Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Planet Of the Apes (Spoiler Warning) (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Planet Of the Apes (Spoiler Warning)
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because he has a small penis, of course. But then, with Simon "own gravitational pull" Sizer around, everyone's is small by comparison. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because my Jeep is great. However, for those who do not own their own transportation (or are lacking in the "maintenance" department):

Regular maintenance is important to the life of your car. There are three types of such: preventative, emergency, and fun.

"Fun" maintenance is just what it sounds like. It's installing new side steps, or taking the Jeep to the wash. It's getting it detailed, or putting on new seat covers, or perhaps putting in a new sound system.

"Preventative" maintenance is what you do to make sure it keeps running well. This includes getting your tires rotated every 7k miles, going to JiffyLube for fluid changes every 3k, and making sure the car is in good working order. This is why my car is in the shop now. At 60k, it's time to get a lot of stuff done: just about every fluid has to be changed, the spark plugs have to be replaced, and in my case, the serpantine belt also needs to be changed, the alignment needs to be adjusted, and the brakes have to be fixed.

"Emergency" maintenance is what Triple-A is for. If you don't know what Triple-A is, or what its for, you most likely do not own a car. Or, perhaps, Triple-A is another "American" only thing, so: Triple-A is a roadside service. Blow a tire, the car blows up, etc., Triple-A'll bail you out and tow the vehicle to a repair station. That's essentially what "emergency" maintenance is: anything doing with much needed repairs to the car that ceases functioning when you are not at a repair facility.

Now, since I do work pizza delivery, I am often engaging in "preventative" maintenance. More so then most, I would imagine, since I clock about 500 miles a week on that vehicle. Which is why my car sounds like its always in the shop. Rest assured, it isn't always in the shop. Usually just a few hours a day, one day a month. This month is a bit different from that.

Okay?!?!?!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to fix up my car. First with the preventative maintenance mentioned by JeffyK, as well as some body repair and a paint job.

After that, comes fun maintainance. Which will include fixing up my car to look like something from the pages of Import Tuner.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Preventative" maintenance is what you do to make sure it keeps running well. This includes getting your tires rotated every 7k miles, going to JiffyLube for fluid changes every 3k, and making sure the car is in good working order. This is why my car is in the shop now. At 60k, it's time to get a lot of stuff done:"

Going by that, I need to rotate my tires once every 5 years. (What on Earth is getting your tires rotated anyway? Surely it can't be just turning the tires around, as they tend to do that anyway.)

If I need to put it in every 60,000 miles, then roughly once an ice age should keep it in fine trim. Although, if I have to drive to JiffyLube to get the oil changed, it would probably be less than that.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rotating the tires means putting the front tires on the back wheels and the back tires on the front wheels. In a front-wheel drive car, the front tires wear down much faster than the back tires, so you switch them to keep the better ones in front. And vice versa on a rear-wheel drive car.

I'm surprised you actually pay someone to do all that stuff, Jeff. I'm by no means a car junkie, certainly less so than you, but even I change my own oil and rotate my own tires.

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: TSN ]

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, tire rotation is a little more complicated than that.

Say, for instance, that your vehicle's tire arrangement is as follows:

1--2

3--4

When you finish rotating the tires, it would look like this:

4--3

2--1

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: Mr. Christopher ]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rotating tyres seems to be a bit of a lost art in the UK. I havn't found anyone who does it (although my dad used to). People still change their oil, but mainly when something bad happens, or they want to kill a couple of hours.

Aren't we bad people?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, rotating tires can involve crossing them over, too, if you really want to work at it. But I was simplifying matters, since I was trying to explain it to people who had no idea what it was at all. :-)
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In one thread we go from Apes to rotating tires. Or how about apes rotating tires.

Man, *sniff* I love this place!

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a bad movie. And I don't mean the ending (not claiming to understand it, mind you), it was just a really bad movie ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
Did Apes Steal Ending?

Director Kevin Smith told fans on his official View Askew Web site message board that he considered suing Planet of the Apes director Tim Burton for allegedly appropriating Apes' surprise ending from one of Smith's comics. The image in question appeared on page 7 of Jay and Silent Bob No. 3 and mirrors the ending of Burton's Apes remake.

"Believe me, I contemplated legal action," Smith wrote to fans, who first made the connection. The image gives away the controversial ending of Burton's movie.

But Burton denied he stole the idea from Smith. "I have not seen the image, and anybody that knows me knows I do not read comic books," Burton told the New York Post. "And I especially wouldn't read anything that was created by Kevin Smith."

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Insult Kevin Smith and die!
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Mallrats isn't as good as Clerks.

(Although Clerks: The Animated Series is sheer class.)

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Mallrats blew.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*can't wait for "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" to come out*

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps