Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Napster vs. Metallica (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Napster vs. Metallica
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not for him. Huh huh.

------------------
"Hello and welcome to 'Whose Line Is It Anyway?' The show where everything's made up and the points don't matter - just like a condom to a Trekkie." - Drew Carey, Whose Line Is It Anyway?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of which would be true, if the equation music=software was valid.

However, the RIAA has so far failed to show any qualitative difference between MP3's and cassette tapes. (Ignoring for a moment my apparent inability to remember how to spell cassette...) And cassettes were heralded as the death of music when they were new, with many of the same arguments.

Personally, I disagree with the RIAA that its main goal is to ensure the copyright of the artist. From my point of view, their sole interest is to preserve the Radio/Wal-Mart monolith. When music is distributed outside the traditional corporate structure, it isn't the artists who are hurt, it's the suits.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm free market all the way, baby. I don't even think that the aforementioned "suits" are evil. But they are currently engaged in a business model that is strangling American music. Ultimately, I'd like to see the whole system die a screaming death. But I don't think MP3's or Napster will lead to this, just as cassettes haven't. I'm willing to bet, barring recession or wholesale economic crash, that album sales will continue to rise this year, even with all those mean folks stealing music.

------------------
"Oh, it's an anti-anti-WTO song. It's essentially a pro-Starbucks song. I saw this picture of a guy sticking his foot through a plate-glass window in a Starbucks in Seattle, and he was wearing a Nike. Man, couldn't you just change your shoes?"
--
M. Doughty

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lmao. You think they would drop prices if we stopped? Anyway ol chap, that's the whole point. Refuse to pay ludicrous prices. Take the generally used office software. Over here you are looking at $500 for the lot. Bugger me if I A) have that kind of money B) am going to pay for it.

------------------
"Blind faith is the crutch of fools"

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well you know it's nice that the RIAA doesn't like folks who break the laws, perhaps they should check there own members first, well because they been bad little boys http://www.rapidcontent.com/radiofreecash/articles.phtml?a=391cab75.4d13.27&c=rollingstone.music_news.ft&d=20000512

Well, Well maybe if the Record companies act using legal pratices maybe I would care a bit more about Napster (btw I was one of the 350,000 people banned from the use of Napster)

------------------
Somehow you were linked to this page, which doesn't really exist. Well, this one does, but the one you were trying to get to doesn't. Actually, that's not really true either, because it probably does, but either you mistyped it or our webmaster is asleep at the wheel. If the later is the case (you were linked here from a page within **********.net) then please let us know.

If you were linked here from an external site, which is most often the case, it would be nice of you to let them know.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daryus: Theft is theft.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
John Flansburgh: "This song is so old that it's actually featured on our brand new record."
John Linnell: "It's one of those year 2000 problems."

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should watch Les Miserables, Frank.

Some of us need to burn Windows 98 to feed our starving family as well.

------------------
"Hello and welcome to 'Whose Line Is It Anyway?' The show where everything's made up and the points don't matter - just like a condom to a Trekkie." - Drew Carey, Whose Line Is It Anyway?

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tell me something Frank, if a loaf of bread is overpriced, and a man takes it, would you crucify him? The oh so great market is not forcing the companies to come to an acceptable equilibrium price. Thus the industrious are pivoting within the existing system to achieve their goals. Its nothing new.

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again, breaking the law destroys societies. If you don't like a law, get it changed.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
John Flansburgh: "This song is so old that it's actually featured on our brand new record."
John Linnell: "It's one of those year 2000 problems."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps this is our way of getting it changed. Think about it: MP3 as a form of civil disobedience. *grin*

------------------
"The search and the arrest provided several hours of entertainment in the neighborhood."
-"Worm Suspect Arrested", Wired News

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Uh, that's not how you change laws...you're supposed to call up the members of Congress and complain loudly.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We can't really say we feel comfortable in Los Angeles, because we don't." - John Flansburgh

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

Yeah, go through the beaureaucrats. That really works. Nope, if you want it to change you have to do something to make them take notice. Not spend your time holding the line. By the way, you can go ring a congressman, what impact will that have on me over here?

------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plus, who am I actually taking money off of? You think that I can afford �300 to but Office 2000? Bugger me if I can.

I, personally, don't think that computer games are overpriced. Look, TIE Fighter cost �40 when it was released. The average price of PC games today is �30-�35. At the start of the 90s, it was �30 for an Amiga game, which had far less manpower behind it. So I'm perfectly willing to pay for PC and Playstation games.

However, don't you think it's strange that the unpiratable cart based systems, such as the N64, have games costing almost twice as much? If no-one's copying them ,how comes they don't cost �20?

------------------
*Amusing quote not available, please call back later*

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

"Nope, if you want it to change you have to do something to make them take notice."

Like replace the government.

"Plus, who am I actually taking money off of?"

The people who pay full price for the software.

Computer games don't cost much because their target market is consumers, not businesses.

People do copy N64 games to use for ROM emulators.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We can't really say we feel comfortable in Los Angeles, because we don't." - John Flansburgh

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"'Plus, who am I actually taking money off of?'
The people who pay full price for the software."

Well, sometimes it's costly to follow your morals. I guess you'll just have to consider it a victory in principle...

------------------
"The search and the arrest provided several hours of entertainment in the neighborhood."
-"Worm Suspect Arrested", Wired News

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

Here's an idea. Since you're so set on paying, have a monimal fee. Say $10. For business charge, for personal use....don't.

------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps