Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » At right angles to reality.

Author Topic: At right angles to reality.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone. My name is Simon. I just want to clarify that, because I'm no longer sure that this universe is the same one I had breakfast in.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

This evening, little old me sat down to the computer to enjoy an evening of message board surfing and homework-avoidance. A typical Tuesday, in other words. Well, everything was going fine, until I got online. You see, ever since the Great Crash of '00, when I almost lost all my data, my computer has had a few quirks. Most notably, it always prompts me to log on to a LAN when I connect to the 'Net. Which is no big deal, I just hit cancel, right?

Wrong. That is, I normally hit cancel. This time, for whatever reason, I hit Ok. This launched me on a journey worthy of a Rod Sterling narration.

The first thing I noticed was that my desktop color scheme had shifted. Odd, but I thought nothing of it. So I start up ICQ. So far so good. Hey, look, my cousin Tony is online.

But...

I lost his ICQ number, and all others, in the Crash. I was never able to retrieve my original password, so I had to start a new profile. Out with Solipcist, in with Sol System. Now, all that has apparently been reversed. I am now running my old ICQ profile, through no intervention of my own. I am beginning to worry.

And like the social animal I am, I make my way here to share the tale, only to find that as far as IE is concerned, I've never been here before. In fact, I've never been anywhere. (Netscape, on the other hand, seems to still be grounded in the other reality.)

So please, someone out there with brains and stuff, tell me what the heck is going on. I feel like I'm trapped in an episode of Sliders, only without the lovely Kari Wuhrer to keep me company. In other words, I am officially creeped out.

------------------
"While it is true that 15% of home accidents are caused by large penis related incidents, only a small number have ever been known to be fatal."
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm back! Taking a helpful suggestion from Frank ("Uh, did you try rebooting?"), I've been able to revert my computer to its earlier state and ICQ profile.

Even better, I know believe I have found a doorway between the two realities. I can cross back and forth at will. I'm not sure what this means, but I intend to explore alternate Earth's until I start to suck a lot and get canceled.

------------------
"While it is true that 15% of home accidents are caused by large penis related incidents, only a small number have ever been known to be fatal."
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"!

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We'll just add this to the growing list of Simon's personalities. Split or LAN induced.

------------------
Oh, goody, the Sea Monkeys I ordered have arrived. Heh heh heh, look at them cavort and caper.
~C. Montgomery Burns

And be sure to visit The Field Marshal project http://fieldmarshal.virtualave.net/

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like you have a freak case of weird user-profile setup.

------------------
"Remeber, if there is a nuclear explosion, be sure to close your windows as the massive heat could cause objects within your home to catch fire".

Wise, wise words.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somethings amiss.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great. And I deleted Solipcist from my ICQ. So is Solipcist the one you're going to use from now on? Is it safe to delete Sol System?

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had something similar happen to ICQ once! I'm not alone! Yeehaw!

My ICQ just decided to revert to how it was about three weeks after I got it; this incident happened last summer (about five months after I got ICQ). It was very unnerving. But then it took its medicine and got better, much like your whole computer.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tahna: He would be "Sol System" whenever he's in normal mode. He'll only be "Solipcist" when he's screwing around in the Mirror Universe... :-)

------------------
"This is Major Tom to ground control. I'm stepping through the door, and I'm floating in a most peculiar way. And the stars look very different today..."
-David Bowie, "Space Oddity"

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Frank I offically hate you now, since you got to say "did you try rebooting"

Hey I can beat that, "Did you log out" you know that loging off and loging back on can do the same thing.

Actually it sounds like that sol has a Microsoft Family logon as the default log on method, in which such weirdness can result, for example, I once had a customer who could get his mail there under one log on but not the other two, after asking a little about it I discovered they could have different colors, icons, and different programs. My guess is that ICQ might have been upgraded since then and is in a different directory (mostly likely it's older version) for the buddy list (I guess that's what they call it). IE is dessigned from the ground up to work with this system. Netscape mostly likely uses a different method of tracking users.

------------------
Somehow you were linked to this page, which doesn't really exist. Well, this one does, but the one you were trying to get to doesn't. Actually, that's not really true either, because it probably does, but either you mistyped it or our webmaster is asleep at the wheel. If the later is the case (you were linked here from a page within **********.net) then please let us know.

If you were linked here from an external site, which is most often the case, it would be nice of you to let them know.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps