Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » My new collecting obsession. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: My new collecting obsession.
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For some reason, back in the dim recesses of the reptilian part of my brain, there is a bizarre urge, and I have determined to finally give in to it.

Therefore...

I aim to collect a full set of denominational coins from every country which I can get someone to send me coins from.

I have now full sets (from smallest to largest) of U.S., Canadian, and UK modern coins. (which reminds me, whatever happened to the shilling?)

I don't want mint or proof sets, just one of each type/denomination.

So... who will send me a set of their country's coins?

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gotta set of Canadian coins from the 125th aniversary. it has coins from the 10 provinces and 2 territories (nunavut excluded because it wasn't officially a territory in '92) i'm not sure if i'm ready to give it up. it might have some value in the far future.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...UK modern coins. (which reminds me, whatever happened to the shilling?)"

Er, you do know we went decimal right? Several decades ago?

History: When we went decimal the new currency of 5p was said to be the same as 12d (still pronounced pence) in the old format. The coins looked exactly the same, I believe. Until the early 90s, 5p coins still has "shilling" on them. The more recent smaller size of 5p coins doesn't have it on (since they can't fit it).

I should point out though that no-one ever, ever called a 5p a shilling. Where'd you get the bizairre idea that we were still using it? Mary Poppins?

Let's just check you do have one of each coin (I assume you don't want all the varieties of pictures on them, right? The pound coin has loads).

Bronze:
1 pence
2 pence

Silver:
10 pence
20 pence
50 pence

Gold:

1 pound (also called a quid)
2 pound (also called two quid. Duh.)

(There's also �5 (fiver), �10, �20 and �50 pound notes, but you just want coins, right?)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was also a limited-run �5 coin, made for, er, some aniversary. There were also 40th aniversary VE and VJ special coins made, but I haven't got them.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam: Yeah, I knew you went decimal. I just liked the word 'shilling.'

I have all those coins. My 2-pounder is a silver-gold mix, though. A gold center in a silver ring.

Maybe I'm forgetting, but don't you have a 5-pence coin, too?

Whose got Australian coins? French? Danish? Belgium? Semprini?

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Da_bang80:
I gotta set of Canadian coins from the 125th aniversary. it has coins from the 10 provinces and 2 territories (nunavut excluded because it wasn't officially a territory in '92) i'm not sure if i'm ready to give it up. it might have some value in the far future.

That's not the only "special" set out there. One was commissioned for the 130th anniversary of Confederation. Two sets were commissioned for the millenium during 1999 and 2000. Don't forget the centennial quarter in 1967. And also the ceremonial toonies in 1999 to celebrate the incorporation of Nunavut, and 2000 for the millenium.

And don't forget to find loonies ($1 coin) and toonies ($2 coin) in their first year of issue.

I have an interesting collection of Canadian Dollar Bills here. Among them is an old $1 bill, an old $2 bill and two of its descendants, an old $5 bill, and two old $10 bills.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Whose got Australian coins?

I'm going to take a completely wild guess and say that the Australians have got the Australian coins. I don't know, I could be wrong.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I still have a 100 lire coin from Italy. If I can find it, it's yours, F02.

And.... the two-toned coins? I don't believe those are from britain. They sound like Canadian Toonies to me.

Do you have a Susan B. Anthony or Sacajaweia (sp?) coin?

--------------------
'Your spirit will always be the light that guides me... that guides me forever...' - Whispers

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

First: Yeah, we have a 5p. Sorry. (it's the shilling. I have no idea how much a half-crown is though). 5p is the smallest coin.

All 2 pound coins are like that.

BTW, I would like to take this opportunity to rant at US money. How hard is it to put what the coins worth on the actual coin? "Dime" isn't very useful, y'know. And what is it with bloody notes and "Exact change" for everything? Why can't you use dollare coins, they'd make things a lot easier. And why are the speech amrks in different places on US keyboards? And why hasn't Florida discovered the joys in internet cafes? And why can't I find a suncoast? And why did I pay $18.99 each for Powerpuff DVDs, then see then in Toys R Us for 4 dollars cheaper?
`
In short, grrr.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam,

Did you recently visit the U.S.? Lot of Suncoast around her -- 'pending on where you visit, of course. We do have dollar coins, they're gold.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...'Cept you only got them a year ago, haven't withdrawn your stupid paper dollar bills, and have no real leaning to implement them as mainstream currency.

<snipe>And American paper money is evil ugly shit. Ugly Ugly Ugly.</snipe>

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I'd rather carry a wallet with paper then a pocket with coins, sorry.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I'd rather be a hammer than a nail.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I'd rather be a nail then a car tire.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That isn't how the song goes.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps