Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » It's Grammy time again... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: It's Grammy time again...
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mase (or whatever) did a (c)rap (I like your term TSN) version of that odd disco 'Ladies Man' song, but for the life of me I can't remember who did the original.

------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. Alright, give me the bomb" -Ultra Magnus, Fight or Flee

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah Puff Daddy and his gang of retards has ruined rap music , before it used to have a message now its just "Look how much money I have" and "Look at all this tail im gettin" .

First Time i heard Puff Daddy's version of "Every Breath you take" i almost had a heart attack , i felt like punching that A**hole in the face , Why dont you try writing your own song and defacing that one huh!?

Well i used to really like Rap back with NWA and all the way up to Tupacs death , after that its all been Down hill.

Anyway now i listen to Trance music and Retro Stuff , Its good to relive the 80's isnt it ?

That "Blue" Song is catchy , but it does sound like "Im need of a man"

------------------
"Marge .. Do you have other men in this House ? .. Radioactive men?"
~Homer "The Simpsons"

http://www.geocities.com/travlyn2/

[This message has been edited by Dhunter (edited January 08, 2000).]

Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a fan of rap at all, but I can manage the old school stuff with Public Enenmy, and All the other 'In living Color' stuff, but now I agree it's (IMHO) garbage.

------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. Alright, give me the bomb" -Ultra Magnus, Fight or Flee

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is nothing new. Remember when Queen's wonderful "Under Pressure" became that YECCHH "Ice Ice Baby"?

Somebody else stole from "The End of the Innocence."

And if I actually listened to any rap when my baby brother wasn't home, I could probably pick out a dozen or so more,

It's just because most of these guys don't have enough talent to create their own melodies.

I can stand covers, if they're done with at least some respect. But THIS stuff?

Okay. The one Godzilla song by Puff Daddy, I liked. But that's IT.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Member # 239

Well, I like real covers, like SRV's cover of Hendrix's Voodoo Chile, or Collective Soul's cover of Ozzy's Crazy Train. But not (c)rap covers.

------------------

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the only rap song that I like is Will Smith's Getting Jiggy with it. Probably because of the tune. Anything else? Nothing but crap.

Anyways, back on topic. The guys who do the Grammys can save face by voting Santana as record of the year. I'll puke if the Backstreet boys and Ricky Martin win. This would be a horrible disgrace.

As for new artist? Anyone but Christina Aguilera or Brittany "Breast Surgery" Spears.

Please, do not disgrace the Grammys, please.

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited January 08, 2000).]

Member # 239

It's a little late for that. By even nominating shit (oops, sorry) like the Backdoor Boys, it's a disgrace.

There need to be more rock categories. There are like 15 country categories and like 35 R&B/Pop/Rap ones but only like 3 rock categories.

Bands like Live, Creed, Collective Soul deserve more recognition than they recieve.

But I guess all the rock awards were dropped in favour of Brittney's Breasts getting as much screen time as possible.

------------------

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will Smith is really not a rap artist hes a pop artist now , total sell out.

Anyway if theres any justice left in the world Santana will win , but we all know either backstreet boys or Ricky Ticky will win , theres just to much money floating around for any good music to win.

And as for Brittney Spears and Christina Agulera we all know one of them is going to win so theres no use kidding ourselfs.

Truly a sad day when good music gets passed up for Assembly Line Bulls*it.

Oh by the way Christina Aqulera has Bow Legs so we all know that its going to be Brittney Spears and her Breasts , You know i think she has those adjustable implants if you look closly they increased when she was on MTV and decreased in size when she appeared on the Disney Channel and then came back up for her next appearnce on MTV , I quess they adjust them by age group and demograpic

------------------
~Homer "The Simpsons"

[This message has been edited by Dhunter (edited January 08, 2000).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps she just had baloons put in and she inflates them each day to whatever size she wants. :-)

Seriously, though, she was a lot better looking before she had those bowling balls installed in her chest. Granted, she wasn't overly attractive before (I think it's because her eyes are too far apart), but at least she wasn't bad. Can't really say that anymore...

So, 15 country categories, 35 (c)rap et al., and 3 rock. Didn't I say it was dying? Oh well. I suppose it's to be expected. It took rock and roll less than twenty years to get to its best (in my opinion), and that was almost thirty years ago. I guess it couldn't last forever...

------------------
"...more people buy Harry Potter novels than the works of Alexander Pope, but that's no measure of their quality."
-Tom Aylward-Nally, December 29, 1999

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm working this into a big section of my website, but given the nature of this thread I thought this might be enjoyable. Consider it a preview of things to come.

Oh, what is it? Me making sarcastic comments about music I forced myself to listen to one afternoon.

