Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Planet Of the Apes (Spoiler Warning) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Planet Of the Apes (Spoiler Warning)
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm... From what you people have described, the ending seems to make sense to me. The "spatial anomaly" sent him forward in time to the point where apes are dominating Earth. So, when he went through it again, it would have sent him even farther into the future, right? So, apparently, once he left the planet, this general guy took all the credit for everything, so they made a monument to him. But, not having seen it, I'm just guessing this from what I've read here.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the apes rebuilt DC and Crown Vics by coincidence? I doubt it. But still, possible. I'm not quite clear on what happened to humanity this time around.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was it established that DC was gone in the first place? No-one said so, and I haven't seen the movie...
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You just LOVE spoiling yourself, don't you?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw the film yesterday. Very nicely done. Good acting, good plot, good effects, good everything.

Well, maybe not everything. As everyone here has already stated, that ending threw me for a loop. I hated having finally understood just what was going on throughout the whole movie, and then getting another curve ball at the very end with no explanation. Except for the obvious, that Burton set this up for a sequel.

There were several "throw-in" sort of gags, too, which worked out nicely in my opinion:

SPOILERS

1.When Leo grabs the gorilla soldier's boot, the gorilla's line was the same as Heston's when he was captured, only substituting "human" for "ape."

2. Heston, as Thade's father, states "Damn them, damn them all to hell," before he dies, referring to the humans. No need for explanation here.

3. The brand symbol looks like the Oberon spaceship (which looks like the Trade Federation battlecruiser from TPM).

4. I saw "Nova" in the credits, but wasn't sure which character she played.

5. The ruins of the Oberon coincidentally looked like the Statue of Liberty.

6. The final scene, although still confusing, is reminiscent to the beginning of the POTA movie where Zira & Cornelius emerge from the spaceship to be greeted by 20th century humans, only this time in reverse.

Again on the topic of the ending, remember the original movies? There were two ships: Taylor's & Brent's. Brent's was pretty well bashed up, but Taylor's was in good condition, only sunk at the bottom of a lake. Although not explicitly stated, Zira & Cornelius must have fished the ship out, launched it, got caught in the same time/space anomaly Taylor did, and was sent back in time. It is entirely possible Thade did the same thing.

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: Dukhat ]

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Dr Phlox
Member # 680

- posted      Profile for Dr Phlox         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was called Escape from the Planet of the Apes. Leo just messes things up. If it wasn't for him trying to geet that chimp the Planet of the Apes would have never happened. When he leaves back through the time warp he changes the apes must of taken back over the planet. If he would of stayed it would make for what I think a much better sequel. Leo didn't care about anyone but himself? The reason he helped that woman was because if he didn't she wouldn't show him a way out.

You remember how they kept saying apes are afraid of water. It would of been cool if the humans built damns and when the apes came they would release it on them. I can imagine Thade saying, "Retreat, retreat." Actually and think he would keep going and drown.
Didn't Thade die.

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: Dr Phlox ]

--------------------
President Josiah Bartlet: Congratulations. So, who is da man on this one?

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok I see you guys have somthing mixed up .. in this Movie , The Planet of the Apes , and Earth are to seperate planets , not one in the same.

Also , after leaving the POTA , Leo's ship went BACK in time.

Dukhat - I felt the same way , after Leo left the planet I thought i had everything tied up and was very impressed with the movie , but the ending just to quote you , threw me for a loop. Obviously its a set up for a sequel or four but it was very badly done.

Now Dukhat , did you notice that in the ending scences , one of the Ape Cops , took a picture of Leo ? I wonder what that could mean...

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're different planets?

Okay ... the Apes from Planet of the Apes found the other spaceship, got to Earth, and made sure the Apes became the dominant species instead of humans. Somehow, ape history evolved rather similar to human history, with ...

Oh, hell, it's too early for this.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's not out here for a couple of weeks, but I got to saw it last night, had some contacts who were able to get me some tickets to a preview screening (yes, I have to brag). 8)

My only explanation is that somehow, PotA and Earth ARE the same. Thade - who wasn't dead, remember? - was, after Davidson's departure, able to rise to power again somehow. This wouldn't actually be too difficult, given most apes weren't at Calima to see the truth and would still see humans as animals. Then, Thade accomplished his goal, eradicating humanity as a species and using technology gleaned from the Oberon's databases.

Thus, Leo has essentially screwed up twice: first by forcing the Oberon to search for him and thus condemning it; second, by leaving PotA at a crucial time and not consolidating the changes he made there.

Of course, this theory isn't very sound. Navigational readings indicated PotA wasn't Earth. Why did his chronometer appear to go forward then back (and note it appeared to only go forward 600 years, whereas Ari refers to "thousands of years" of history), which isn't excatly likely anyway? And you're telling me there was enough fuel on Alpha Pod to land, then take off again (from an Earth-like gravity well at that), then fly all the way back from wherever the Oberonwas orbiting, to Earth (in a few minutes), and land there?

Must be some sort of parallel universe thing, I guess. Not only did he go forward then back in time, he also crossed over.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The POTA couldn't have been the same planet as Earth. It had three moons.

Also, IIRC, the "Thade-braham Lincoln" monument stated that Thade was responsible for bringing together apes & humans, not eradicating them. At least, that's what someone here said. They could have been wrong.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard people whining about the ending of the new POTA. "It's bad." "I can't understand it." SO WHAT? It's a symbol of good filmmaking. You are supposed to decide. Those who say it is the worst ending ever just because they can't understand it can have their opinions, but maybe they can't use their imagination. You are not supposed to understand it, it was not made to be understood, and it is a great ending because of it. Can anyone who does not like it say it wasn't creative, cool, and original? If you can say it is one of those, it is a good ending.

--------------------
Meh

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

You made basically the same comment in the other POTA thread. You don't have to repeat yourself. I'm sure everyone who is reading this thread is reading the other one.

--------------------

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
POTA in the new movie is some wierd planet. THe anomoly must of been time and space and not just time.
Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lee : Perhaps a Thousand years in POTA time , is not the same as Earth Time. Its True Thade didnt Die.

Did You catch that last line from Ari ? About How in a thousand years they will say a man came from the stars and saved the world and no one would believe it?

I was thinking Perhaps over time the story had become screwed up and twisted so that Thade was credited with bringing Humanity and Apes together...

I dont know , I still havent been able to figure it out , I'm just gonna have to wait until the sequel , which I'm pretty sure will be utter crap story wise but I guess I'm gonna have to watch it to put a conclusion on this story.

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I've been thinking --

Why do you cap odd, and seemingly random words? Perhaps, in a thousand years, people will. Today, however, we only capitalize nouns and the beginnings of sentences.

Think about it.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps