Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Uh-Oh!

Author Topic: Uh-Oh!
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.cnn.com/2000/SHOWBIZ/TV/05/13/friends.negotiations.ap/index.html

Oh, no! Friends must stay!

------------------
If you want to get your soul to heaven,
trust in me.
Don't judge or question.
You are broken now,
but faith can heal you.
Just do everything I tell you to do.
Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow.
Let me lay my holy hand upon you.

-Tool, "Opiate"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's see, now. Each one of them earned about 5 times what I make per episode last year. With 22 episodes per year, that's almost THREE MILLION DOLLARS! This year that's not enough. They want TWENTY-TWO MILLION DOLLARS for the season. That's more than a 700% increase. Stop me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the inflation rate somewhat less then 700% last year?

I can see the negotiations now. "Well, mister network executive, while I appreciate your offer of 800 thou' an episode, I really like the sound of a cool million per, myself. We're really, really popular right now, and while we realize we're earning as much or more than many of our fans will realize in a lifetime, we have no financial sense and are spending money faster than we're earning it."

Sounds like opportunism to me. Sorry, folks, but if I were a network exec., I'd have to remind you that you can wait about 20-30 years and see Friends on Nick-At-Night or TVLand. Just how much money does the network make from this show anyway?

--Baloo

------------------
"When you�re a geek . . .
You�re a geek all the way,
From your first sci-fi con
To your last dying day."
-- James Lileks
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say that they make enough money to give thhem all the million, or they'd have just flat out refused it.

Personally, I don't have a problem with it. Movie and sports stars earn an incredible amount too.

If the cast didn't earn as much, where would the extra money have gone? Into the executives pockets?

The sad fact is that TV is an extremely unsure medium to work in. You can be racking in loads one year, then earn nothing for another couple. And due to the whole bastard nature of TV, the more successful you are in a role, the harder it can be to find other roles (witness how shocked everyone was when they first saw Koenig in B5, and found out that he was actually really good).

------------------
*Amusing quote not available, please call back later*

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NBC does depend a great deal on Friends and ER. With those two shows gone, their whole schedule starts to collapse.

I don't have much sympathy for people making more money then I will ever possibly see. But if they can find someone willing to pay, I say more power to them.

------------------
"Oh, it's an anti-anti-WTO song. It's essentially a pro-Starbucks song. I saw this picture of a guy sticking his foot through a plate-glass window in a Starbucks in Seattle, and he was wearing a Nike. Man, couldn't you just change your shoes?"
--
M. Doughty

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
However, if you or I were in their position, we'd lobby for as much money as we could get too.

And don't give me any of that "I wouldn't ask for as much as I could get, I'd know how lucky I was to be in that position, and that would be my payment." Yeah, right, princess.

How many of you don't wish to get a raise at work. The only difference is that the "Friends" cast recieves exponentially more than we do, due to the nature of their job. We don't make companies millions, they do. Same with athletes.

------------------
"Hello and welcome to 'Whose Line Is It Anyway?' The show where everything's made up and the points don't matter - just like a condom to a Trekkie." - Drew Carey, Whose Line Is It Anyway?

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't worry be happy everything is taken care of read the link for more info
http://www.cnn.com/2000/SHOWBIZ/TV/05/14/friends.reut/index.html

------------------
Somehow you were linked to this page, which doesn't really exist. Well, this one does, but the one you were trying to get to doesn't. Actually, that's not really true either, because it probably does, but either you mistyped it or our webmaster is asleep at the wheel. If the later is the case (you were linked here from a page within **********.net) then please let us know.

If you were linked here from an external site, which is most often the case, it would be nice of you to let them know.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stars get their money from the network.
Which gets its money from the advertisers.
Who get their money from the consumers who buy the products they advertise.
Which is us.

The only way to stop the cycle of evil is to never buy anything you see advertised on TV.

Yeah, RIGHT.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since I don't base my purchasing decisions on what products sponsor my favorite shows, I suppose I don't have to accept the blame for Friends' continued existence.If they're making more money than many third-world nations, at least it isn't necessarily coming out of my pocket.

--Baloo

------------------
"When you�re a geek . . .
You�re a geek all the way,
From your first sci-fi con
To your last dying day."
-- James Lileks
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.