-------------------

Oddly enough, all of the top hits of the decade seem to come from a handful of songs released in the past year. Surely, Rick Dees and his elite team of critical thinkers are above selecting songs simply by how many records they're selling at this very moment. If we cannot trust the Top 40 countdown, what can we trust?

Ah, Lenny Kravitz. The sure sign that rock is alive and kicking as we enter a new era. Or not. The former Romeo Blue wants to make music like Hendrix. Which is a very noble calling indeed. And yet, rather than being played on actual rock music stations, he finds himself here, firmly ensconced within what passes for pop music today. Are we really supposed to think that, were Jimi alive today, he'd be making this kind of music on this sort of station? I wish I could say no, but look what happened to Carlos Santana. At least he maintains some sort of inventive guitar work, though the drone of Roy Thomas, frontman for Matchbox 20, ensures that no one will hear it.

Jennifer Lopez is, and let's be perfectly clear about this, hot. Not the most attractive woman in the world perhaps, or even in the entertainment business. But hot nonetheless. That pretty much explains the success of her music career. Oh, she's a competent enough singer, in that she doesn't present any glaring hooks on which to hang criticism. But do we really need another manufactured Latin pop star? I'm sure the people writing and arranging her songs could just as easily find work with the next generation of up and coming Menudo veterans. Of course, I'm already biased against such attempts at multimedia stardom. Partly because of that general rule of thumb which tells us that it rare for a person to be both a talented actor and singer. (I just made it up.) And partly because I fear that this trend is going to lead us right down into the pit. What do I mean? Partridge Family 2001. Pray for armageddon.

Natalie Imbruglia is from Australia. I know this because I watch VH1. I would not have been able to deduce this fact from her music itself. Now, this seems like a pretty minor complaint, true. "Hey, she, uh...doesn't sound Australian!" So sue me. Modern production values remove most of the really embarrasing parts of a song. I could mention that her biggest hit is a cover, but I can't use that without showing up my own hypocracy. [Istanbul (Not Constantinople) anyone?] Besides, what is a cover, really? Singing someone else's song? How many people bother to sing their own songs? And lest you think I'm singling out modern music, how many people have ever sung their own songs? I don't recall too many opera singers who also write operas, for instance.

Hey, it's that blue song! It's about this guy who's all blue and stuff, and the chorus sounds all funny. I should note that my best friend likes this song. Why? Well, compared to the other stuff being played, this counts as a novelty song. Is it? No, not really. Some nonsensical lyrics, sure, but they're coupled with a vague techno track that I swear has appeared on every single techno song to ever become popular here in the States. I imagine somewhere in Europe, probably beneath the Alps in some secret installation, a group of scientists have taken electronica and chemically treated it in order to create this track. I think this constitutes an act of war, but the State Department never listens to me.

Insert Latin music. Or rather, Americanized Latin music. Or rather, music I assume has been Americanized. The thought that other nations have to suffer through this as well is too much for my optimistic spirit to bear.

Who's singing it? Heck if I know. Not Ricky Martin, I think. Marc Anthony? Maybe. Personally, when I want to hear Spanish music, I tune the radio to La Zeta, a local station. Especially around eight or nine o'clock in the morning, during the children's hour. They play some very old sounding records filled with unique sounds that have more in common with mariachi then banda. Have I impressed you yet? No, I didn't think so. And of course, what I vaguely understand banda to be sounds nothing at all like the above mentioned music.

We seem to have reached the very bottom of the barrel now. A Madonna montage. Some genius has decided that if one Madonna song is good, all of her songs, mixed together and played randomly with the announcer butting in every now and then for a station ID would be even better. I can't even relate the horror of this one. Aha! It's over. Wait..."mix of the century"? All night? Uh...I think this column has ended. I can only take so much. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to wash my ears out with something caustic.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

Im Cuban so i think I know what Latin Music is and Ricky Ticky and Jennifer Lopez dont make Latin Music they make Crap Music , Its basicly American Pop with a latin Performer . Granted Jennifer Lopez is hot , but have you ever seen her without the makeup ? Not a pretty Sight. And have you ever seen her in person ? She Lipsyncs to everything , same for Ricky Ticky and Marc Antony , always lipsyncing , Im not saying that its another Milli Vanilli Affair , they do record their own tracks they just dont sing them.

And please Lenny Kravits is a total sellout , have you seen the Nisson and Tommy Hillfiger Commercials? if hes trying to be the next Hendrix hes really getting off to a bad start ... Hendrix would never sellout.

Anyway let me just end this by saying that the people nolonger have an ear for good music , they have an Eye for music , if the Frontperson is nice looking and can get out a couple of lyrics that make some sense we will like it and we will buy the record , download the mp3 , sellout the Tour and make the guy stinkin rich within 2 minutes of release.

------------------
~Homer "The Simpsons"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps