Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Ginger... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ginger...
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...is here.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was hoping for an repulsor lift for ze' Jeep.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's...um...

Definatly more overhyped then it should have been...

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good god, it doesn't fly?

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
He believes the Segway "will be to the car what the car was to the horse and buggy."

I would say overhyped. He actually thinks 'it' will replace cars. Maybe in cities like NYC where cars are already impractical... but where I live.. everywhere is 15 to 20 miles away and I can't imagine getting there on a scooter looking thing.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it said that in the article, Hobbes

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It definetly looks interesting. I'm not disappointed if you can believe it. On the other hand, I never bought any of those rumors saying that it would fly and what not. Can you imagine the stabilization system on that thing going on a battlebot? LOL That would be sweet......

On another note, I can see how this thing can be of use. There is absolutly no bus system where I live and the whole attitude here is, "If you don't have a car, you're fu**ed." At the very least, it will be fun to ride.

IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Uh ... MIB, you won't be able to afford one, it's $3k.

From the article, it certainly sounds like its going to be marketed to those who live in the "Big City" ... this way, they won't have to drive their cars and congest the streets (altho, most big-city dwellers -- Boston, NY, etc. -- I know don't *own* cars).

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I like Mr. Garrison's version of "IT" much better than this.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And for three thousand dollars you might as well put a down payment on a car you'll certainly get more out of it than 'it'.

If JeffyK had one of those things do you really think deer would avoid him? They'd laugh if could saying, "Haha where's your Jeep now pizza boy!"

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats $3000 at introduction. It'll be dirt cheap within a few years once they lighten it and find substitute parts and stuff like that. Just like computers.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it! The balance systems seem cool and they've obviously been putting a lot of effort into making it environmental and energy-efficient, riding for 20+ hours for "five cent's worth of electricity". Of course it will be expensive in the beginning, before more factories start building it.

I just hope people in the automobile-industry won't try and destroy the franchise in a misguided attempt to protect sales...

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, so much for that anti-graviton field generator I was hoping for...

quote:
Not only does it have no brakes, it also has no engine, no throttle, no gearshift and no steering wheel.

Exactly how does it move, then?

[ December 03, 2001: Message edited by: Mojo Jojo ]

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it used anti-gravity technology, our government would be all over it so fast it would make your head spin and we would never hear of it ever again.

As for how it works, according to what I have read, once you imagine it doing whatever you want it to do, you make slight balance shifts. Ginger detects these balance shifts and.....well....the rest is pretty obvious.

P.S. I just saw the unvieling on Good Morning America. It looks like it would be fun to ride. Ginger will deinetly be great for larger cities. Unfortunatly, the shit-hole town I live in doesn't even have sidewalks. Apparently the hicks here think that sidewalks are the work of the devil or something.

[ December 03, 2001: Message edited by: MIB ]

IP: Logged
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

quote:
Originally posted by Mojo Jojo:
Exactly how does it move, then?

[ December 03, 2001: Message edited by: Mojo Jojo ]

The Segway has 2 small electric motors moving the axle. If one fails, the other can still run the wheels.

The same applies to the system's "sisterboards", two identical motherboards then run the entire machine. If one fails, the other can still run the vehicle perfectly.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps