Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » My new webpage...

Author Topic: My new webpage...
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check it out.

I've never done anything like this before, so I'd like all the input I can get. I'm still waiting on the actual content (seeing as I just started doing this Wednesday), but I'd love some experienced opinions on the layout and interface. Any comments?

[ October 22, 2001: Message edited by: Omega ]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's odd. I get a 404 error from the Solareclipse server of all things.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And before anyone cries "SPAM!" I would point out that the primary purpose of this thread is to ask for advice on web design, not to advertize a page. So there.

--------------------

Omega
Member # 91

The link is fixed. Sorry 'bout that.

--------------------

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SPAM!!! SPAM!! I declare spam on your post!!!!
IP: Logged
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, there we go.

Overall, it looks really good for a first attempt. Actually, it looks pretty good for any sort of attempt. I'm sure that the more experienced website designers here will offer better advice and commentary than I could, so listen to them more than me.

The color scheme of the site is good; I like the pale yellow hyperlinks against the teal background of the edging. Sticking to the simple black text on white background is good, too. Really pleasing to my eyes -- it's active enough without being too busy. (Damn, I thought I flushed all of my art education out my system by now!)

The interface is good. I doubt that this will cause any problems on most browsers, but, then again, Netscape does some funky stuff to my website on ocassion. Still haven't nailed down those problems. Staying fairly simple with just the text-links is a good idea, but you might also wanna consider going to small button-links in a future update (that's mainly a balance thing in my mind).

The balance of the interface could use some work, but that's a personal preference on my end. I tend to like things being symmetrical, and the two side panels with the links seem to conflict with other. I can see that there is a logical breakdown in separating those links, so take my words with this with a few grains of salt. Another personal preference of mine would be to increase the margins a bit on that center panel with black text. I do this in tables on my site because I don't like text sitting right up against a picture, line, or background change. But that's just my own personal perference again and your mileage may vary.

Overall, it's really good, and I don't really have anything to offer in terms of objective construction criticism.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SPAM! SPAM! SPAM!

You are so banned.

Okay, okay..... Well, I'll only be able to give any more comments when the site becomes complete.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Omega
Member # 91

The balance of the interface could use some work

You're refering to the fact that the links on the right side don't go all the way down on first loading, like the left side does? You're right, it doesn't look good, but it's not permanant. Those are just the churches I could remember off the top of my head. There are at least half a dozen more. That should take care of it.

You may have a point about increased margins on the center cell. Let me try that...

--------------------

Omega
Member # 91

Hey, that looks a lot better! Thanks!

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may want to add some way of seeing on exactly which page your on. Highlighting the current section in the left menu would do that trick.

You can also add a "a:hover" entry to the stylesheet, for some clearer visual signals that links are indeed links, while still maintaining the clean look of the links.

Those are my views on your site. Other than that, it is a very clear and nice site you made.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Omega
Member # 91

Well, the site's been updated and upgraded a tad. Mostly behind the scenes, but the hooks are there for more content to be added. Now I just need a frikin' lot of pictures, some old records and a scanner.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps