Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Administration » Incoming Hail » Removing the DS9 forum, or not... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Removing the DS9 forum, or not...
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've also go the problem of what are considered 'international spoilers'. UK vids... UK Sky showings, Australia vids, and so on.

The thing tha tbugs me (and others) most, are unnecessary spoilers. Like that one in either DS9 or general discussion, with a thread like 'new Federation symbol?'

The thread then started with:

"In the episode 'Dogs of War' (or whatever), where Sisko was reading a pad making the Sau Paulo the new ******* was there a new Federation insignia on the padd?"

That was paraphrased, but it went something like that. Now, what bothered me wasn't the spoler stuff, it was that first, there was no spoiler warning in the thread title, and second, that there didn't even NEED to be any spoiler info in the first place. The person could have just said "In 'Dogs of War', at the point about 20 mins in where Sisko reads from a Padd, was there a new Fed insignia on it?" See? It was completly unnecessary to have the spoiler info.
And then, after I complained, someone with their brain up their arse said something like 'I don't see how this is spoiler info. The episode was shown almost a whole week ago!'

Jeez, if I could find that person, I'd scrape their skin off and stick them in a blender.

------------------
"Why can we never meet anyone nice?"
"Why can we never meet anyone who can shoot straight?"
-Lister and the cat

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a month, not a week. And keep in mind that most spoiler warnings are for upcoming episodes; it's easy to misunderstand what a "spoiler" is. Isn't Sol writing a forum FAQ for this sort of thing?

------------------
Frank's Home Page - free pencil with every visit!

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never mind, it was a week; I was thinking of a different post, I guess.

------------------
Frank's Home Page - free pencil with every visit!

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a surprised HMS White Star, what there's a new new "Fed insignia", well I guess I deserve that for missing the entire final season of DS9.

------------------
HMS White Star (your local friendly agent of Chaos:-) )

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with PsyLiam. I live in Australia and the most recent episodes I get to see are the CIC video ones. Now, DS9 7.9 came out just this week and that contains "Penumbra" and "'Til Death...". For me, any story news beyond those is a spoiler.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, DS9 'Tears of the Prophets')
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dax is right, in the USA you have had 2 months of newer episodes, not to mention the summer vacation, and it's still a spoiler for those who watch the video's. And what about people who don't watch the videos?? They're ever further behind.....

------------------
"You don't need a gun."
"That depends on your definition of 'save sex'."

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As the erstwhile Spoiler God, I suppose I should comment. This Spoiler/Non-Spoiler separation won't work. Why? Because a lot of people here are simple North American folk, the salt of the Earth. . . Morons, as Gene Wilder said. Liam's example is the most perfect of this genre. People don't think. And worse, they don't care.

Tom's idea will lead to an effective segregation in these Forums, and hasten their decline. There will be the main Trek Forum, which will remain the main SF discussion Forum despite all attempts to broaden the scope into general SF. And there will be a minority who won't be able to go there. But of course as Tom further said, they ARE a minority, and foreigners to boot.

But please remember: many of us started here when it was a British forum. And most of the people who've been alienated and already left are the non-North Americans. Nothing has been done to encourage more of them to join up, and there's been a constant string of discouragements. One example was the time zone debate - sure, that was won by numbers, but the best argument was "I'm North American and I hate doing even simple addition or subtraction." Pleas that a timezone which appealed to the whole world would improve the Worldwide membership were ignored. No wonder Tachy's Forums do so well - they're run by someone who doesn't live between GMT -5 and -8, and who can't expect a shining new episode of Trek ever week between October and May.

My solution: Two Forums, Voyager and General. And we get tough on Spoilers - the people themselves. One week bans, something like that. Maybe then people will learn. Or better still, they'll f*** off to TrekWeb which is one massive spoiler zone and populated by like-minded assholes. They'll fit right in.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I vote for keeping the DS9 forum for a few more months and then replace it with a Series V or "News and Rumors" forum.

------------------
*Obscure humorous pretentious Gaelic-Latin signature*
Ex Asterige Scientia

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, Dax, you fellow Australian...

I think the only two Australians so far have be moi and Daryus - who is I think at a curry eating contest *grin*

Andrew

------------------
"All is full of love, all around you" - Bj�rk

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say terminate da DS9 forum. For what it's worth...

Like Altair we in Sweden are also late "bloomers" We're at the ep after Dark Frontier and Badda-Bing. And it is most annoying to have to pay 30$ when you yanks get it for free. C'est la vie bite me.

------------------
And on that highly succesful burn I'm going into the polarbear-cage to get me some wallets
so I can get some beer-money. Adios! "Daaaeaehh" "Splash"

Chris Farley in SNL, bless his soul.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you need a coma between vie and Bite there Nimster!!

C'est la vie, bite me!!

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

[This message has been edited by Kosh (edited September 14, 1999).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could go for a nice coma...

------------------
"Recombination, then Viacom; Safeway."
--
Soul Coughing

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, a semi-colon would be more appropriate.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do I have to wear a tie when I post too?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps