Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » "Galaxy's Child"[TNG4] Logs

Author Topic: "Galaxy's Child"[TNG4] Logs
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I performed several searches to see if these had been mentioned before, but found nothing. I have two DVD screencaps of the Enterprise engineering logs, one of which features the modifications made by La Forge off of the Galaxy Class baseline.

The first of these (chronologically the second) is easy enough to read. It appears to be a directory listing of the log files, along with one indication of what these people are really looking at when they're just sitting around the consoles.

-

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The second is a bit more troublesome.

-

Dr. Brahms paraphrases some of the first line or two in the episode. I read it as follows, with lower-case x's marking unknown words and ++ marking a new line:

SUBSPACE PHASE COILS UPGRADED TO 55.xx MILLICOCHRANE FIELD DENSITY x x ++
INSTALLING HIGHER CAPACITY POWER SUPPLY TO PRIMARY PLASMA INJECTION ARRAY ON BOTH ++
WARP FIELD NACELLES. INITIAL TESTS INDICATE ADDITIONAL WASTE HEAT WITHIN ACCEPTABLE ++
TOLERANCES, ALTHOUGH COOLANT x x x x ABOVE WARP FACTOR x.2 ++
PER STARFLEET ENGINEERING DIRECTIVE (numbers). x OPERATIONAL x x x x ++
WERE INSTALLED TO PROVIDE x DATA ON ENGINE PERFORMANCE x x PHASE COIL ++
ALTHOUGH PERFORMANCE WAS WELL WITHIN EXPECTED TOLERANCES.

(End first paragraph. My eyes hurt. Anyone else wanna take a crack at it?)

(Man, I'm a geek. [Smile] )

G2k

--------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The second one hurts a little too much to tackle right now. What have you made of the first one? This is what I can see on my first pass:

USS ENTERPRISE ENGINEERING LOGS - FILE (5/S)(8/B)3874

02-00434 PROPULSION SYSTEMS OVERVIEW
02-00354 ANTIMATTER CONTAINMENT AND MAINTENANCE
02-00453 PROTOTYPE ENGINE SCHEMATIC
02-00233 ANTIMATTER PURGE-VENT PROCEDURES
02-00266 ANTIMATTER INJECTION SYSTEMS OPERATION
02-00432 DEUTERIUM/TRITIUM LOADING PROCEDURES
02-00234 IMPULSE FUSION REACTOR TIE-IN PROCEDURES
02-00843 SUBSPACE WARP FIELD OVERVIEW
02-00322 MAGNETIC CONTAINMENT FIELD [XXX] PROTOCOL
02-00326 BUSSARD COLLECTION FIELD OPERATIONS
02-00254 MODULATED PLASMA INJECTION [XXX] SUBSYS
02-00348 OPTICAL NANOPROCESSOR LINKS
02-02348 DILITHIUM CRYSTAL ARTICULATION FRAME OPS
02-04523 MATTER/ANTIMATTER REACTION ASSEMBLY
02-04529 ANTIMATTER SAFETY PROCEDURES
02-43944 HIGH-ENERGY PLASMA CONSTRICTION
02-06234 TONIGHT ON HBO

Two words I can't make out. Not bad -- and I'd love to see what's in those files...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

The words you were looking for are "DEGAUSS" and "THROTTLE".

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

Additions:

quote:
Originally posted by Guardian 2000:

SUBSPACE PHASE COILS UPGRADED TO 55.xx MILLICOCHRANE FIELD DENSITY x BY ++
INSTALLING HIGHER CAPACITY POWER SUPPLY TO PRIMARY PLASMA INJECTION ARRAY ON BOTH ++
WARP FIELD NACELLES. INITIAL TESTS INDICATE ADDITIONAL WASTE HEAT WITHIN ACCEPTABLE ++
TOLERANCES, ALTHOUGH COOLANT (LOOPS?) x x (MAINTENANCE?) ABOVE WARP FACTOR (9?).2 ++
PER STARFLEET ENGINEERING DIRECTIVE (numbers). x OPERATIONAL x x x x ++
WERE INSTALLED TO PROVIDE x DATA ON ENGINE PERFORMANCE WITH MODIFIED PHASE COILS ++
ALTHOUGH PERFORMANCE WAS WELL WITHIN EXPECTED TOLERANCES.

PLASMA INDUCERS INTERLINKED WITH EPS GENERATOR TAPS TO PROVIDE BETTER EMERGENCY ++
x CAPABILITY IN THE EVENT OF EMERGENCY x. NEW INDUCERS x STARDATE ++
44xxx.x INDICATE SOMEWHAT IMPROVED PERFORMANCE x x x ABILITY TO CONTROL ++
FLOW WITHIN THE INDUCTION COILS x. CHIEF ENGINEER LA FORGE RECOMMENDED THAT ++
INDUCER SOFTWARE BE UPGRADED TO PERMIT RANDOM ADJUSTMENT OF x x IN THE EVENT ++
OF FIELD HARMONICS . . .

That takes us to the third-to-last line of the second paragraph. My eyes hurt again. [Smile]

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um... Degaussing a magnetic containment field sounds like a bad idea...
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, these are the same guys who de-baryonize their hulls every now and then...

Why are they loading tritium? I thought their fusion was of the deuterium-deuterium type, and that they don't even have multiple or compartmentalized fuel tanks. Or can they perhaps fill up with anything from seawater to raw deuterium ore in an emergency, so that the deuterium/tritium loading procedure here is actually an either/or situation?

Timo Saloniemi

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
Or can they perhaps fill up with anything from seawater to raw deuterium ore in an emergency, so that the deuterium/tritium loading procedure here is actually an either/or situation?

I don't know if you were being funny or if you actually looked it up, but the TNG Tech Manual does explicitly include seawater among the possible matter reactants. They also include things like planetary snows, cometary nucleii, etc.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm intruiging idea that may be a reason why the Breen bought Ferenginar's poles and several icy moons with the knowledge of FTL travel!?!

Maybe Breen doesn't have any oceans or water of any type?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what on earth are you babbling about? [Confused]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's babbling about using seawater as both fusion reactant and the "matter" part of the matter-antimatter reaction that powers the warp drive.

And Timo, I know the TNG TM gives Deuterium as the only reactant, but Rick later revised that to a Deuterium/Tritium mix.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Thank you, I gathered as much, unfortunately that is not what I was referring to....

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.