Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Just for fun (LEGO) ... (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Just for fun (LEGO) ...
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Naw, my SW Lego wet dream is to have a 20-feet large model of the Deathstar, complete with several dozen Star Destroyers and Calamari Cruisers
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a scale-model of the DEATH STAR to a Lego minifig would be closer to the size of a small city

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, OK. I'll break down and answer this silly hypothetical.

Physical Characteristics
Mine would be about ten feet long, four feet wide, and three to four feet tall. It would have an arrowhead shape for optimal aerobraking into the orbits of planets with substantial atmospheres.

Propulsion
My ship would have three medium sized ion engines on the aft end for acceleration and deployable magnetic sails for deacceleration where aerobraking was not possible. There would also be a displacement drive for interstellar travel.

Power
Three main medium sized fast fusion reactors powered by helium-3 isotopes with three smaller auxiliary matter/antimatter drives. I'm assuming for the purposes of this that helium-3 is more common in the galaxy than antimatter and as such more viable as a fuel.

Computers
Three connected servers that are respectively dedicated to personal, ship's systems, and collected data (ie resultant from exploration). They are of course, quantum computers.

Personnel
A crew of a 100, give or take. Each crewmember has his or her own small stateroom. Since I have no idea what hygiene will be like in the distant future, I'll say that every ten crewmembers share a 'bathroom'.

There will be a captain, an XO that doubles as the Chief Science Officer (hey, it just makes sense). The crew will be divided into two disciplines; exploration and ship's systems. For the sake of fairness, we'll say that its divided half and half; 50 scientists and 50 engineers. The engineers are responsible for maintanence and piloting. Science is divided into the major fields of science. Physics, Biology, Planetology (in place of geology, which refers to Earth specifically), Chemistry, and Astronomy/Astrophysics. Each of these will have their own dedicated labs with equipment and be further sub-divided into their individual sub-fields.

The medical staff will be an off-shoot of the Science Departmant. The Chief Medical Officer will also be the head of the Biology Division. He/She will have a staff of four (to bring the medical staff to a total of five). All other crew members will be trained in basic medicine(read: whatever the CPR level is in the distant future).

Layout
Sickbay will be located on the same deck as the crewquarters on the aft end. It will be an all purpose emerency room/operating room/dental suite/intensive care/etc. It shall be engineered thusly. There will be no children.

There will be a bridge. Main engineering will be centered around the displacement drive, and include the fusion reacters as the outer tips, as the reactors surround the drive creating a triangle.

The uppermost deck will be the bridge, which will be a low-profile superstructure. Below that will be the crew quarters and sickbay on Deck 2. Deck 2 will also include recreational and communal areas that could serve a variety of functions from mess hall to gymnasium, etc. Deck 3 are the science labs and additional multi-purpose space. Deck 4 is Engineering and ship's systems containing all the machinery to run the ship. Deck 5 would be the hanger bays and robotic bays.

Landing Craft
There will be total of five SSTO ships capable of landing on a planetoid and reaching orbit again from up to a 2g gravity well. Each of these will be able to carry up to 5 crewmembers at a time and a thousand kilograms worth of cargo. The foward end of Deck 5 will include cargo holds and the aft end will consist of machine shops dedicated to robotic contrustion. There will be robots of every possible configuration and capable of every possible function.

And the bricks will be randomly colored, of course.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been giving more thought to this design. For one thing, it's become a bit bigger then I first thought. I mean, hell, if the world is going to end or whatever, I shouldn't have any trouble finding people to want to live, even as Lego people, right?

I think I'd like to incorporate a monorail track and train for quick transport. Obviously, it wouldn't be able to go to every deck, but large stairwells would provide easy vertical movement, while horizontal movements over long distances could easily be reduced. Depending on how big the ship is, there could be two or three monorail systems on board ...

A brig would be very important -- if the need ever arose to place anyone into custody -- I would imagine four blocks, each consisting of six seperate, isolated cells, with a central control booth overseeing the cell block. Access to the control booth and guard stations would be sealed off from the cell-block, so as to prevent any detainees (whatever the situation) from overwhelming security personnel.

The bridge would be located at the top of the superstructure -- this would probably rise two or three decks from the main hull. The bridge officers would be responsible for helm and navigation. Sensor data, command, tactical, and other related functions would be handled through the CIC (in this case, the Command Information Center).

The ship (let's name her ... Indefatigable) would be maintained with a large network of science facilities, including a Stellar Cartography bay similar to what was seen in Generations.

The Sickbay would feature a dedicated surgical suite, two or three quarentine bays, a morgue, and enough beds to care for a maximum of twenty people at any one time. The medical staff would include three doctors and six nurses.

The security staff would include 12 officers, and 48 crewmembers. These crew would, among other things, take on a "police" role aboard ship, as well as providing security for landing partys or other situations. At any given time, four officers and sixteen crew would be on duty.

The Engineering and Maintenance staff would be, without a doubt, the most important group of people aboard. When damage to Indefatigable occurs, it's their job to fix it -- not to mention keeping the ship clean and functioning. The largest cargo bay would be dedicated to replacement lego blocks to replace any damage.

Uhm. That's it for now.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Wow.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn it, Jeff, you're really making me hate myself for giving away my Legos all those years ago! ::sigh:: What the hell was I thinking!?

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I don't know. What were you thinking? I've started sketching out ideas for a small "destroyer" type ship ... something very much along the line of that in the above link and the Mirthandir.

Included will (hopefully) be: engineering, shuttle bay w/ shuttle and control bay, crew "hot bunks" and bath facilities, officer's staterooms with facilities and mess hall, crew mess, CIC (Combat Information Center), mating coller and airlock for docking, small cargo-bay (and I do mean small), engine room w/ sealeable door, a possible detacheable infantry-carrier (seperate from shuttle bay), and maybe barracks for up to six infantrymen (I'll probably use Scout troopers ... or Stormtroopers, depending on when I do it ...)

I'm aiming for a complement of about thirty, including six Infantry soldiers, maybe six officers (including troop transport pilot, and shuttle pilot), and 20 or so assorted crewmen.

I'm probably going to buy one or two Rebel Blockade Runners to help with pieces on this ... engines are always hard to do. Just that restriction alone will probably put construction off until Spring Break ...

I'm guessing actual dimensions'll be four feet long, no wider then 14", and maybe about forty- or -fifty "bricks" tall ... (not quite sure what that works out to) ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*snork*
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

You're just still upset because you went to the wrong class the first day of school.

*snork!*

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

You're going to hate me, Siggy ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe. He is far past hating you. He loaths you.
IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Right, add 'Siegried' to the "Forumites Who I Am Loathed By" list ... (he's right under Omega)

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Cool Military Stuff ... (full scale Blackhawks and Navy Destroyers]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

World War II Nazi U-Boat

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Siggy's loathing for you has just turned into near-homicidal tendancies.....
IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.