Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Black Bears

Author Topic: Black Bears
The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a very disturbing news story about illegal bear farms in China, where the bears have valves inserted into their chests to pump out the bile from their gall bladders. The bears have their teeth and claws sawn off to prevent them mauling themselves and their handlers. I haven't seen the documentary on Chinese TV, but I hope it's released worldwide to open people's eyes to what some people are capable of. Some would probably argue that the farmers have to do that to protect their livelihood, but I'd personally kill myself before doing that to an animal.

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like something Moe would do.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just so long as this doesn't turn into one of those "this is typical of the evil Chinese in general, and it's high time we invaded using a battle plan from a Tom Clancy novel and turned them all into God-fearing Americans" thread.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I'd intended that, I would have put the thread in the Flameboard but I see your point, it certainly didn't improve my opinion of China. According to the article, the government adopted the practice in the 80s to stop the killing of wild bears for their bile, but it also says that the Chinese government has now banned the practice.

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I fear this practice will continue until we land troops on Giedi Prime itself.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good thing I happened to catch Dune on Sci-Fi the other night, or I would have completely not understood that.

Horrible movie, that... Horrible... *shudder*

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn right! Equality for all. All black bears on Giedi Prime should have their own flying harnesses! *sits back to contemplate THAT mental image*

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh come now, Dune wasn't that horrible. I mean it had Sting. It HAS to be good by definition.

Oh Sting, what were you thinking...

But back to the topic, superstition and tradition is a hard thing to break with a civilization as old as China's. Especially out in the Chinese version of hillbilly country.

[ December 05, 2001: Message edited by: USS Vanguard ]

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps