Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University's Involvement

Author Topic: Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University's Involvement
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somebody from the school gave a press conference today about Embry Riddle possibly training whoever had the training neccessary to fly these planes.

We have a degree here, Aeronautical Science in which people learn to be professional airline pilots. Its the largest such program in the United States.

And let me be VERY CLEAR here. Students learn the basics of flying here. They learn how to fly Cessnas and the largest such craft that students fly under the pervue of the university is the Seminole. Look for a picture if you like. But the university DOES NOT train people how to fly 767s or any other large airliner. They learn basic aerodynamics, navigation, basic systems, airport security (ya, I know) in classes and to fly small planes outside of classes. We have no 767/757 simulators either. If these people did go to ERAU, they learned to fly 767s and 757s elsewhere.

About the television part, I saw the segment tonight and unfortunetly, the shots were made up entirely of close ups of her head and couldn't see the reflection behind her. Also, people from ABC interviewed a group of us afterwards and I'm frustratingly just out of the shot. And they didn't use anything I said. Oh well. Woulda been cool I guess.

[ September 12, 2001: Message edited by: Stingray ]

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't happen to know a guy named Tim Miscowitz by any chance do you? If so, tell him I (Jeff Benson) said I hope he's okay. He used to work for me.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you wanna answer my question instead of editing your original post?!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

OnToMars
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woah, chill dude. I was trying to remember if I know anybody by that name. It does sound familiar but you meet so many people in your first couple of weeks of college that you forget names as soon as you hear them.

Is he a freshman? What's his major? Is he any extra curricular activities or ROTC?

(and isn't your last name Kardde?)

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Sorry ... didn't mean to snap ...

He's from Columbia, Maryland. I think he started there maybe two years ago?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm watching NBC still today, and they're on the subject of the airplanes used: Boeing's 757 and 767. Did you know that flight simulators for those planes are easily available? I did not. There's also a very good reason why the 757 and 767 were chosen: they have identical cockpits. The 757 and 767 also feature highly-sophisticated and relatively simple to program auto-pilots. They didn't need extensively trained pilots to be in control of the planes.

All they needed were people with a basic knowledge of flight control and programming the auto-pilot. Once the auto-pilot was set, no one really needed to be at the controls unless a change of course was needed.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

OnToMars
Member # 621

Like flying into a building?

It's not that hard to point a plane in the direction of a building. But it does require training. I couldn't do it. You couldn't do it. It takes a significant amount of training even for just the rudiments. And you simply need to know where the shit is in the cockpit. Those things are fucking forests of switches, dials, readouts, and buttons. They were trained. No doubt about it.

If we can find somebody who recently 'bought' a 767/757 simulator or anybody so far connected with who has used a simulator recently, then we have our men. I doubt it will be that easy though.

(and no, I don't know him. I know hardly any, if any, juniors. But I'll remember the name for future reference.)

[ September 12, 2001: Message edited by: Stingray ]

--------------------

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in no way saying that it would be easy. It just wouldn't require a massive amount of training. The terrorists definitely would have needed training on basic flight control, layout of the 757/767 cockpits, programming the auto-pilot, and the handling of larger airplanes. Definitely a difficult challenge, but not one that is impossible.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Well, I don't know what to think anymore. I've seen nothing but conflicting interviews with aviation experts. One says that with a moderate amount of training, the terrorists could have pulled this off. Another one says that only with professional training could this have been pulled off. I really don't know what to think about this right now. Eventually, the truth will be the learned.

--------------------

OnToMars
Member # 621

Sorry to revive an old thread but I just wanted to update everybody on my kickass school.

Though more than one news crew made a very large deal over the fact that an American university might have trained at least on of the terrorirsts, I doubt you'll find much in the way of an update clearing Riddle's name.

Waleed Al-Shehri, Class of '97, has been found alive and well in Morrocco. Seems the hijackers stole the identities of several professional pilots. The true extent of their training seems to have been rudimentary flight lessons at small aviation schools and not universities.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps