Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Far be it from me to stand in the way of development (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Far be it from me to stand in the way of development
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it seems its storage methods are radically different from both the CD and DVD. All of the 10-20 layers in the disc are transparent, giving the laser access to any point of it.

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This could explain how a Voyager tricorder can hold more data than the whole computer core on the Enterprise-D.

Well not really...

But as far as the question goes, "Who needs that much space?" As I mentioned early I have a 40gig hd and only use about 8gigs. I could see how big corporations or something might find this FMD technology useful. But the average person...no.

------------------
"Anatomically impossible, Mr. Garibaldi, but you're welcome to try .. anytime .. anywhere." - Bester
Federation Starship Datalink: Brand new look, fresh minty scent, same great taste!

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once had a 4 gig hard drive. I thought I could never fill it up. I was wrong, so I got a 8 gig hard drive as well. I thought I'd never fill it up. I was wrong, so I got a 15 gig hard drive in trade for the 4 and 8. I thought I'd never fill it up. I was wrong. Now I need something bigger. Like a 40 gig hard drive.

------------------
"Goverment exists to serve, not to lead. We do not exist by its volition, it exists by ours. Bear that in mind when you insult your neighbors for refusing to bow before it." J. Richmond

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 20 gig harddrive not even half filled yet, and if I was getting too close to filling it, I have a handy little CD-RW that will burn me a few hundred megs of files per disc and save me some room.
Right now I wait until I have about 600 or so odd megs of program installation files, burn them to a disc, delete them off the harddrive and have all of them sorted in one handy little cd. If I ever have a crash, I can reinstall anything lost.
Basically have no need for a monster 50gig cd although one may come in handy if I start accumulating too many cd's. :p

------------------
I knew a blonde that was so stupid that she studied for a blood test.

[This message has been edited by TLE (edited March 25, 2001).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are obviously an anomoly. It is a well known fact that I just made up that almost all hard drives, regardless of their size, are 92% full after having been owned for 8 months.

"I know for a fact that DVD are vastly superior to CD in both video and audio."

Er, really? For a fact?

The difference between DVD and CD is not like the difference between CD and cassette. Both DVDs and CDs are digital storage formats. Their only difference is their size, so the quality of recordings is based on HOW they are stored. For example, Video-CD's used the MPEG1 format, and DVD's use the MPEG2 format.

I'm not sure how the audio will be better, since there aren't a huge number of music DVD's (I don't mean the video ones. I mean DVD's that contain albums and are targatted at people the same way that CD music album's are), so I don't know if they are stored any different.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Both DVDs and CDs are digital storage formats. Their only difference is their size, so the quality of recordings is based on HOW they are stored.

That is absolutely correct, Liam. There is no difference between DVDs and CDROMs when it comes to quality of audio or video. The only difference is file size, and how it is copied to the disk. The information doesn't change, only in how it is transferred. As others have noted, the only advantage DVD has is its capacity.

And as for CD burners, I have one. I also have over 150 CDRs of information. I still think I need a bigger hard drive.

------------------
"Goverment exists to serve, not to lead. We do not exist by its volition, it exists by ours. Bear that in mind when you insult your neighbors for refusing to bow before it." J. Richmond

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a LOOOOOT of storage space!

I suppose if I saved every file I use, I could probably fill up something like that. Or if I wanted to save whole episodes on disk...

As it is, I have two operating systems running on my computer - MacOS and Windoze 95 (via VirtualPC) - and I STILL have a large percentage of my HD free.

I need to buy more games...

------------------
You know, you really should keep a personal log. Why bore others needlessly?
The Gigantic Collection of Star Trek Minutiae

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What?

then why are DVD so much better in quality then VCD

Is it only because of format??

Doesn't DVD use different spectrum of later light as well?? Doesn't this contribute to some improvement in quality?

------------------
What is the difference between a terriorist and your girlfriend?
- With terrorist, there is a chance of negotiation.

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the later at night they burn the thing, the better the kvalit�t!

As the FMD-guys say, the common "red" laser is planned to be succeeded by the "blue" laser, who is (at the time) too big and hot to be installed in a personal computer's Disc-drive.

------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"then why are DVD so much better in quality then VCD"

CD's were designed to store 74 mintues of 16-bit audio. To fit video onto them, the picture has to be compressed. Like JPEG and GIF are still picture compression format's, MPEG is a video compression format. MPEG-1 was designed to allow 74 minutes of video on a CD, but because of the lack of available space they are fairly heavily compressed. The resolution is half that of VHS, I believe, but because of the lack of ghosting and other analogue effects, the picture seems better (as long as it isn't paused).

DVD was designed from the ground up for video. Is uses the MPEG-2 compression format, which is more efficient, and produces a better picture (as an aside, they're up to MPEG-4, which can apparently just about fit a DVD quality movie on a CD. Ho hum). There is a lot more space to play with on a DVD, several gigabytes, as opposed to 740 mb. So they can store more information, which equals better picture and sound.

You ever looked at Realplayer files? Noticed that the bigger ones are better quality?

(I know that my figures might be a bit off. That's because I made them up).

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Nim
Member # 205

Give our turnip a good topic and he turns into rainman!

So if the limit to a video file's quality is set by how much space it can rest in, then this new file format will let us store full motion pictures of the highest quality on these new babies!
And since they don't cost that much more to produce, I think it's safe to say that we have some nice things to look forward to, yes?

------------------

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

It does depend on storage space, AS well as compression. Mpeg-4 is a wonderful format- and Liam is right about it fitting on a 650mb cdr. A DVD quality movie that fits on one regular CDR... Now all one needs to do is upgrade dvd players and software so that it can play mpeg-4, and you can have DVDs with entire series of shows. Star Trek TNG Season 1 on a single DVD...now that would be cool.

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DIVX sucks.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Nim
Member # 205

But the quality must get better the less compressed it is, roight? Giving it "elbow room"? I think it does...

On the "just thought I'd tellya" side, I recently finished a meal consisting of a whole pack of bacon (8 slices cut in half for bitesize), three fried eggs, two loafs of fried toast, a bunch of silly baby tomatoes and 3/4 litre of milk, plus some applejuice. I haven't felt this good in months, been very long since I had bacon.
And now for a good ceegar! (No wait, I hate cigars.)

I think I'll just fall asleep in this chair...

------------------

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

Jeff, you know that's not what I'm talking about, so can it.

------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps