Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » eXPeriencing it (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: eXPeriencing it
Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

- posted      Profile for Jack_Crusher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heard about XP that it
A) only takes about 90 seconds to boot up
B) Does not use any DOS what so ever
C) Is un crashable

Personally, I will not get XP, unless I buy a new computer, because a "friend" of mine had a less than legal copy of XP pro on a CDR before it came out, and he installed it on his laptop, and it screwed up some NT network connections on his laptop (we all have laptops with a wireless network at my company), and besides, I pretty much only liked it for its asthetics. On the desktop that I am writing this post on, I upgraded from 98 to ME about a year ago, and I haven't restarted since Monday, and it is still so stable that I can still run multiple windows!

--------------------
Fry- How will we get out of this?
George Takei's head- Maybe we can use some kind of auto-destruct code like one-A, two-B, three-C...
(Bender's head blows up)
Bender- Now everybody knows!
-Futurama's obligatory Star Trek episode

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...and it is still so stable that I can still run multiple windows!"

Erm... That's not supposed to be an amazing wonder, or anything. It's supposed to do that. That's the entire point of the Windows operating system.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I have heard about XP that it
A) only takes about 90 seconds to boot up"

A slight exageration that occurs with all new OS releases. What happens is that most people use them on a clean system, so they are obviously going to be faster. If you had no life, you could spend a weekend backing up everything on your hard-drive, format it completely, and then install a clean version of Windows 98, and you'd also notice a speed increase. You'd also have wasted your precious youth.

"B) Does not use any DOS what so ever"

Which despite what some people say, is a Good Thing. Come on, when did you last use DOS, eh? And more to the point, WHY did you use DOS? And I'm not talking about the DOS emulation windows you can get up in Windows, I mean proper, basic DOS? Apart from general computer failures, I doubt many people have touched it for years.

"C) Is un crashable"

Nothing is uncrashable. NT systems are more reliable though. XP has some disadvantages, in that it's also shouldered some Win 9x stuff, whereas Win 2000 didn't. It's makes it more flexible and able to run more stuff, but a bit less stable. Possibly.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else here think Microsoft would do well to make another command-line operating system? Like a really upgraded version of DOS with all the utilities and multi-tasking and stuff you get with Unix.

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's just been on the news that some kind of MAJOR security leak has been found in XP.. