Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Far be it from me to stand in the way of development (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Far be it from me to stand in the way of development
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am talking about the "DIVX" rollout, supported by Paramount and Fox at first, not the actual compression system. Surely you're aware that's what I'm talking about.

DIVX still sucks.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, you people have been living in the stone age
What is this DVD nonsense?? Why can't you use the 10^10terrabyte datacrystals that everyone else does?

------------------
"Well if it's gonna be that kind of a party, I'm putting my dick in the mashed potatoes!"

-Nimrod 16/4/2001

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, yes.

I would like to point out that all DVD players receiving an upgrade to support MPEG-4 is about as likely as Simon fitting into a pair of hot pants.

What we buy is largely determined by very big companies. They told us to get rid of our vinyl records, and buy CD's, because they were better. And lo and behold, we did. A decade later, admitedley, but still.

When the companies went off on their own, they got failures (CD-I for one, Minidisc for another AND DON'T START!). When they all worked together, they got successes (CD's, and DVD's). It's took them around 10 years to get everyone buying CD's. It's taken them 4 years to get us to start buying DVD players and Widescreen TV's (and they still aren't at the point of CD success). Can you really imagine them turning around and saying "Oh, we're now going to release a NEW DVD format, so that all you who have bought DVD players will feel really pissed off! BWAHAHAHAHA!"

They're not selling to computer nerds who are quite happy to upgrade their computer every year. They are trying to sell to the general public, who hate anything remotely new.

We won't be seeing these new discs getting mass-market penetration any time soon. At best, they'll become the new laserdisc. At worst, they'll be a foot-note, until, in 10 years time, Sony and Philips deceide will all need to upgrade our stuff again.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are we to assume that someone is a computer nerd just because he/she upgrades once every five months? Just because not everyone toils in technological obscurity with a celeron and 32mb of ram doesn't mean we're nerds. I would not buy the new DVD format because I don't need it, but if I did, I would not hesitate to do it immediately. And about my last post, kid, you don't know how to take jokes now do you?

------------------
"Well if it's gonna be that kind of a party, I'm putting my dick in the mashed potatoes!"

-Nimrod 16/4/2001

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh*

Even Darkstar took things better than you do.

BTW - Yes, upgrading you hot source of hands3xx0r, or computer, every five months is a major source of nerdage.

BTWA - Liam, a kid? Uh. As compared to you?

------------------
"Instructed by history and reflection, Julian was persuaded that, if the diseases of the body may sometimes be cured by salutary violence, neither steel nor fire can eradicate the erroneous opinions of the mind."

-Edward Gibbons, The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't even want to know how one upgrades one's source of hands3xx0r... New gloves, maybe?

------------------
"As part of Mr. Lee's good neighbor policy, all Rat Things are programmed never to break the sound barrier in a populated area. But Fido's in too much of a hurry to worry about the good neighbor policy. Jack the sound barrier. Bring the noise."
-Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no...
Antagonist
Member # 484

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a perfect world, FMD would come to mass market fairly fast (within 4 years time or so), and be able to best out or even keep up with the already established and fledgling CD and DVD standards.

However this isn't a perfect world. We have things called industry standards and copyright laws and the like. Movie making labels sell, almost exclusively, their movie rights to supporters of the VHS and DVD communities.

I can see the need for this immense storage capacity.
Anybody ever heard of TiVo? The device that allows Television views to prerecord their favorite television programs to a hard drive and watch it at any time they wish? This device is amazingly useful, but theonly downside is that the quality of recording is SHIT. It isn't even VHS quality, and by my standards, VHS is not quality. if you want VHS quality, the usual 90 hour recording time is rediced to 30 hours. Like I said, this FMD thing could really be useful for TiVo, as the gargantuan size would mean views could view VHS quality TV shows (what we view normally) with a considerable record time still available.

I had a view other things to say, but I forgot, so I guess you're all pretty lucky I'm not going to continue to talk.

------------------
"Turn off every .sig!"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wordplay, eh? The farce is strong with this one...

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps