Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Very weird question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Very weird question
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While surfing on the site were Capps got his headacher, i found this question:

"so, if scientists reckon that the universe is everything, and the universe is expanding, what is it expanding into?"

COme to think of it, it *is* a bit true...any comments?

(Maybe if I see this question again tomorrow, it'll be all clear)

------------------
"When You're Up to Your Ass in Alligators, Today Is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."
-- Management slogan, Ridcully-style (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent, Discworld)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose all you can do is theorize...

Maybe the universe is creating itself as it goes along infinitely.

------------------
"No children have ever meddled with the Republican Party and have lived to tell about it." Sideshow Bob

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the bestest answer ever:
No-one really knows.

It's one of those things that Humanity hasn't gotten around to visualising, let alone comprehending (and subsequently raping and destroying, if these are the same humans I know of).

What could be out there?
A vacuum? Well isn't there one in the Universe as it stands, such that a vacuum expanding into another vacuum won't change all that much.

What if it's a total vacuum, one where even massless photons and gluons do not exist?
[remember, space isn't a perfect vacuum; there's stellar elements + interchange particles + neutrinos]
If so, then there could be no way of detecting it (photons = radiation, gluons => Strongly interacting matter). Then, that might be what's out there.

[Actually, I'm not too sure about the gluons having mass. I'm knackered, and could not be arsed to go and see if they have, even thought I'm being examined on this in a few weeks. Joy. Pure, unbridled joy.]

What if there are other bubble universes, created out of the Many-Worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics? Fair enough, they might be there, but then again the question arises "What's between them?"

Jeff's suggestion of created mass has been proposed, and actually was one of the two explanations for a Steady State universe, known at the time to be expanding (thanks to Hubble). It was put forward that matter creation was necessary to explain the expansion viz. the old matter stayed where it was, while new matter is being created constantly at the extreme edges of the Universe.
But once it was realised that galaxies are moving away from each other and from a single point, and that Conservation of Energy would most likely be violated by the concept
(mass =energy /(speed of light^2))
it was discarded in favour of the Big Bang theory, a model of which agrees with the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation found all over the universe.

Oh,and I don't have the foggiest idea what exists outside our universe. Probably the same "stuff" that existed outside of the infinitely-dense Primordial Atom from which Frank was spewed upon us.

------------------
Devil: Oh look at the time! I'm late for services.
Stone: Services?
Devil: A group of young teenagers that have been celebrating the Black Sabbath are planning on deep-sixing their gym teacher tonight. I'm gonna go and give them a little encouragement.

Brimstone. May it rest in syndication.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sure am popular these days...

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Frank, sometimes you are frightening on a scale that boggles the human imagination." - Krenim

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, since when where you not?

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I meant was not that matter was being created, but space itself... Where the laws of physics as we know them come into reality.

You can have matter, and you need the space to put it in. Maybe that space is ever-increasing.

------------------
"No children have ever meddled with the Republican Party and have lived to tell about it." Sideshow Bob

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff has this one close to nailed down. The question of "what is outside the universe" is essentially meaningless. There IS nothing outside the universe. That's why we call it that. It is not expanding into anything. It is merely expanding. And yes, it is space itself that is expanding, not matter.

The problem is that this is so completely counterintuitive, as it violates our common experience. But the universe rarely does things based on how well we will be able to understand them.

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cool thing about the universe that is expanding in to areas with nothing is before the universe is there in that area there is nothing, and if you believe in the space/time continum, in that area of nothing not even time exists, so the cool part is when the universe is there time starts, now here's the weird part, when the universe starts to get smaller area has nothing again is that going to be the literal end of time in that area, just a thought.

------------------
Somehow you were linked to this page, which doesn't really exist. Well, this one does, but the one you were trying to get to doesn't. Actually, that's not really true either, because it probably does, but either you mistyped it or our webmaster is asleep at the wheel. If the later is the case (you were linked here from a page within **********.net) then please let us know.

If you were linked here from an external site, which is most often the case, it would be nice of you to let them know.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I said, I can see it now.

The UNIVERSE is everything, and the amount of 'everything-ness' is expanding. That's it (I think)

------------------
"When You're Up to Your Ass in Alligators, Today Is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."
-- Management slogan, Ridcully-style (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent, Discworld)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's just filling the void.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why can't the universe be like another galaxy, with other universes nearby, all floating in a "megaverse"?
Isn't it egocentrical to think that our universe is the centre of existenz?
I mean, since we can't be sure of anything we shouldn't rule out anything.

------------------
-At least I can get it up without biomechanical pumps.
-Try falling into a pit of lava, Moffy. Then see how horny you feel.

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited April 20, 2000).]

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

Well, because we can't measure 'other' universes, it would be impossible to theorize if there ARE other universes...

Personally, I believe in multiverses, rather than one big megaverse.

------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Or, the entire universe is just one single atom part of an icecream some six your-old Q is holding

------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BUt if our universe were just one of many, then it wouldn't be the universe. The universe is everything. So, if there were other "universes", we'd have to come up with a different word for them. And then people would still go, "Well, how do we know that there aren't other omniverses? Isn't it a big egotistical to assuem that ours is the only onmi/multi/ego/fishverse in existence?"

And then we'd get "How do we know that there aren't other existences out there? Isn't it a bit vain to assume that there is just our existence? How many other "everything that exists"'s are out there?"

And then language collapses.

------------------
"Sometimes I wish the planet would be scoured with cleansing fire. Other times I just wish Frank would be."
Sol System

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there is a word for it, as already mentioned: multiverse. Anyone who's read enough Trek novels has to have seen it crop up at least once... :-)

And, actually, there are scientific theories out there about multiple "universes". The problem is that we can't observe them, so there's no way to know if they're there or not...

------------------
"Compared to you, every male on this ship is an expert on women!"
-Geordi LaForge to Wesley Crusher, TNG: "Sarek"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps