Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » U.S.S. Curry (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: U.S.S. Curry
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the pics:

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

As I said before, some of the things I noticed were that the saucer is further back on the secondary hull, there's a little Enterprise-A shuttlecraft top covering the hole where the pylon assembly would have gone, and runabout decals were used on the Reliant pylons. Unfortunately these were the only pics Curry took for me, so I can't see the neck between the saucer and the secondary hull, or what that piece is underneath the secondary hull where the mounting rod is attached. I could tell that the bottom of the shuttlcraft is at the end of the ship on the underside, as I've already started building a new Curry model of my own, and that's what it looks like from that angle.

Also, as an added bonus, I was sent some old scanned polaroids of one of the DS9 kitbash rounds, in various stages of completion. Unfortunately, because Curry didn't build any of these models, he knows nothing about them. However, they're quite interesting: The Antares we've seen before, and there's what seems to be a standard Excelsior "U.S.S. Excel" (obviously named after the Microsoft spreadsheet program, lol [Wink] ) And the Trieste looks quite bizarre; however it's registry number isn't the same as the canon Trieste, so obviously it's not the same ship.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not an April Fool's joke this time, eh? [Wink]

I really dig the Trieste, very interesting and exotic-looking vessel!

I'd say this qualifies as a worthwhile payoff to your persistent efforts! Thanks again!

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, cool pics. Thanks for the effort, Dukhat. What exactly is the deal with the 3 other vessels? Do you know if they made it in one of the background scenes?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neh, those last pics is an april's fool joke.

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, they were posted on April 2nd and the Antares in these pics matches the pics we got earlier.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, I read his post as: "posted April 01, 2013 11:10 PM" - but I guess I was wrong.

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Curry is a nice fit for the Miranda/Nebula lineage of ship designs.

Any clearer pictures of the Antares?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Nope, they were posted on April 2nd and the Antares in these pics matches the pics we got earlier.

I've never seen that "Trieste" before- it's a nightmare and I dont believe it.
A line must be drawn in kitbashing...this far and NO FARTHER!

As to the Curry...man, it's waaay worse than I thought! the secondary hull is SO TINY!
When I made my own, I assumed the entire Excelsior secondary hull was used....and I used nacelles much closer to the proper scale than those giants.
 -

I was pretty far wrong...but happily so! [Razz]

Thanks for these pics- once again, Flare remains the very crux of research into the smallest minutae of treknology. [Cool]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking at the warp nacelles of the USS Curry, I wonder how they managed to make them glow. In the episode, the warp nacelle is glowing blue, but the model is not transparent in that particular area. Is there any information from Mr. Curry regarding this?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure they use chroma keying or something similar to match certain colors or areas on the film and apply changes to add the effects. For example, the Centaur had fluorescent green paint for windows (see the first pic), which they substituted with the white lights.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

As to the Curry...man, it's waaay worse than I thought! the secondary hull is SO TINY!
When I made my own, I assumed the entire Excelsior secondary hull was used....

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about. The entire secondary hull was used, and there's no difference in size.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems shortened to me- look at my model compared to the studio moedel- sure. I kept the rear hangar thingie, but that should not account for any exta length.
See how much farther back the seondary hull extends past the impulse engines of the saucer?
Could they have mounted the neck connection facing backwards? That would account for the saucer being farther nack along the secondary hull...

Of course, the jumbo nacelles are perspective are not helping judge the studio model...man, what a dog. [Eek!]

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

It seems shortened to me- look at my model compared to the studio moedel- sure. I kept the rear hangar thingie, but that should not account for any exta length.
See how much farther back the seondary hull extends past the impulse engines of the saucer?
Could they have mounted the neck connection facing backwards? That would account for the saucer being farther nack along the secondary hull...

I think what's causing the confusion is that the saucer is placed further back on the secondary hull...which is the mistake I made when building my model before Curry sent me the pics. So the front of the secondary hull is jutting further forward than, say, the Raging Queen's secondary hull did.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Hmmm...msybe so. My neck part is mounted right on top of where the nacelle pylons join the secondary hull- and it's leaning forward, as God intended...that's as far back as I'm willing to go designwise on the secondary hull....

Ah! I see what I did differently now! When I added the forward facing pointy hangar bay part, I actually added extra length and blended it into the secondary hull to give the ship a more aggressive look...or I just though it looked better that way.
I recall it was kinda a bitch to make look right, but was the right choice from a modeling perspective.

So....what can you explain to me about that abomination with the giant phaser ball turretts? Looks like something from the new JJverse movie.
Prior to this thread, I have never seen such a thing and kinda assumed you were ducking with us again (which would have been funny for a while, but now less so).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those ball turrets, they look like the ion cannon the Rebels had at Echo Base in The Empire Strikes Back. I recall having a Galoob MicroMachines Hoth playset that had the ion cannon, I wonder if whoever built the Trieste had several of those playsets. It would about the right time period (mid to late 90s).
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.