Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Hand Phasers and Heat (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Hand Phasers and Heat
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't let the new guy post ALL the new threads. [Wink]

You know, a phaser has the ability to vaporize rocks. Why doesn't the inevitable heat bleedoff from a hand phaser emission burn off the user's hand, not to mention everything else in the area?

Mark (playing with my laser pointer today, and even IT gets warm from the battery after a long time)

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably has to do with the same physics that allow us to see (& at times, dodge) the beam.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably for the same reasonm that people are able to "safely" use flame-throwers. The heat's going that way. And besides, we don't know how much heat, if any, is actually produced by phaser vapourisation. Theoretically (in terms of realistic physics) a lot, yes, but on-screen evidence has people climbing through tunnels newly-phasered through solid rock within minutes.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, to quote Sternbach in the TNG TM, at high settings there's very little actual vaporization going on, and most of the disappearing act is due to that good old subspace magic.

That also helps with how we see objects disappear. It seems like the phaser plants a "seed" of disappearance to an object, and this then spreads until it meets a boundary (like skin-to-air or clothes-to-air). Instead of just heat-induced disassociation of matter, this would be a "dephasing" effect that does not willingly jump from one type of material to another. If it does, the second material will also disappear in its entirety, right until the next boundary (or at least until the oomph of the effect runs out); if it doesn't, the second material is not harmed at all. So no burn mark beneath Ensign X'Pired.

It seems a phaser can be used to simply pump energy to a rock, causing it to glow red-hot. Or it can be used to induce the dephasing effect, causing parts of the rock to disappear to another realm (and sometimes sending other parts flying about).

Timo Saloniemi

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one bugger about it though, is the fact that people who've been stunned (post-TNG) often display phaser burns.

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah... I'd like to keep the stun, burn and dephase functions quite separate, even if they are integrated into the same physical casing.

Indeed, regarding the prop that with minimal modifications serves as laser in "The Cage", then behaves like phaser in early TOS, I'd like to think that its three rotatable barrels in fact housed completely different mechanisms. If there is a door to cut through, choose the laser barrel. If there is a Starfleet officer playing god or trying to take away your favorite salt vampire, choose the stun phaser barrel. And if all is lost and Starfleet is closing in on you and your android loved one, choose the disintegrate phaser barrel, hug him, and press the trigger.

TOS phasers would then ditch the laser barrel and make the stun and disrupt ones concentric rather than parallel.

Timo Saloniemi

Lee
Member # 393

That's a common theory, but I like the way you've put it. I may have to steal it (in a giving-you-full-credit kind of way). Should I ever be motivated to update my site ever again!

--------------------

Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

- posted      Profile for Lurker Emeritus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn! You broke my run! I'll have to start all over again, now! But never fear, I will achieve my goal of total New Topic dominance one day!

MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!

And so, to the topic at hand:

A link to an article which may be of interest (although most of you have probably read it already)
http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tech/Beam/Beam1.html

and for another related article from the same website (which cannot be directly linked to [Mad] ) select the following link, go to 'Technology' in the left hand menu, select 'Ground Combat' and then choose the Star Trek section of the 'small arms' category (scroll down for TOS era phasers)
http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's sort of like Lightsabers. They don't inherently generate heat, but the energy they emit has properties that cause the atoms of the contact object to get "excited" and as a result react as if it is getting hot or vapourized. There may be some heat feedback, mostly due to the power cell discharging. But it is not "anything hot" that is coming out of the phaser. It's just a beam, the beam is making things heat up.

That's my guess though.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they do generate all the heat one would think, and that is shunted as subspace radiation? This would give good reason that weapons fire is easily picked up on subspace scans.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not real big on the technobabble stuff, but doesn't a phaser work much like a laser? In that the beam is aligned so that all the energy is traveling in one direction, that would mean that there isn't enough energy dissipated into the surounding atmosphere or back into the phaser itself to cause it to get hot.

That's just my 2 cents.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Timo
Member # 245

A rock wall being vaporized just five meters away should still subject the phaser-holder to enough heat to boil him as well, though...

So classic vaporization is probably still out of the question, even if the beam itself is "cold".

Timo Saloniemi

Lee
Member # 393

No. You're basically just asking the same question that Mark did when starting this thread. And many of the answers - mine, Tahna's and Ritten's especially - make it plain that just because we would "expect" a large section of rock being vapourised to emit a hella lotta heat according to our own physical rules (or contemporary notions thereof) doesn't mean that it's what happens when someone in Trek decides to start zapping. We know that objects aren't being vapourised according to the proper definition, it's a term used to describe a similar process which actually involves matter (and energy) phasing out of our continuum (and imperfectly at that, given, say, residue is left behind like in "Gambit").

A question that's just occurred to me: has the word 'vapourisation' even been used onscreen to describe the effect of a phaser set on Kill?

--------------------

Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

- posted      Profile for Lurker Emeritus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Picard says it to that woman who escapes from Sick Bay, ambushes him in an empty corridor and grabs his phaser. When he retrieves the phaser and examines the setting, he tells her that if she'd fired it, she would have vapourised him.

EDIT: this occurs in the film First Contact

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lilly would be her name.

I would think the 'kill' setting could be far less powerful than the 'vapourize' setting. Flesh being weaker than rock and all.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps