Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Gaia or Terra? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Gaia or Terra?
Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gaia or Terra? I know the popular term for Earth is Terra, but really now--why call our home planet dirt? Or ground?

It would be nice to see a change in scifi where there is mention of a Gaia/Luna system around Sol.

What are your thoughts?

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terra is cool. "Terran" is cool.
Latin has a nice feel of historical weight behind it, and it makes you feel clever.

Conversely, "Gaia" makes you sound like some new-age hippie who thinks the planet is sentient.

*Catmanspeak* You dahmn hippies!

------------------
"Is there anyone there with a gun?"
- On the Hour

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*vorlon speak* Yes.

I actually favour Terra over both Earth and Gaia. The reason being is that it gives US a better name then Humans.

Terra - Terrans <- Nice match
Terra - Humans <- No match
Earth - Earthers/Earthlings <- Both names for us are crappy.
Gaia - Gaians <- Well, it's okay, but I still favour Terran.

Also, I hate it that no one seems to know the sun's real name. You ask someone "What is the name of the sun?" and they say "Uhh, Sun?" *BUZZZZ* Wrong answer! Sol.

Sol - Solar <- See? Isn't that a nice matching pair?

Therefore, other systems should NOT be called Solar Systems, as there IS only one Solar System, ours. Other systems should be either Star Systems or (Fill in the Name of Primary star) System.

I think that's enough gripping for now. Anyone else want to share? =]

------------------
Lyta Vorlon: "Our great mistake. Our failing. And now your failing. The error is compounded."
Delenn: "What mistake?"
Lyta Vorlon: "The first one, the one from which all mistakes proceed: The error of Pride..."

-- Kalesh Naranek, Last of the Vorlon
www.orc.ca/~jheinbuc/

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about "Stellar Systems?"

------------------
Ah... Now I enter these hallowed halls a conqueror... Yes...

-Megatron, "The Agenda, Part Three"

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a stellar idea.

*likes Terra*

------------------
"Audaces fortuna juvat."
"Fortune favours the bold."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's think about the other planets in the Sol system... Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto. Naturally, given the precendent, Earth should be called Terra. If we called it Gaea, we'd have to call the other eight Hermes, Aphrodite, Ares, Zeus, Cronus (or Kronos... :-) ), Uranus (well, okay, no change there...), Poseidon, and, well, Pluto (okay, no change, again...).

------------------
"About as useful as a narcoleptic rickshaw driver."
-James Lileks

Chimaera
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never actually heard the Earth referred to as Gaia, around here that word is only used in reference to the Gaia theory. I prefer Earth, just because it's so widely used, but Terra sounds alright too. We could mix and match, call ourselves Terrans from the planet Earth, there's no absolute rule that says the two have to match.

------------------
"Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you."
-Commander Riker, USS Enterprise

IP: Logged
Enterprise
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Enterprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Cartman Speak* It's all a bunch of tree hugging hippie crap!

My view, I like calling my home planet Earth and my species human...

------------------
Brandon "Enterprise" Grasmick
Commanding Officer, USS Sovereign (NX-74222)

"Captain, the Sona crew are willing to negotiate a cease fire. It may have something to do with the fact that we have 3 minutes of air left."
-- Worf

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
-- In time of war the law falls silent.

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terra works better to match with the names of the other planets.
Gaea just doesn't fit right, and as others have said is too "hippie".
I worship the Goddess, and we call the earth "The Mother" .. but I suppose that wouldn't work for a planet name, now would it? *L*

------------------
If Galileo had lied to save his life, would America, or the West, or Space have been discovered?
And if Columbus had never set sail, would the Earth still be flat?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jubes: Which goddess would that be? :-)

Personally, I refer to Terra or Earth and Terrans in Trek, but I use Earth and human in everyday usage...

------------------
"I KNOW I'm dense..."
-a certain anonymous administrator

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gaia and Terra are both pretentious. I cast my vote for Dirt!

--Baloo

------------------
I'm a Dirtling and PROUD OF IT!

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be the Goddess, TSN, sheesh.

------------------
What do you mean I'm not kind. Just not you're kind.
--Dave Mustaine
"Peace Sells"
MEGADETH

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THE Goddess.

------------------
Ring this little golden bell
And see what changes with it's knell
Or Wonder, till it drives you mad...
What would have happened if you HAD.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reading this thread gives me the oddest feeling that people are talking about me, even though they aren't.

------------------
"And though I once prefered a human being's company, they pale before the monolith that towers over me."
--
They Might Be Giants

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, we're not, Sol.

Both Terra and Gaia have special meanings for me after playing a bunch of RPGs . I like being called Terran better, but I think Gaia is a better name for Earth.

------------------
"I have come to the conclusion that one man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three on the law become a congress! And by God I have had this Congress!"
--John Adams, "1776"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps