Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » voth vs the borg

Author Topic: voth vs the borg
TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
do you think the voth can give the borg a run for their money?
to be honset, the Voth should be alot superior in tech than they're showned since they aquired space travel thousands of years beyond the existance of most warmblooded creatures on Earth.

but their tech nevertheless, do seem more advanced to some current borg ones...for one, they transport entire ships rather then tractor it, that would be a point awarded to more efficiency.

plus as a side note how come the humans did not uncover any trace of them?...they were supposed to have left behind entire civilizations...and they supposedly fled for their lives!
i mean if we were to fled from Earth someday becuase of whatever...would we remove all traces of our culture having been on it?

------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Massive crustal upheavals when they left--around the time of Chixiclub, wasn't it?

------------------
"I�ll never fall in the arms of someone sincere
I fall just the same
And like before, it's just too hard."
---Kim Leaman, "Sincere"

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly, I think the Voth should be a hell of a lot more advanced if they space travel that long ago.

They must of detected the metor that would hit Earth long before it actually did. Prehaps all that technology was destroyed by the impact, or they took most of it with them and destroyed what they could not for the same reason why Starfleet wouldn't leave advanced tech for a primative race.

------------------
"Let me ask you something, Mr. Garibaldi, a purely philosophical question. On a scale of 1 to 10, how stupid do you think I am anyway?" - Bester
Federation Starship Datalink: Brand new look, fresh minty scent, same great taste!

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As best as I can remember, Distant Origin implied that only the Voth's genetic ancestors were from Earth and not that there existed a technologically sophisticated race of sauropods on Earth who left on their own. Perhaps the Preservers of TOS fame plucked some members of the most advanced race of dinos before Chixawhattyacallit, resettled them in the DQ, where they got about a 60 million year head start of hominids.

------------------
"And as it is, it is cheaper than drinking."
-DT on arguing with Omega, April 30

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be interesting on how the Voth could fight against the Borg, but remember of their society, they beleive that they were from Earth.

What about Voth against 8472?

------------------
Signature for sale! For a mere price of $20 per letter you get this wonderful little space to say your own things. Get it now while there's still space!

-All you base belong to infinity. -infinity11

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Civilizations that grow old but don't evolve accordingly is not uncommon. They could've evolved and developed tech up until a point, where what they had was all they needed.
Gotta watch that ep. I juuust missed it when it aired here.

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed, and with the Voth�s attitude towards new and radical thinking, I�d say they have stagnated as a culture. Unless they change, they will not evolve further.

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reminds me of Turtledove's books "World War: In the balance", I think they were named.
The space faring reptile species that invade earth in 1942 were expecting to meet cavemen. They compared earth's evolution to their own, a boring and outdrawn process spanning tens of thousands of years, where you never take risks but use tried-and-true methods, without competition or motivation.

------------------

Nemesis
Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as i can tell the Voth must already have encountered the Borg.
In the episode "infinite regress" we can briefly see a Voth, in the scene where Tuvok "is in 7's mind".

At least that is how far i remember...

------------------
Visit Seventhworld, with its new Sci-Fi project FALLENWALLS
www.seventhworld.de

And of course my own StarTrek Series Project
www.stnemesis.de

Just a preview...

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Niven/Pournelle, a species ceases to evolve once it develops a civilization, since one of the first steps a civilization takes is to protect its less-capable members (surgery, eyeglasses, etc.).

If you are referring to "cultural" evolution - I think they reached one which matched their particular genotype/mental pattern - and it was comfortable.

Of course, I missed this episode.

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we're talking about technological evolution... but since it's generally conflict and war that drives technological evolution, perhaps the Voth just haven't been warred with very much.

This would also explain why the Bajorans and/or Vulcans don't have tech that rocks the AQ, they generally being peaceful folks.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Niven/Pournelle�s idea is a bit flawed in my opinion. It is true that biological evolution will slow down when we start protecting the "weaker" individuals. (Please note that this is originally Darwin�s theory that the stronger should and would survive, and not mine :-) )
However, with civilization comes technology, and with that might come artificial evolution. I think we have seen that concept in Star Trek, haven�t we?

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, can I add/amend something to that whole War brings technological advancements debate...

1. Have we - as a civilisation ever had a long enough period where we have been at PEACE?? So how do we know that Peace doesn't bring technological advancement...

2. Maybe it should be whittled down more as to - War brings war-type tech advancement; peace might bring more peaceful tech advancement... and we could say that at the moment peace might have brought us things like... improved audio/visual products?? Any examples?? Even the internet though, has its roots in 'war' - was it not built by the American government to ensure that there was a 'baseless' resource of information that couldn't be destroyed in one bomb blast? Imagine if we had the internet before the sacking of the Library at Alexandria!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pln'a' Sov: "Please note that this is originally Darwin�s theory that the stronger should and would survive..."

BS. Darwin made no comment on 'should'. 'Would', yes, and does. Cue arguments about biological bases for morality...

Nim
Member # 205

AndrewR: You can just cut it down to "Necessity is the mother of invention".
If we were at peace and needed radically improved farming equipment or improved infrastructure, energy and resources would be spent in those areas, with new harvesters and bridges.
If we need to defend/attack better, we build war machinery.
(I build infantry barracks first, then I take them to go explore the countryside with me. Wherever we go, the mist clears... It's beautiful!)

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps