Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Bass Clarinet (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bass Clarinet
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to know many things.

A) Where can I get one online from a reputable source?

B) Where can I get one online CHEAPLY from a reputable source?

C) How can I be sure that I'm not buying an alto accidently? I almost did that today.

D) Anything else you think I need to know?

------------------
"How do you define fool?"
"I don't attempt it. I wait for demonstrations. They inevitably surpass my imagination."
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any auction site that has been around for awhile and isn't flamed all over the place, make sure the details are specific, if you have a question ask it before bidding.

If you use a site from a music store get as much detail as possible, down to the average mass of the item, if you want, but ask all questions to make sure you get what you want.

Double check all refund and shipping policies also, since you may get something you didn't want and have to return it.

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, there's cheaper ways to get clarinet grease.

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are two quick ways to tell if you are getting an alto clarinet or a bass clarinet.

First, look at the picture. An alto clarinet is about the size of an alto saxophone, i.e. it's diameter is about 2 to 3 inches and about 2 to 3 feet in height. It also has an upturned bell like alto through bass saxophones have. A bass clarient looks the same as an alto clarinet; however, it is taller (roughly four feet tall) with a kickstand and 3 to 4 inch diameter.

Second, check to see what key the instrument is. Alto clarients are usually in E-flat and bass clarinets are usually in B-flat.

A third, and my favorite way, is to actually have it in front of you. If you have good arms and manage to throw the sucker 10 to 20 feet away, it's an alto clarinet. If you can lob it 5 to 10 feet away, it's a bass clarinet.

For my next post, we'll wrap up the clarinet family and move on to the saxophone family! Yay!

------------------
Nic: She's not a practicing lesbian. We need PRACTICING lesbians!
Me: I have a camcorder.
Nic: But no lesbians.
Me: Ahhh... no.
Nic: DAMN IT MAN! WE NEED LESBIANS! LOTS AND LOTS OF LESBIANS!

ICQ Conversation From January 23, 2001.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All your bass clarinet are... Nope! Never mind! Not going to say it!

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For great Bassoon.

------------------
"It strikes me that there are enough episodes of the Simpsons that people could speak entirely in Simpsonese, using references from the show to explain or describe an endless series of situations. Nelson and Apu . . . at Tinagra.

But now I�ve brought Star Trek into it again, haven�t I. Sorry."

- James Lileks, 09/04/2001

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Woodwind and the Brasswind. This is where my flute and saxaphone came from, and I know a LOT of people who have gotten their instruments through here with great results. I can't say enough for them... order a catalog and go from there, babe! Happy shopping!

~LOA

------------------
"Apprently, "pooty" involves deities and pretty girls in compromising positions..." ~TSN Jan. 18th, 2001

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brasswind? Why have I never heard that before, and why does it sound vaguely rude?

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because you have a dirty mind?

Liz:

Thanks, hon!

------------------
"I don't attempt it. I wait for demonstrations. They inevitably surpass my imagination."
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny, this made me think of taking up clarinet again. It makes a nice sound, it does...

But-but *sob* I don't want to end up like Harry!!! Those gnome-people were so rude to him!!!! I swear, he was one step away from going back to his quarters, do some heroin and then stick a phaser rifle in his meouth.

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Omega
Member # 91

OK, nice site, but $900 is still a tad steep. Any good used sites out there?

------------------
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could try looking right HERE!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Omega
Member # 91

Well, I found one on a clarinet classifieds page. I'll record some for y'all and upload it, if you'd like. Once it arrives, of course, which it should some time next week.

------------------
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$900 is nothing.... I could only WISH my instruments were the inexpensive :-P Since I've taken up the guitar, I'm really beginning to wonder why I didn't just play that to BEGIN with.... it's MUCH more cost effective.... $10,000 for a flute is not..... but it'll be paid still. Pleh.

~LOA

------------------
"Apprently, "pooty" involves deities and pretty girls in compromising positions..." ~TSN Jan. 18th, 2001

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guitar = deadly.

It's so much easier to pick up than the piano (both figuratively and literally speaking ), and you can play along to almost any song on the radio after listening to it for a minute. That = friggin' impossible on piano.
And I've only been playin since Xmas.

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps