Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Today in History (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Today in History
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
June 6th, 1944 & 2001.

Fifty-seven years ago today, soldiers from twelve nations -- the U.S., Great Britain, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, France, Belgium, Norway, Poland, Greece and Holland -- launched the most daring amphibious assault ever attempted.

Backed up by a massive armada of over five thousand ships -- ranging from massive battleships to the smaller transports and landing craft -- these men set about to do nothing less then save the world.

"Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force:

"You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hope and prayers of liberty-loving people everwhere march with you...

"Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely.

"But this is the year 1944!...The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching to Victory!

"I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory!

"Good luck! And let us all beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking."

-General Eisenhower

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHAT!? You mean Great Britain, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, France, Belgium, Norway, Poland, Greece and Holland were actually there?
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Dad was threre too. Lucky for him he didn't have to go in till the third day. Probably lucky for the whole family.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I knew they were all there...

Can't believe some people are still bitchin' about "Private Ryan," though. That took place on Omaha Beach, didn't it? Where the landing force was almost entirely (actually, I think it WAS entirely) American, wasn't it? The Brits and Canadians were at three other beaches, but since they weren't THERE, it wasn't integral to the story now, was it?

Actually, I don't know the proportional makeup of each nation's troop counts, but I'd just LOVE to see that list re-done as related to number of troops, wouldn't you?

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dad was there too. But he missed it by about 56 years, so he took the guided tour on the beach instead.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Shik
There's a million things I haven't done, but just you wait
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, because that's the ONLY thing that happened today...

In 1755, Nathan Hale was born.
In 1844, the first YMCA was founded in London.
In 1862, the Battle of Memphis occured.
In 1875, Nobel Prize-winning author Thomas Mann was born.
In 1898, Santiago, Cuba was bombarded bythe USn Navy.
In 1918, the Battle of Belleau wood occurred.
In 1926, the first use of aerial photography as an aid to mapping occured in Alaska.
In 1942, the Battle of Midway concluded.
In 1957, the first carrier-to-carrier, ocean-to-ocen flight was made by F8U "Crusaders" from Bon Homme Richard" off California to Saratoga off Florida.
In 1958, USS Independence was launched.

--------------------
"I never agreed with Jefferson once—we have fought on like seventy-five different fronts. But when all is said & all is done...Jefferson HAS beliefs; Burr has none."

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 1981, I was born... things just haven't been the same since....

--------------------
"You are anal twattypoo who has ruined my good mood" PsyLiam to TSN May 01,2006.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy birthday.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, as I've discovered from Liz, she was born at exactly midnight on the morning of the seventh. Apparently, her mom was the one who decided to pick the sixth. I told her she needs to change her birthday to the seventh, but she won't listen... :-)
MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And let's not forget, it's my little sisters birthday, well, it's the seventh now, but hers is on the sixth

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Jen- You again??!?! Listen kid, I'm not interested in you. Stop bothering me, I'm a lot older than you and I have a boyfriend. How did you find my ICQ number anyways?
Me- Oh, so just cuz you're a movie star now, and you're new album made millions, you think you're too good for me?
Jen- Yes!!! Get it thorough your head! I am a person, I am not Jennifer Lopez the hottest woman on earth that everyone wants to sleep with, I'm a person, leave me alone!!!
Me- Fine! Be that way!
Me- Jen.... Where'd you go.... I love you... please come back.... please....

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first YMCA was in Britain? Guess I need to consult the folks who made the "Saint John Firsts" poster, as it says that the first YMCA was founded here in Saint John, NB...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if it was the first in the US, then they probably just assumed it was the first ever. I mean, come on. Another country? Having something first? Ridiculous!

I had a big long list of the Very Large historical inncacuracies in Private Ryan (and Braveheart). Do we really want to go into them, because it means me tidying my room?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam: St. John is in New Brunswick. That's in Canada. Which is not in the US.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and is not to be confused with St. John's, Newfoundland, also in Canada. Which is not the US

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry. I thought that everything was in the US. And, if it wasn't, then there was a city with the same name in the US. DO NOT CHALLENGE THEIR MIGHT!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.