Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Intrepid-class Deck Plans (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Intrepid-class Deck Plans
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flare Neophyte here...

Some years ago (decade...?), I published a set of fan-produced deck plans for the Enterprise-A, as well as a tech manual entitled "Starfleet Dynamics". The deck plans were strictly non-canon (although I did try to pay attention to the set/soundstage measurements).

I am finishing off a set of Intrepid-class deck plans. Again, I have paid close attention to the soundstage dimensions, as well as a fair amount of military book-knowledge.

1 - Before I make some serious snafoos, could anyone possessing the Voyager cutaway poster (I haven't been able to find one) please advise if a careful study of same indicates any hereto-unknown compartments on any decks?

2 - Has anyone scanned and posted (or could they post or e-mail) said poster? If not possible (I know the thing must be fairly large), would anyone possessing said poster wish to volunteer as a proofreader for the deck plans?

I know that my plans won't be canon, but I strive for as much accuracy as I can achieve.

(And no, I won't be using the cheap, cut & paste / blurred style of the Enterprise-D plans. These are in 128 colors - but aren't as confusing in style as the Defiant plans in the back of the DS9 Tech Manual.)

[The preceding is not intended as an advertisement. I'm not selling these yet - and in fact I may never sell them, but simply post them free as PDFs. This is an ongoing project of mine, on which I seek assistance/collaboration]

------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm a poor-assed grad student - I'm hoping for the free PDFs.

What else are you using for source material? That "Elite Force" FPS game is supposed to have some impressive renditions of large areas of Voyager.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I've been told, the Elite game does not show as much of the vessel's interior as I would like - I can get more accurate data from the soundstage plans.

Sources include:

-Soundstage Plans (how canon can you get?)
-Star Trek magazine
-Various screencaptures - mostly by a fellow technofile, who seems to enjoy scrounging about for same.
- DS9 Manual (example: 3d perspectibe view of photon torpedo launcher)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rock on. Very interested in seeing these. Although I loathe Voyager, I like the Intrepid-Class.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't wait to see how you handle some of those big windows, especially what appears to be some sort of lounge on the under side of the saucer aft of the drop-ship.

I'll also be interested in seeing how you handle the drop ship's hanger bay and various support systems.

------------------
"You don't tug on Superman's cape.
You don't spit into the wind.
You don't pull the mask off the ole' Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey... you wouldn't happen to be David Schmidt would you?

Sounds like a cool project. I'd love to help out where I can... I don't have the poster although I can make some shots of Elite Force showing (for example) plans of some areas, locations of turboshafts etc.

Good luck with it! Please let me know if I can help!

------------------
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"

Treknophyle
Member # 509

JeffKardde: I have to agree somewhat with your comment on the show. And I definitely agree on the ship itself. Of all the vesels ever shown on the Star Trek mythos - this is the one I feel I have the best "grasp" of.

Aban Rune: Actually, the window problem wasn't all that tough, once I created the proper protocol:
Cut-in Windows: Janeway-like quarters for senior officers.
Sloped Windows: Mid-level Officers - similar to the quarters used by Picard and Riker in STTNG.
No Windows: Enlisted quarters - similar to the quarters used by Worf in STTNG.
And yes, I have a forward-lower observation deck just forward of the Aero-wing Shuttle. It makes sense when you have read enough non-trek sci-fi (The MOte in God's Eye), and realize that with proper optical sensors (telescope), non-invasive/detectable scanners can be useful to study a planet from low orbit.

Starbuck: Guilty as charged. I found this forum yesterday - and I think it's excellent. Some of you people are more nit-picky than ME.

Comments:
1) Hangar Deck. I have found enough room on the Main Hangar Deck to park the Delta Flyer and other shuttles, and still have a completely empty Hangar (as seen in several episodes). One has to study the actual size of the L-shaped set used in Paramount - and remember that the Hangar Bay can have adjoining Parking Bays. Also - in the episode showing the construction of the Delta Flyer, we saw a lower 'well' under the midships of the Flyer. In my opinion, this was not a pit such as a mechanic uses to go under a car in a garage, but rather the Hangar Bay elevator to a lower Parking/Repair Bay. I would be willing to release a portion of the deck plans showing this - but I have no idea how to attach same to a reply (damn this Windows 200 LCARS!!!).
2) I tried very hard when doing the Enterprise-A plans to remember every type of compartment. I think I succeeded - certainly no one has pointed out any glaring ommissions. However, I would welcome a complete list (deck-by-deck would be nice) of the compartments on voyager, as well as others suggested by military/shipboard necessity.
3) I am also working on the deck plans for the Prometheus-class) my second favorite vessel) - and am giving serious thought to the Sovereign-class as well.

Any help in this or other regards will be rewarded by collaboration credit on the masthead.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to http://flareupload.hypermart.net/psupload.htm and broswe your hard drive for the file. Hit upload. You should be taken to the parent directory. Copy/Paste the address of your pic into your reply. I don't know how to make them actually show up in the thread, though.

I have the Sovvie cut away poster, but I don't know where you're going to find any deck info on the Prommie.

------------------
"You don't tug on Superman's cape.
You don't spit into the wind.
You don't pull the mask off the ole' Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Treknophyle
Member # 509

Okay - and thanks!

The file is named "Intrepid Hangar Sample.gif"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, you could just click on the link...
http://flareupload.hypermart.net/files/Intrepid%20Hangar%20Sample.gif

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Antagonist
Member # 484

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am very eager to see your work. The Intrepid is among my top 5 favorite ships, the Prometheus as well, and to see a well researched set of deck plans would make me stop and pinch myself to realize I'm still awake.

------------------
Beverly: "I have a patient here who wishes to see you, captain.
Picard: "Welcome aboard the Enterprise-E, Mr. Worf.
Worf: "Thank you sir. The Defiant?"
Picard: "Adrift, but salvagable."
Riker: "Tough little ship."
Worf: "Little? It's 170 meters long."
Riker: "Don't be rediculous, Worf, everybody knows, after careful study of certain screencaps, that its under 120 meters long."
Worf: "I suppose now you'll tell me it is a Valiant Class vessel?"

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! I'm going to have to remember to return to this thread. This is something I have to see. Wow. The Intrepid is my favorite ship. I'm dying to see what you did with this.
So far, I like your interpretation of the shuttle bay. I don't have time right now to review it more intensely, but I will soon.
Good luck on the rest of the ship!
BTW, how much do you have left to go?

------------------
-Kyle Batson

[This message has been edited by Black Knight (edited February 15, 2001).]

Tech Sergeant Chen
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Tech Sergeant Chen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're interested in any kind of accuracy, SciPubTech posters are the LAST things you should consult. Those guys are a joke. I remember seeing the E-D poster and noticing problems left and right. Rooms on the wrong decks. The RCS quads only had two tanks (obviously copying the drawing from the TNG TM, but not noticing that it said "2 of 6"). Tons more I can't remember. The Sovereign poster had just as many mistakes. The Voyager poster, IIRC somebody else's comments, badly mis-sized the interior of the Delta Flyer. You could do just as well by making the stuff up yourself.

If you desperately want the poster, you can always order it directly from SciPubTech. Personally, I have better things to do with $20.

[This message has been edited by Tech Sergeant Chen (edited February 15, 2001).]

Antagonist
Member # 484

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the Delta Flyer poster in question. You're right, it is a joke, and to think that paramount authorized anything that SciPubtech publishes is canon information! The poster was a good cut away of a delta-flyer like ship, yes, but the figures onboard were about twice as tall as they SHOULD be. The poster didn't even address the fact that there is another deck (or was it just a back-area like on the Danube?) onboard (as seen on a voyager episode).

Anyhow, I suppose I have gotten pretty far off topic now.

I wasn't able to before, but I just took a look at the shuttlebay deck plan of yours, and I have to say that is better than anything I have seen previously (even better than the Galaxy 'blueprints'). Simple enough to be understandable, but detailed enough to show what counts and what we want to see. Great job thus far, I can't wait to see more!

------------------
Beverly: "I have a patient here who wishes to see you, captain.
Picard: "Welcome aboard the Enterprise-E, Mr. Worf.
Worf: "Thank you sir. The Defiant?"
Picard: "Adrift, but salvagable."
Riker: "Tough little ship."
Worf: "Little? It's 170 meters long."
Riker: "Don't be rediculous, Worf, everybody knows, after careful study of certain screencaps, that its under 120 meters long."
Worf: "I suppose now you'll tell me it is a Valiant Class vessel?"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Paramount doesn't recognize the posters as canon.

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps