Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Computer Lobotomy

Author Topic: Computer Lobotomy
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I was wondering why one of my games was acting up and so on, and well, I went to check up on Technical support and lookie what I found......
http://www.battle.net/support/faq/appver.shtml

If you notice, it says something about a Windows CIH virus. Now, I downloaded a small program which is supposed to wipe this kind of stuff off, but it ain't working.

I may not be online as often since I do not want the virus to activate unexpectedly. However, any help with the removal of this problem would be appreciated, so I'll check in at another location from time to time. And, oh, get a virus Scanner. Though I did not download any programs and executables recently, it appears that it was easy for me to get infected. Be sure you check it out.

Wish me luck.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I did was install McAfee Virus scan and it cleaned my hard drive when I contracted it last year.

------------------
"I object to all this sex on the television. I mean, I keep falling off!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't the CIH the one that was also being called the "Chernobyl virus" a while back?

------------------
Homer: "I can see what's happening. They did it to Jesus, and now they're doing it to me."
Marge: "Are you comparing yourself to our lord?!"
Homer: "Well, in bowling ability..."
-The Simpsons

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, it attacks on March 26th, the anniversary of Chernobyl, but it is actually a coincidence. It fills the empty space in .exe files, sometimes rendering them useless until they're cleaned. Then on March 26th, it'll do several nasty things to your come, like flashing your BIOS filling it with junk, and making your comp a really expensive paper weight.

I suggest taking care of it soon, everyone should

------------------
"I object to all this sex on the television. I mean, I keep falling off!"

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, it's gonna hit in 13 days.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As of this moment, the hard drive has been cleaned of this virus. I'm not celebrating yet. As a precautionary measure, I plan to set the clock on my computer to after March 26. As well, I'm going to get a SECOND virus scanner to confirm that Hard Drive is clean of this virus.

Get a virus scanner guys. If I got infected, then it is likely that you will get infected too.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps