Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Administration » Incoming Hail » We're BAAAAAAACK! (Page 6)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: We're BAAAAAAACK!
Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Frank, you do know that once you change a display name, you can never go back... right?
The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that so far I have mixed feelings about the changes.

What I like:
-Instant Graemlins (as long as people don't overuse them)
-Instant UBB code
-New thread category layout
-Fewer posts per page ( ~kindof)

What I don't like:
-Colour scheme (too bright)
-People changing their usernames
-Requiring an admin to change status line ( but I know you're working on it)
-Not being able to look at someones post in edit mode
-Crappy member number

[ May 28, 2001: Message edited by: Gurgeh ]

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I decide to dissappear for one weekend and all hell breaks loose. AAAAHHHHH!!!!!

Anyways, it's about time that we got a brand new UBB. Although I will echo the many sentiments of other members over the lost features from the old forum.

Suggestion: Get back the feature that allows us to change our status line, as well as the diversified ranking system.

Also, hide the post numbers and the member numbers as well. I don't want to see anyone use member number or number of posts to exude any form of authority whatsoever. Place it back where it should be, in the member profile.

Make the thread display list back to 10 days instead of 45 days.

Make a rule regarding name changes allowing Administrators access to make such changes. And have it so that Members can change names after a certain time period. Already my head is hurting from all these people changing their names.

Put back that column identifying the number of topics in a forum.

Other than that, it looks cool. Kudos. Guess we won't have to spring that clone designed to replace you, huh?

But unless you fix those features, maybe we will.....

[ May 28, 2001: Message edited by: Tahna Los ]

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bwoehahahahaha!!!

I have changed my username from that stupid Prakesh nick to my real name: Harry!!

And that is the last time I want to use that changename thing. It is way to confusing.

And how I'm supposed to put my 'aka' in my status line if can't change the thing?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I know where I saw this colour scheme before!!! Napster!!

It's nice, I like pale blue and its variations, actually. I had it as windows background before.
I was used to read bright text on darker background on Flare of course, but I can get used to this.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've gotten used to the colors. They seem to have been toned down slighly since first seeing. But the "15 posts per page" this is...icky.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
15?? I see, I thought it was 25. It'll take a lot of clicking in a 200-post thread.
Like, 13 pages. But it will look well fed, as threads come.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about those smilies created by Baloo and RW? Would be nice to get those in there.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Charles Capps
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re: Tahna's suggestions...

1) No. Beyond the abilities of the stock UBB.
2) No. Member numbers are a required element for UBB functionality
3) Change it yourself - click My Profile
4) No.
5) No.

Thank you for your input.

And as for the smilies.. they're HUGE - putting them in the instant click area (as would be required due to the way the UBB does them now) would be ugly ... very ugly.

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure some of this coding can be hacked to make this board more "natural" looking like it used to be? Especially the instant Graemlins and the Mac-looking UBB Code options.

--------------------
It takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. It only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and smack someone upside the head.

Charles Capps
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

Uh, well, I just swapped out all the images.... but the instant code icons are still the same. Lovely.

If you're seeing broken images: don't bother complaining. Use a browser that supports PNG, which would be pretty much anything done in the past two years... If you're seeing green - I know about it, and am trying to figure out WTF is wrong.

[ May 28, 2001: Message edited by: Charles Capps ]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The following things I'm mentioning - they maybe unable to do but I'm gonna 'let you know' that there's another person who has 'qualms' with that particular problem.

I agree with the notion of not being able to change names... well, maybe give everyone a chance to change their names to what they've wanted then get rid of the feature.

If you want the aka thing - I do think that the subtitle under the name - should be able to be changed by ourselves on a whim.

Re the brighter forum - fine, but does the reading/text sections have to be the brighter parts!?! It seriously is a strain on the eyes after a while. The forum can have brighter colours but have text sections/message sections that aren't WHITE!

The whole login/logout thing - I don't mind it from home, but when at uni- it sucks...

I agree about the number of posts/number you registered. if it can't be deleted can it just not be shown!?! I.e. its part of each message, but we don't see it - but the search function can still read the number.

The 'this post has been edited...' was better UNDER all the text.

Oh, and can you on the message writing page, put the post reply button under this box where I'm typing in, it sucks having to scroll down to press the button.

Andrew

P.S. Is there anyway to make the 'title' of each forum and their description have a greater width, and reduce the width of the 'latest post' column... it looks ugly, especially witht he 'title' column or squashed up to have titles like "Starships and Technology" on two lines etc. Just cosmentic.

Oh. Also, the person that wrote a particular message can't delete their own message? Why is that function still not available?

Andrew

P.P.S

Oh, and when you DO click that link of the 'front page' to go to the latest topic, it doesn't take you to the latest post, it takes you back to page 1 (if there's more than one page). Cause if I wanted to read the entire thread, I'd actually go into that forum proper, cause I wouldn't click on one of those front page topics, if I hadn't seen what the entire thread was about.

Andrew

[ May 28, 2001: Message edited by: AndrewR ]

[ May 28, 2001: Message edited by: AndrewR ]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of us like the name-changing feature...
Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And some of us use it too much.

--------------------
It takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. It only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and smack someone upside the head.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*cough* *cough* Frank G. *cough*

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps