Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Administration » Incoming Hail » Upgrade! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Upgrade!
Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a while since I've introduced any new features, so I figured it was about time to do so. [Smile]

The two most important new features are the Quick Reply box now present at the bottom of each post, and the new ability to subscribe to topics while you're replying (using the full reply form).

If you'd rather not use Quick Reply, you can turn it off by editing your profile/preferences. The My Profile page and Edit Profile pages have been given a facelift as well. The Quick Reply preference is at the bottom.

From the My Profile page, you can now view all of your current topic subscriptions, then remove them if you desire. (Trivia: Baloo, of all people, has the most subscriptions, at ~650.)

A few other things that you'll want to note:

• New URL format - it's designed to attract the attention of search engine spiders. Don't worry, all the old links you may have around will still work. [Smile]
  • You can now search multiple forums at once, and seach by public name rather than user number
  • There's a "Remember Me" checkbox on the login form now, so you can optionally choose to be logged out at the end of your session.
  • Certain forums will now show a minimum number of posts by default. Currently only this one forum uses this ability.

There are a handful of features available on the admin side of things as well, but those will mostly bore you. [Wink]

One bug to look out for... I think I have it squished, but I'm not 100% sure. Please let me know if you suddenly become logged out at the end of your browser session if you came here after the upgrade. If you do get logged out, just log in again... it should not occur again after that.

Comments?

[ October 13, 2003, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: Charles Capps ]

Charles Capps
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh* The logout bug is still present. Sorry for the inconvenience.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome! I was hoping that the subscription management options already part of OpenTopic would be making their way over to UBB.classic... [Smile]

I don't always make use of the quick-reply feature, but it's pretty handy on occasion. And since it's right here, I think I'll use it more. The reason I never use it on OpenTopic is because the complex inline-popup display never appears in the proper place on the screen. With this, it's right there on the screen and ain't moving!

Many thanks, Charles! [Cool]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed this and wondered how long it had been here and I hadn't seen it.... I am glad it is new, and not something I've missed for a month....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly, I get this crap when I try to update my preferences:
quote:
Sorry, you have attempted to register with an email address that has been banned. Please feel free to email us at %%BBEMAIL%% if you have any questions.
to quote another Flareite:
....the Fuck!?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IE6 on WinXP Pro, I get:

"posted 0 2_3"

For all dates of all posts, from ever and ever.

Charles Capps
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

UM, go update your profile. Just scroll down and submit.

Jason, are you trying to update your email address?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah.
I tried that when I tried to un-subscribe to the "Quick Reply".
I never signed up for (or was banned) with my hotmail address.
Strange.
My E-Mail address listed was back when I suffered at the claws of bellsouth.
It's no longer valid.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Charles Capps
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

Hotmail addresses are forbidden... change the email on record to the email provided by your ISP.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the catch with using "Quick Reply"?
I mean, what sets it apart from the full reply form?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you just don't get all the smiley crap and UBB Code cheats. And whatever other options are down there. I never use anything but the "close topic" option.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. [Smile] Oops! [Eek!]
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, well, at least HTML still works. . . Nice one, Charles!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, is it true all searches return 0 results?

I tested it with "enterprise", and I can't imagine there are no posts with that word...

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yah, same here. Zilch returns in any forum for any given word. I only get results when I search directly by member number or PDN.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps