Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Anybody still play DOOM? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Anybody still play DOOM?
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm having a problem with my "Ultimate DOOM for Windows 95."

It used to play just fine, but the last couple times I tried to play it, instead of giving me the standard full-screen display, it jammed everything up in one-quarter of the screen, (top left) AND turned everything weird photonegative colors.

I uninstalled and deleted the whole program, and reinstalled it, just in case there was a problem with a degraded program, but that didn't work.

I tried playing it directly from the CD-ROM, but it still did the same thing.

All my other programs seem to work okay...
Might I have some video setting somewhere set wrong?
Any ideas?

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can have my DOOM-N64 cartridge if you want.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't do me any good. I abstained from the Nintendo craze, the Sega craze, the... well, to put it simply, the last 'cartridge' player I owned was an old "Combat"-era Atari.

Please excuse me while I drag my knuckles back into my cave, and try to make fire.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a video driver problem. Have you installed a new video card lately, or even changed the resolution to something higher?

------------------
"You must give in to tock." - The First One

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stopped playing in '96, but I'm gonna try and get hold of a full version again soon, because a big patch has been conceived that lets the 3d-card "smooth" out the pixels and fix a few other bugs inherent in the game.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to play the Demo. I can't find the full version at the game stores around here though. Too lazy to check online too. :p
Sounds like either you have a corrupted file in Windows (most likely, we're talking Windoze here) related to that game (one that isn't deleted in a uninstall), or it could be what they said, new graphics card or visual settings. I used to get that with some DOS games too.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, um, remember Doom.

------------------
Pronouces it "Twenty-O-One"
This post is sponsored in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

Coddman
()PAK CHOOIE UNF()
Member # 10

- posted      Profile for Coddman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, DOOM is now open-source. ID software released the source code. The registered version is no longer being actively sold, and Ultimate DOOM (not for Windows 95.. for DOS, but it still runs under Windows 95) is 5 megabytes at any abandonware site. If you want it, I have it. *L*

P.S., DOOM may be old, but it makes a kick-ass LAN party game. Even if you have to oldify your network with IPX/SPX simulation for a game. *LOL* But it'll run on even Brian's old comp....let's see Quake do that!

[This message has been edited by Coddman (edited January 15, 2001).]

Hobbes
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use to like Quake, but then I played Unreal Tournament.

There's a store here that has about 10 computers hooked up to a LAN and when you get about as many people there in a game of UT it's a blast.

Unlike Quake, UT doesn't require a 3D graphics card. I can run it on this computer with its 4MB card. Although the Dell comp I'm going to buy will have a 32MB card, so at least it will look a lot better than it does on this one.

------------------
Pronouces it "Twenty-O-One"

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited January 16, 2001).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Noooooooooooo. Not a Quake III vs Unreal Tournament argument. Please god, don't let it happen.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Well, I reset the colors and screen resolution, and that seemed to enlarge the screen somewhat, so that now the full-screen covers all but the bottom 1 1/2 inch of the screen, so I guess that will have to do. Damn, but that makes the monsters small, though...

------------------

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No wonder I can't find it.
I don't know any abandonware sites, at least not that come to mind. The closest would be download.com, except they aren't too reliable getting it.

Hobbes
Member # 138

What about Voyager: Elite Force? I can't play it, until I get my own computer. Is it worth buying?

------------------
"Great Idea!!" - DARKSTAR

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
St4R tr3k: 1337 F0rc3 = GREAT IDEA!!!!

------------------
"...[They've] been so completely dumbed down by the media, by tabloid scumbags, by the Christian "right", by politicians in general, the school, parents who are dumber than their parents were, who are dumber than their parents were, and all of whom think that they can bring up a child just because they got down in bed and had a little sex...well, frankly, here is an audience that knows more and more about less and less as the years go by...We are talking about a constituency...that knows nothing. This is pandemic; terrifyingly, paralyzingly pandemic. They know absolutely nothing."
- Harlan Ellison, on the Media Consumer of today.

Hobbes
Member # 138

I guess I'll take that as a yes from UM.

------------------
"Great Idea!!" - DARKSTAR

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps