Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Administration » Incoming Hail » Another tragedy...

Author Topic: Another tragedy...
Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About 18 (?) hours ago, there was a massive earthquake in Turkey... I'm sure there will be a aid drive starting up soon, if there hasn't been one already. If you have the chance to contribute to one, please do...

------------------
Avon: "You really do believe in taking risks, don't you?"
Tarrant: "Calculated risks."
Avon: "Calculated on what? Your fingers?"
-- Blake's Seven, Ultraworld

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Death count stands at 2000. Many more injured or unnaccounted for.

Most people died in their sleep........ The earthquake hit at 3am local time........

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Jaresh Inyo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shitty way to die.
IP: Logged
Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read on Yahoo News that the death toll may rise as high as 3500, an obscene number of casualties.

I hear a good international response is in progress, thankfully. Too late for many, I'm afraid.

------------------
The unexplained phenomenon that crippled the U.S.S. Unimpeachable --
Gaseous Anomaly...
What anomalises gaseously.

Chimaera
Ex-Member

I saw a short documentary piece on the Canadian news channel about a year and a half ago about the very poor construction practices in many of Turkey's cities. No doubt the enourmous numbers of casualties are at least in part a direct result of this. A tragic lesson for the rest of the world.

------------------
"But, it was so artistically done."
-Grand Admiral Thrawn

JEM
Ex-Member

That seems to be the case. Most of the collapsed building are fairly modern while ancient Mosques and even Minarettes stayed standing. In one town a building construction boss just managed to avoid a lynch mob who accused him of shoddy work practices-an accusation also being made by the Turkish media.

The death toll this morning was about 7000. There is little chance of finding many more survivors after this length of time although rescue efforts will be continuing over the weekend. The projected death toll could now be a high as 20-30,000.

The city of Bursa sits almost directly on a major fault line which seismologists had been predicting for many years was becoming unstable. Unfortunately they could only predict that a major earthquake was likely within the next decade. It seems that we are getting better and predicting these events but more work is needed.

------------------
Cogito Ergo Sum (I think, therefore I am not a politician) - Rene Descartes

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

------------------
"Elevator to hell, going up." - What Dreams May Come

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
darn

------------------
The Unknown Vulcan
http://www.phix-it.com/~perseus/stuff.html

[This message has been edited by DeadCujo (edited August 20, 1999).]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps