Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Remember "Operation Retrieve"? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Remember "Operation Retrieve"?
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both pages with the silhouettes were onscreen. Only the shiplist page wasn't. (Doesn't mean your other options aren't still viable, though.)
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMHO, I believe they are all Constitutions, and not only because they have a Connie silhouette. If the Connie silhouettes were just random placeholders and not the actual class of the ships, then the Excelsior would have had a Connie silhouette too. But it doesn't; it has an Excelsior silhouette.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm reasonably sure Sternbach said they were just meant to be generic, the Excelsior being the exception. Not that it matters really.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sternbach didn't make it, though. He just found some copies of the charts in his files. Okuda, on the other hand, had this to say:

quote:
If I recall correctly, the charts visible on film/video listed only ship names and registry numbers. One can probably glean some class designations from the ship icons in the diagrams.

I don't have the original art handy (I think it's archived on Syquest disks, which I don't have the ability to read, even if I could find the disks themselves), but I recall giving the info to Bjo Trimble, and I'm pretty sure she used most of it in her revised Star Trek Concordance.

I might note that some of the ship registry numbers came from Greg Jein's interpretation of the starship chart in Commodore Stone's office in "Shore Leave" (TOS). Other registry numbers came from Franz Joseph's Starfleet Technical Manual or his Starship blueprints. In still other cases, the ships and/or numbers did not come from either source, but were consistent with some fleet status charts I did elsewhere on the Enterprise-A in Star Trek VI. (In other words, there's something that just about everyone will disagree with, but I also hoped that there would be at least something that almost everyone would agree with.)

I should also point out that I prepared several charts for the rescue briefing scene, and that not all of them ended up in the final cut of the film. I don't recall which ones were used, or which ones ended up unseen. I do seem to recall that there was at least one chart that had quite a number of registries - mostly, I recall, from FJ's work - that ended up unused.

-Mike

Still, it's somewhat open to interpretation. It is a little weird that some are smaller on one page and not on the other.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.