Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Just for fun (LEGO) ... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Just for fun (LEGO) ...
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember how proud i was on he hull detailing of my Lego TIE Fighter.. or course they released a Star Wars set and instead of using my ingenius solutions, they desiged new pieces in the shapes they needed.
I think there should be a moratorium on new shaped lego pieces.. they promote laziness.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'd probably need a small counseling office and dentistry suite as well.

For a crew of 75?!?! Good god people! Do the words "90 Day Report" mean anything to you?

(Probably not, but it wouldn't hurt ya to find out)

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No.
IP: Logged
OnToMars
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hesitate to turn this into another Mars rant, but here's a good bare bones summary and the link.

Report of the 90-day Study on Human Exploration of the Moon and Mars

Proponent: NASA
Year of plan: 1989
Costs: $500 billion, possibly more
Proposed date of Mars landing: about 2019, if project began by early 1990s
Will it happen?: Absolutely not in our lifetime

Diagram of 90-day plan

This report, commonly referred to as the 90-Day Report, began as an initiative from President Bush in July 1989 when he proposed a "long-range, continuing commitment" to:

Completing Space Station Freedom in the 1990s as "a critical next step in all our space endeavors."
Returning to the moon and establishing a permanent, manned base there.
Sending astronauts to Mars.
The plan drew fire immediately because of its complexities, duration of development and cost of more than $500 billion. The plan involved using the never-built Space Station Freedom to act as an assembly area for Moon-bound spaceships. Heavy-lift rockets and shuttle flights would deliver the material to assemble the ships. The Moon-bound ships would set up a colony there and an orbiting facility to build the Mars-bound ships.
The Mars-bound spaceships, resembling fictional spacecraft "Battlestar Galactica," would contain everything needed for the 18-month round trip. Astronauts would spend two weeks on the surface before returning to the orbiting mother ship and and heading back to Earth.

The National Research Council analyzed the report and found that, for success, it would require long-term financial commitment from the U.S. government, rather than budgeting yearly, and that a lot of the development costs such as nuclear propulsion remained uncertain.

Politically, the report never got very far. Far more ambitious than the Apollo program, the 90-Day Report's arrival at the end of the Cold War combined with a budget-conscious government were a major cause of it never being taken seriously.

There's another part that discusses Mars Direct and Mars Semi-Direct.

--------------------

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OnToMars, in the very first post of this thread, Malnurtured Snay said to assume that money and Lego parts were no matter at all. Hence, I could splurge a bit on my design in order to maintain a well-adjusted crew.

Even with a crew as small as 75 people, I still see the need for a counseling office and a suite dedicated to denistry. It's not like I'm saying of those 75 people that one is solely a psychiatrist and one is solely a dentist. I see these two particular positions being filled by the medical officers would who likely be trained to some degree in two or more fields.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

OnToMars
Member # 621

Still though, space = weight and weight = bad. A well designed all purpose sickbay w/ the right equipment would do just as well. It's all in the engineering people - doing more with less.

Sorry, I guess I'm just already brainwashed with the fundamental limitations of rocket science. But Jeebus Chris that's wasteful!

--------------------

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OnToMars, I don't know if you realize this yet, but this thread's a joke, dude. You're getting hung up on weight limitations and the prohibitive costs of implementing our ideas, yet, we're talking about building space ships out of Lego parts and bricks. We're talking about being shrunk down to the size of a Legoman. We're assuming that faster-than-light is possible, that environmental force fields exist, that there is no limit on Lego parts and money, and that a ship made out of Lego bricks has the possibility of being a viable spaceship.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but he does have a point about preserving space ... any ship we would build would need cargo space not just to carry any foodstuffs we would probably need, but also enough extra lego pieces to conduct repairs ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Well, the ship that I have in mind would be approximately ten decks tall with a crew of right around 75 people. I envision for my Lego ship several cargo holds of varying size with a dedicated distribution system for moving items around. Obviously, preserving space isn't that big an issue for my design because I only need about 50 crew quarters. That leaves a lot of room left over for crew support, environmental systems, engineering support, weapons and defense, and other systems.

I'm also only talking about two or three extra rooms onto the medical facility. One conference room for the counselor and medical staff and one or maybe two examination rooms set up for dentistry. That's not a whole lot of space when you take into account the ship size and crew complement.

--------------------

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread has inspired me to bring my lego collection out of storage and dedicate my weekend to my old past time

quote:
I think there should be a moratorium on new shaped lego pieces.. they promote laziness.

You couldnt be more right , finding out how to make things with what you have is half the fun of legos.

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about a really large lego ship, shaped like a piece of lego? That can't be that hard.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

I still wish I had my my massive collection of Legos. Unfortunately, I gave them all to my cousin about ten years ago. That was one of the stupidest things I have ever done. He has since tossed them in the garbage, and I'm sitting here wishing I had my Legos to play with.

--------------------

MIB
Ex-Member

Yeah. I know the feeling. I once sold my entire alien action figure collection at a rummage sale. I ended up regreting it for the rest of my life. Jeff! I'll race ya to see which one of us gets to own that huge Blockade runner lego model that lego is selling for $200. I've resorted to selling alot of my stuff toget the money, but just by looking at the pictures of the model, it will be worth it!
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The WHICH? LINK!'

Ok, found it, is that coming out to stores? Is it mini-figure size or what? Holy crapola!

Actually, I want to get that Statue of Liberty replica they have ...

[ October 13, 2001: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MIB
Ex-Member

The rebel blockade runner will be a UCS model like the Tie interceptor and the large X-wing fighter. It won't have any figures, but the ship itself will be over 2 feet long and include over 1,700 pieces! It's a Star Wars lego fan's wet dream.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps