Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Administration » Incoming Hail » A note about freemail addies... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: A note about freemail addies...
Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... we all know why they're blocked - to dissuade troublemakers. Let's give an example. Got this mail about five minutes ago.

quote:
For fucks sake why can't I just use a free fucking e-mail. I mean come on, I have shit loads of ships I've drawn, and the whole free mail thing is bull shit. Why the fuck would you bar me from your forum 'cause I couldn't pay for some dumb ass e-mail adress.

I have withheld his name and email address.

Do I need to say anything more, or has my case been proven?

------------------
Charles Capps
Chief Administrator, the solareclipse network
"I do whatever the voices in my head tell me to do."

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Case proven!

------------------
"Calm may work for Locutus of the Borg here,
but I'm freaked out, and I intend to stay that way!"

- Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I think we should let him in. He sounds like he has a lot to contribute. I mean, his spelling and punctuation are better than some people's here. . . 8)
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what a Vocabulary.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me rephrase (sp?) that: Case proven in this situation, but he has a point though.

------------------
"Calm may work for Locutus of the Borg here,
but I'm freaked out, and I intend to stay that way!"

- Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, this particular person may have a bit of an attitude problem, but I was stuck w/ a freemail address for quite a while, and I know I wouldn't have been too happy to have been blocked out of here because of it...

------------------
"Keep honking: I'm reloading."
-bumber sticker on a friend's truck

Antagonist
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe he read Baloo's post on the history of the "F" word?

I can see why you would do such a thing, CC, but you should deal with this on a case-to-case basis. Banning ALL people with a freemail address is unfair to those who have no other choice. It's a stereotype you're giving to them.

Sometimes the easy way isn't always the best.

------------------
When I see an elephant fly...I'll shoot the mother down.

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*is forced to concur with Antag*

------------------
Doctor: "Run along. I'll reattach any severed limbs. Just don't misplace them." (Voyager: "The Killing Game")

Jaresh Inyo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And my father was less than pleased with all of those thread notification messages he was getting for a while. I agree, case by case is the best way to do it.

------------------
Josh: I think they're getting to know each other a bit too well, if you catch my drift.
Me: Oh, I agree. I think they're spending too much time together, that is of course, if you catch my drift.
Asher: I think he's *ucking her, and he's cheating on his wife, and he's risking his marriage, and if his wife finds out about it she'll leave him and take their son, and his life will be ruined. If you catch my drift...

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, honestly, that can be solved by not checking the e-mail notification box when you start a thread. But I still agree, of course...

------------------
"They gave the ferret a teleprompter!"
-Louie the Lizard, Budweiser commercial

Charles Capps
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find it FAR easier to deal with trouble BEFORE it happens, ladies and gentlemen.

------------------
Charles Capps

Antagonist
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not attempting to dispute that fact, CC. What I'm trying to say is that discluding an individual because they have a freemail address is...well, unfair.

A few ISPs in my area don't even offer a free mail account with their normal service at all, some have a monopoly over the area and so charge extra for email accounts. This can seriously hinder people when, say, trying to post on this forum and have a low income.

Everybody isn't as fortunate as you or me, CC.

I agree that alot of people using freemail accounts can be potential trouble makers, but also I'm sure alot of other people can potentially bring us all a little happiness by displaying their nifty fanfic design(s).

Also, I understand that you're a busy person, and usually you'll just say "aww, forget it, I'll take the easy way this time.", however you probably shouldn't do this too often. Especially in situations like this.

Let the individual forum moderators mop things up, that's what they're there for.

------------------
When I see an elephant fly...I'll shoot the mother down.

[This message has been edited by Antagonist (edited July 11, 1999).]

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I know of a few local ISPs that don't give free email accounts -- or any at all. They're just free ones, but just because someone can't pay for their limited Internet time doesn't mean they should be automatically said to, "Sorry; can't come here."

------------------
Doctor: "Run along. I'll reattach any severed limbs. Just don't misplace them." (Voyager: "The Killing Game")

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are lots of places that you can get an email account from for only a few dollars a month. Like, say, DGNE.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
RB: "'Get a life' is a phrase heard a lot, though I have never known exactly what kind was implied. Seems a lot of shallowness and greed is the rule."
CS: "I guess that it means the kind of life led by the characters of 'Dawson's Creek' or 'The Simpsons'."

Charles Capps
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

Ok, I'll say it again, for the last time in this thread.

If the person gives me a valid, believeable excuse, I ALWAYS, without exception, will allow them to register! I realize that not everyone has an account with their ISP, that is why I make this exception.

------------------
Charles Capps

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.