Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » 2002 Ships of the Line Calendar (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: 2002 Ships of the Line Calendar
Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*bows*

Thank you for gracing us with your presence.

Perhaps you could come over to the Lighwave Group, and give us some pointers?

--------------------
Avalon Sector Administrator
Lightwave Group 3D Co-Administrator

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are the Challanger and the E-E together?

Some pics will be very good right now.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So why do people think the 2002 calendar sucks? I'm working on the 2003 now and if anyone is going to pipe up about their likes & dislikes NOW is the time to do it!

Mojo

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen this calender but I'm sure everyone would love to see some of the wolf 359 ships, there is plenty of info out there to build the meshes.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to any of the pages that has the Wolf359 project on ExAstrisScientia... paramount wont go for it thougfh, they probably want to let us get even more desparate for wolf359 stuff, then theyll have okuda magically pull all the 'lost' starships up and sell them for much $$$$

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mojo... pal, buddy. Can I have some textures? hehehehehehehe

actually i was wondering.

How many poly's is the Akira model (which for 2003, whould be on the cover) and how many textures at what resolution does it use?

Im assuming your using the same meshes as from the series/movies. Also, do you think I can give you some images, mabye just for ideas. If you re did one of my images I would just die a happy man.

Im sure you get requests like this all the time. Anyway, excelent work.

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Akira model has 12,000 polygons and uses 25 texture maps (and I'm sure you already knew I can't give any of them away!).

The 2003 calendar cover is an image of the E heading into the sunset - in a binary star system. I know, I know, we used the E on the last cover but I confess to being a commercial slut - with Trek X opening around the same time the calendar will be in stores, Pocket Books agreed that it would be a good idea to have it on the cover!

In both calendars, people seem to react best to shots that AREN'T in space - the atmospheric stuff - so I decided to make the 2003 calendar all 'environmental' shots (I'm also a big fan of doing something other than the same old thing of seeing ships floating against black backgrounds). Some of the concepts in the works are Voyager over Los Angeles at night (from 'Future's End') and a look at the Vulcan equivalent of LAX. Other shots feature the Statue of Liberty and the Golden Gate Bridge.

I would be happy to hear what kind of images people would like to see...

Mojo

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, Mojo, "enviromental shots" is a rather good idea (yeah, yeah, I know, sucking up )

It would be nice to see Federation ships that are a bit unusual, Wolf 359 ships is a good idea, as is Qualor II ships. But what I would like to see is the starfleet academy trainer, and the attack fighter, both of which looks as if they�re capable of atmospheric flight. Also, Ambassador-class!!!, Constellation, and how about the Intrepid aerowing and the Nova waverider.

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mojo,

maybe you can answer this:
http://flare.solareclipse.net/cgi2/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=001328

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you should bear in mind that the opinions of a lot of people here are likely to be biased. I don't know about the majority of your audience, but I think a lot of us here go in for the more obscure ships. Seeing the same "cool" ships like the E-E and Akira over and over on different backgrounds doesn't really do much. But there are probably quite a few of us here who would scream like schoolgirls if there were a picture of something like a New Orleans or Cheyenne.

And I think the one ship that would cause the most wide-spread ecstatic reaction would be the Ambassador.

But, of course, you can probably only work w/ the ships that have already been digitally modelled, in which case I really don't know what to say.

BTW, this is just what I think other people will think. I'm not necessarily right. Not to mention that I'm talking about the really big-time ship fanatics. I don't know whether your audience is comprised more of them, or of people who are more concerned w/ the pictures than the ship. *shrug*

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mojo, my only request for the next calander would be that you PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T MOTION-BLUR THE HECK OUT OF THE PICS! A little bit is nice and all, but the 2002 calander has some pics where the ships are so smeared you can hardly tell what they are. Please make the ships clearer so we can truely appreciate the level of detail in these CGI beauties.

Also, a colour centerfold would be excellent, too.

--------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Kosh: "Good."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."
Kosh: "Good."

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mojo,

Think I saw you at the Hunt Valley Shore Leave this year in (gasp!) Cockeysville, Maryland (you'd think it would be Hunt Valley, don't you? )

Anyway, I really liked that eye-whatchamacallit-visor thingy. Not to mention the large pic of the Sovereign- and ... Galaxy- was it?

But, as the question is "shots we'd like to see", as a native Marylander (first of the DC suburbs, now of the Baltimore 'burbs), I think a shot of a Galaxy-Class starship over the Washington Monument would be sweeeeeeeet ...

[ September 07, 2001: Message edited by: MeGotBeer ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me, I'd like to see ship combination shots that we've never seen before, justifying why they're together in the captions like the 2001 calendar. For example, I've always wanted to a beauty shot of a Sovereign class and Galaxy class ship flying in formation.

Tying in with this, it's be cool to continue the work to keep the ship names and registries consistent. In the above example, the ships could be the Enterprise-E and Challenger as one option.

I'm guessing the 2003 calendar will have at least one image with the new Prequel Enterprise, so I'd love to see one of that ship from an angle we *won't* normally see in the show's stock footage. Ditto for the other ships. In the 2001 calendar, for example, we see the Honshu, Prometheus and Warbirds in what amount to essentially shots right out of their respective episodes. The images in that calendar of the E-nil, and the one of Voyager from above are very different though, and are among my favourites.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mojo:
I don't know about anyone else, but some scenes from the battle at Wolf 359 itself would be great. Hell, a whole calander dedicated to that would probably sell like hotcakes! (hint hint)
As far as making New-Orleans and Cheyenne meshes, all u need to do is to copy what the model makers did in the first place, that is to cut, paste & alter Galaxy-Class parts. I assume u already have that as a mesh?

As far as atmospheric shots go, Jupiter's upper atmosphere is a good candidate, perhaps a squadron of Pereguines formation, or a Prometheus in MVA mode? that last one is a bit nutty but it would look cool

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark, the view of Voyager from above was actually later used in an episode, so it wasn't unique. The episode was where Voyager found Klingons in the Delta Quadrant.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.