i can't remember.. *hugs Troi*
Triton
Member # 1043

In "Encounter at Farpoint" Data is whistling "Pop Goes the Weasel." Remember how Riker jumps in and finishes the tune for him?
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-small joke- by the time of Nemesis, Riker looking back could not remember the tune that Data had whistled
Triton
Member # 1043

Right [Wink] Now I remember that line from Star Trek: Nemesis.
djewell
Member # 1111

- posted      Profile for djewell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty sad, really. I liked Lifeforms from "Generations."

--------------------
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

-Einstein

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps