Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Administration » Incoming Hail » Bug? You tell me... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Bug? You tell me...
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I don't know if this is happening to anyone else, but it's been happening a lot to me. I click on a forum link from the main page, and view the new threads. I click on a thread, read it, then go back. The forum page has reverted to how it was hours or a day or so ago! It's rather annoying.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
The exact same thing has been happening to me. It is rather irritating.
IP: Logged
The Vulcan
Member # 633

- posted      Profile for The Vulcan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is it a cache problem? it ain't happening to me..

--------------------
Die please.

k, thx.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If seen that a couple of times. A similar problem I've seen more often is that I'll reply to a thread, click back to it, and it will look like it did the last time I viewed it (like, the previous day, or whenever).
Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First things first.

Click the "my profile" link above... the top link on the right of the body on the page will be something like "Clear cookies"

Use it.

You'll need to log in after that.

That SHOULD help the post indicator problem.

In the future, use the links on the page, not your back button... that will also avoid the problem.

As for the caching issue, make sure your browser is set to check the doucment on the server EVERY TIME, not automatically.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but using links means you're essentially loading the page again, while using the back button means you go to a page you've already loaded and shouldn't need to load again. This is especially important if you don't have some whizz-bang cable modem setup but are actually required to dial-in to some crummy ISP that maybe'll give you 45333 on a 56K connection.

On the other hand, my browser was set to "automatic," and I'm trying out "every time you start IE" so I'll see how that goes.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
60% of all hits to Flare are caught by the board cache... cached pages are served up in a compressed format, about a third the normal size.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like using the links. The back button is much more convenient. And I never said that I really cared about the "problem". Only that it exists.
Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strangely enough, some Forums seem to be affected more than others. Naturally, a Forum with loads of newly-posted-to threads will display the problem, meaning I have to update before I read each one. A Forum with just one new thread will be fine. . . B(

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't we have this 'problem' a while ago, too?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poet:
This is especially important if you don't have some whizz-bang cable modem setup but are actually required to dial-in to some crummy ISP that maybe'll give you 45333 on a 56K connection.

45333 on a 56k connection? How often do you get that? I've had it a few times, but mostly I'm on 42666 or less Any methods to improve the speed of your modem - especially when downloading files. I've go "GoZilla" but so far it just really pisses me off.

Malnurtured Snay - If my memory is any good (not usually ), yes we have had this problem before . . . when? . . . ya got me!

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Lee
Member # 393

That's with the Surftime connection to Demon. With the pay number I've actually gotten 50266. May be switching to NTLWorld broadband cable soon though. . .

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 56K modem and I usually get around 24000 to 26400, if I'm lucky. It's annoying.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's really poor. You should be getting at least 30,000 (I've never gone as high as Lee. I sometimes get 4.3 k/s on a download if I'm really lucky, but not often).

I'd check with your phone company, and make sure your line isn't being split between two people.

akb: You're not really going to get any faster. No 56k modem has ever gotten up to 50,000 (unless everyone in the US is horrible killed, or something).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
Member # 393

Liam: if you're still dialling in to Demon, and have a V90 modem, try the pay number 0 845 2120666. That's the good one.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.