Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Ethernet Cards (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ethernet Cards
Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm getting an ethernet card for my computer when I go off to college. What's the difference between expensive and cheap ones? Is there a speed difference? Would I need anything more than the cheapest one available?

------------------
"One more day before the storm
At the barricades of freedom!
When our ranks begin to form
Will you take your place with me?"
--Enjolras, "One Day More," Les Miserables

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The nic card really doesn't make much of a difference in speed basically any nic card will do (I like the cheap one's since if you need to replace them it's like 15 bucks and they basically work with anything).

If you want to improve your internet connection speed at the university go to *cough*speedguide.net*cough*. The download patches there (backing up the registry is a good idea) and that can make a HUGH difference in download speed (my download speeds more tripled).

------------------
Somehow you were linked to this page, which doesn't really exist. Well, this one does, but the one you were trying to get to doesn't. Actually, that's not really true either, because it probably does, but either you mistyped it or our webmaster is asleep at the wheel. If the later is the case (you were linked here from a page within **********.net) then please let us know.

If you were linked here from an external site, which is most often the case, it would be nice of you to let them know.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be sure to get a 10/100 card in case you ever get to use a fast Ethernet network.

------------------
June is National Accordion Awareness Month.
"People are buried however they choose to be, apparently. Unless you've never written your will, in which case your body is shipped to Meltakron V and reanimated to serve as a robot in their yttrium mines." - Simon Sizer

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, what's a 10/100 card?

------------------
"One more day before the storm
At the barricades of freedom!
When our ranks begin to form
Will you take your place with me?"
--Enjolras, "One Day More," Les Miserables

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A card that works on both 10-base-T (regular Ethernet) and 100-base-TX (fast Ethernet) networks. Most are of this type, luckily. The really cheap ones might only work on 10-base-T networks, and the ones that are sold in bulk with the intention of giving newly-hired IT support technicians headaches are 100-only (from personal experience).

------------------
June is National Accordion Awareness Month.
"People are buried however they choose to be, apparently. Unless you've never written your will, in which case your body is shipped to Meltakron V and reanimated to serve as a robot in their yttrium mines." - Simon Sizer

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Linksys. It works, AND it's not expensive. 'Nuff said.

------------------
"BAD KIKI! No karaoke in the house!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two of the computers at my house have LinkSys cards, and we really haven't had much trouble w/ them. Plenty of trouble w/ the networking, but not the cards themselves. A friend of mine had a LinkSys card, and it burned out. Literally. Smoke, melting, everything. *shrugs* I'm sure it was just a fluke... :-)

------------------
"I'm sick of you little girl and boy groups: all you do is annoy me, so I have been sent here to destroy you..."
-Eminem, "The Real Slim Shady"

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think so TSN, my computer caught fire!!! But then again it was a Packard Bell... Anyway, I am using Ethernet cards for my network. They were a pain to install becase on of my towers had a SoundBlaster Card that conflicted with the Ethernet card for unknown reasons that I still cannot figure out. So, I had to disconnect the sound card to get my network running. But I couldn't use my Napster without my the SoundBlaster card, until I paid a tech guy to fix it for me.

------------------
Personal Ad # 74913

-I'm an 18 year old Filipino student in the Los Angeles area looking for a steady boyfriend to compensate for very healthy sexual appetite. Must be white, blond, and have blue eyes.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My company uses 3Com-10/100 cards. They are reliable and can often be recognized by Windows (preferrably Win98SE) without the need of outside drivers, because they're a big brand. Intel also has good cards, but our network is solely based upon 3Com.

------------------
Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
How dare you, Dangerboy?
I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another good ethernet card is Netgear. I've had my for about a two years now, and no problems. And it was only 25 bucks, too.

------------------
"The lies I told are not falsehoods according to my definition of truth." Bill Clinton
"All stupid people are liberals, because they don't know any better." Rob Rodehorst
"Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups" - Dilbert, Scott Adams

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

The above cards that I complained vehemently about were NetGear ones.

In general, just get the most expensive card.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Canadian bacon is called that because it's made from Canadians. And while I'm on the subject, could you people cut back on the fish and rodents and eat more fruits and berries? It would vastly improve your flavor, in my opinion." - Simon Sizer

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which may be helpful in a "expensive=better" kind of way, isn't very helpful in a "expenisve=MONEY" kind of way.

------------------
"I can't believe we're actually gonna meet Guru Lou. Everyone says he's the wisest man in the universe. He's sensitive, creative, has a great sense of humour, and he's a really smooth dancer. *giggles*"
"You're confused Polly. We're not meeting Paul Newman."
- Polly & Speedy; Samurai Pizza Cats

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Well, ultimately, the difference in card prices will only be $10-$15, and the more expensive ones will probably last longer and be less likely to fail.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Canadian bacon is called that because it's made from Canadians. And while I'm on the subject, could you people cut back on the fish and rodents and eat more fruits and berries? It would vastly improve your flavor, in my opinion." - Simon Sizer

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, a cheap 10 Base-T card costs about $20, a cheap 10/100 card costs about $30, a 3Com 10/100 costs $70.
(Canadian prices in case you are wondering)

Thats a significant difference. Personally I'd suggest just buying a cheap 10 base-T card like the D-Link card I'm using right now. Its working quite fine...

Not too mention, I did manage to fry a pretty expensive 3Com modem...
------------------
No I'm Spartacus!

[This message has been edited by Mucus (edited July 05, 2000).]

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, paying more money for stuff is what many Mac users do... :-)

------------------
"The lies I told are not falsehoods according to my definition of truth." Bill Clinton
"All stupid people are liberals, because they don't know any better." Rob Rodehorst
"Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups" - Dilbert, Scott Adams

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps