Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Baton Rouge-class (and variants) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Baton Rouge-class (and variants)
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baton Rouge-class

For reference pictures of this ship, see this thread.

This is my interpretation of the Baton Rouge, based on the original SFC top-view, the Nordenskj�ld silhouette and a frame from some comic, which is the only reasonably accurate perspective view of the ship1. Actually, if you look closely, that comic actually seems to show a Nordenskj�ld, since it has the same large bulge underneath the saucer!

The biggest issue a lot of people had with the Nordenskj�ld was the seemingly ridiculous neck. But drawing the same ship, and paying attention to the information available on the ship, this long neck really is the only workable solution. And eyeballing the comic-Baton Rouge, it seems it actually *has* the same long neck. I think we just have to accept that this is an ugly ship!

Besides the visual references, this Baton Rouge is also (supposed to be) consistent with Timo's Hitchhikers Guide. At least as far as deck-numbers go, this should work with what Timo wrote down.

I've also tried to interpolate the NCC numbers of the Baton Rouges (I even made a complete list including names [Roll Eyes] ). My assumptions are that 1390-1406 are Baton Rouges (17 ships2, 10 will be refitted to Lafayette), 1411-1430 are Lafayettes (20 ships, 1425-1430 will be refitted to Nordenskj�ld) and 1431-1450 are Ashantis (20 ships).

Feel free to comment. Especially if your name is Timo [Wink]

----
1) The perspective view by Sternbach in the SFC really shows very little besides what we already saw in the top-view.

2) There is confusing info in the TimoGuide concerning the number of Baton Rouges built. The data-list claims 18 new-builds. The second paragraph also mentions 18 ships. But then it goes on claiming an original batch of 20, and 4 of those cancelled, which makes a total of 16 ships. If you start counting from 1390 (nice number for a class ship) to 1407 (first cancelled hull), you arrive at 17, halfway between both claims [Smile]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful, Harry. Will you do a version with the under-saucer bulge?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Minor update. I'm usually a bit allergic to aft-views, but here is one anyway 8)

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nice.

although part of me wants to make a drawing for each configuration, because there are a lot of technical differences in each of the ship's illustrations:
*USS Baton Rouge-class topview illustration by Sternbach is what your model there is based on, but then there's...
*USS Moscow painted in the same book, with a different 2ndary hull aft end, and...
*USS Nordenskj�ld variant drawn by Aridas Sofia for the Mastercom chart (it almost seems based on the exaggerated proportions of:
*USS Republic NCC-1371 pictured in a Marvel comic

That's three (or four) different configurations of this ship appearing in various non-canon sources. add to this the mention of

*That Lawrence Miller illustration with the detailing inconsistent with the above
*USS Glasgow and other BRs mentioned in Ford's "Final Reflection" novel, and
*USS Churchill and USS Saladin shown in DC's comics (drawn indistincntly enough to be indeterminate as to exact structural details, unlike the above variants), and
*The ships mentioned in Johnson's Worlds of the Federation, based off reference's to the Spaceflight Chronology

With the exception of Franz Joseph's designs, this is probably one of the oldest non-canon designs in Trek, first appearing in 1979, and appearing or being mentioned in both further illustrations of licensed and non-licensed sources, as well as games for almost a decade.

y'know, just saying..

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

I'm definitely planning on doing the Nordenskjold class after this. The SFC USS Moscow is just an inaccurate painting, IMO.

Do you have any scans of the Churchill and Saladin?

The Lawrence Miller design is the one in the SF Tactical Database?

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
The Lawrence Miller design is the one in the SF Tactical Database?

Yes.

Harry, I think the deflector mounting is a bit weak. You have all that frontal area and the long neck, but you still put a little dish as far south as possible. Maybe larger and higher, with a mounting that flows out of the angular secondary hull more smoothly. I couldn't figure out how to do it, so good luck. I'm interested in how Woody makes the deflector mount on his model.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really, Harry....great work!
I've never cared for that design but now I do!

I'd probably make the grey of the nacelles lighter though: it currently pulls the eye right to them and they are nothing special to look at.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
Harry, I think the deflector mounting is a bit weak. You have all that frontal area and the long neck, but you still put a little dish as far south as possible. Maybe larger and higher, with a mounting that flows out of the angular secondary hull more smoothly. I couldn't figure out how to do it, so good luck. I'm interested in how Woody makes the deflector mount on his model.

Actually, that dish is almost exactly as big as the one on the Constitution.

I don't want to move the dish up into the neck-area, since the ship has to be pretty modular to account for the various variants/refits, and I'd like to keep the neck, primary and secondary hulls as separate as possible.

I have however, added some more detail to the deflector housing.

UPDATE

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

UPDATE of Baton Rouge.

ADDED the Nordensk�ld class. For the non-believers, here's a comparison with the original Aridas Sofia silhouette. Fits pretty nicely, if I say so myself.

The contraption in the forward secondary hull is a probe launcher. The big bulge under the saucer mostly consists of sensors and scanners.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mother of Christ, the Nordensk�ld is hideous.

Great rendreing but sometimes you just cant make a crappy design look good.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Jason on this one, Harry. the secondary hull of Nordensk�ld is very angular, without a single curve. Then there's suddenly this gigantic curvy breast-like appendage! it doesn't look right.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be seen as a natural "career move" for an aging type. By the time of the supposed "printing" of the recognition chart, the basic class is more than sixty years old. A special purpose variant could feature all sorts of unaesthetic add-ons, like bulbous radomes for special sensors, much like happens to real world aircraft and ships.

There are only two Nordenskj�lds in service, according to the chart, right? And not even with sequential registries. Smells very much like a special "sensor picket" modification of an otherwise retired type to me...

Timo Saloniemi

tricky
Member # 1402

- posted      Profile for tricky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool drawing, wish i was that good, but may I make a suggestion?

As an owner of the Spaceflight Chronology, one thing I would mention is the perspective picture suggest the pylons are mounted higher on the body, and that they attach to the nacelles below the centre point (you can see the angle on the pylon ends in the picture, where the nacelle is detached).

Raising the pylon and the nacelle attached to it would hopefully give the ship a hint of Galaxy class from the side and front, and sufficiently above the secondary hull to meet the 1/2 line of sight 'Roddenberry rule'.

just a thought

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Roddenberry Rule has been broken so many times, no one really cares about it so much. Oh, his interpretations include some artistic liberties.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I've said this many times:
The Roddenberry Rule: Phhht.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps