Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Just for fun (LEGO) ... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Just for fun (LEGO) ...
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dayaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know what it sounds like. But the point is that your name means "Lego'o city". :-)
MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Jeff: Pretty cool huh? Even though I'm building my own little bricktopia, it will be no where near like that. This guy is a pro in the highest order. There is no doubt about that.

To TSN: Ok. From now on, it will be Legopolis.

[ October 10, 2001: Message edited by: MIB ]

IP: Logged
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I could make my own fake spaceship out of Legos I would....

Oh wait, I have to go to me AE101 class and design spaceships for real. Sorry guys.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

MIB
Ex-Member

Are you really a student in aerospace engineering?
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup. Though I might switch to Engineering Physics (EP), which is about the only major out there harder than AE.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took one year in AE... but I was in 'a bit' over my head, unfortunately. It's a great study, but also one of the toughest. Astrophysics beats it by a narrow margin - I spent one semester just trying to keep up, after which I threw in the towel and accepted the fact that my brain simply wasn't built for it.

Anyway, a LEGO starship eh? Guess weapons would be pretty much out of the question then
I'd have to experiment with various techniques to create working 'massdriver' cannons (elastics, perhaps) that could inflict enough damage to another starship to rupture its outer hull - kinetics and mechanics are all I've got.

I'd go for something resembling a miniature Star Destroyer - relatively easy to build (but more importantly, strengthen/reinforce armor-wsie... LEGO constructs are fragile!), yet aesthetically pleasing. I only have one year to assemble it, so I'd prioritise the engines, sensors, computercore, and lifesupport systems - after that, I'd add in transporters (not a lot of room for shuttles on a ship that's 20 feet tall, even if they are scaled ) and a communications array. Luxury items such as holodecks, pools et all would take up any remaining space.

Hmm... I'd make sure the computer's database would contain the collective knowledge of the entire human race, and that it would have enough excess memory capacity to store that information a hundred times over. And... and... I could keep going like this for a long time

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh. I actually attempted something similar to this. I took my huge collection of Legos and built a Martian Space Port. Had a control tower, docking ports, a mall (similar to DS9's Promenade), and bunch of other cool stuff. Of course, it didn't last long.

If I were to build a Lego Starship, I'm not sure exactly what the dimensions would be. I'd definitely like a smaller ship who's role would probably be patrol and light exploration. Something along the lines of the new Enterprise. Right around 75 people or so. Maybe about 10 decks or so with a configuration similar to the Voyager prototype (Mercury-class I think it was called).

She'd definitely have the standard crew support systems: waste management/recycling center, recreation facility, mess hall with galley, a few lounges, an athletic facility, libraries, holographic simulators, and quarters, staterooms, and bunkrooms. Definitely would need medical facilities such as surgery suites, physical therapy suites, the primary ICU wards, and a dedicated laboratory for the medical staff and CMO. I'd probably need a small counseling office and dentistry suite as well.

To run the ship, I'd definitely need the engineering areas to maintain the equipment for the faster-than-light engines and the sublight engines. The ship would also need a vast network of service crawlways and system access tunnels. Power generation facilities would be required as would the storage tanks for the fuels. There'd also need to be a bridge or other command center as well as an office/control suite for the security department (including a brig and armory). Tactical would have the equipment for launching torpedos and beam weapons as well as sheild generation and a tactical situation room. This could be tied into the main communication systems as well. There'll be a navigation room onboard that can feed coordinates up to the bridge's helm console for precious flight.

Since this ship is one of exploration as well, it's need a fairly good computer and all of the subsystems that feed into it. I'll need good sensors and backup processors hidden throughout the ship at keep areas. They'd be a few labs onboard for the science times: geosciences, biosciences, astrosciences, etc. Other odds and ends would be a shuttlebay and hangar/maintenance deck for the shuttles (one large, two medium, four small, and maybe two cargo) and facilities for cargo. We'd need cargo bays, an internal system for moving crew and cargo throughout the ships (elevators, maglifts, etc), and airlocks.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would definitly equip both the ship and shuttles with a "universal" airlock of some sort, so that the crew could transfer between more then one ship. It would require some work, but, hmmm ...

Also, an armory: some weapons, a shotgun or two. Never know who you're going to run into in space ... (presumeably, many people would also be building, equipping, and setting out in similar ships ...)

I'd definitily use some of the arragnements from this website in constructing my ship ... also, the design would be influenced by the Mithrandir and the Bricriu ... except, certainly, on a much larger scale.

I'm guessing I'd try to take ... eh, maybe up to 200 people altogether. That would require at least 200 individual staterooms, each with a bed, dresser, desk, and bathroom facilities (although, perhaps group bathrooms for four staterooms to share)?

I'd definitly have to get some medical people together, and give them the best facilties I could ... surgical suites, labs, etcetra.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking as someone with lots of experience and cramming the greatest number of people into the smallest possible space (ie, working in college dorms), I would definitely reconsider giving everyone their own set of quarters.

I'm going to take the stance that there are no families on my ship. For the enlisted crew members, I'd have them in double-occupancy rooms with two of those rooms connected to a common bathroom and living space. The higher-up enlisted and junior officers would have a small set of quarters with two of those quarters sharing a common bathroom. The senior officers would have their own larger quarters with their own private bathroom. The staterooms would be for visiting dignitaries and would be similar to the senior officers' quarters.

By the way, this is my Enterprise post (in other words, this is post #1701 for me).

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

- posted      Profile for Jack_Crusher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have built a little fleet of ships equipped with high power ion influx warp drive (capable of reaching up to warp 22), impulse drive, and they are armed with high power lasers and antimatter torpedoes. The computer are like the computer systems on the Next Generation and Voyager, only it is called CCARN (Core Computer Access Retrieval Network). The ships are either powered by Matter/Antimatter reactors or charge/inverse freq. charge cold fusion reactors. These are the ships of the United Earth Alliance. hopefully I will have a website on geocities up and running soon, so you guys can look at this stuff. email me with any questions. [email protected]
quote:
Mr. Bin Laden, you are now my Where's Waldo, and unlike those difficult books, I will find you. Will Ferrell as Georg Bush on SNL 10-6-01

[ October 11, 2001: Message edited by: Jack_Crusher ]

--------------------
Fry- How will we get out of this?
George Takei's head- Maybe we can use some kind of auto-destruct code like one-A, two-B, three-C...
(Bender's head blows up)
Bender- Now everybody knows!
-Futurama's obligatory Star Trek episode

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'd just build a Borg cube. Saves a lotta time from trying to make curves and stuff.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

MIB
Ex-Member

I look forward to seeing them, Jack.
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Ah, but David, you'd have a lot more work involved in building a Borg Cube since its surfaces are not smooth and flat. Unless, of course, you'd taking about building a cube scaled down to an inch on a side.

--------------------

MIB
Ex-Member

He's got a point ya know. As a person with 13 or 14 years of Lego experience, I can tell you that building a highly detailed ship such as a borg cube wouldn't be easy.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps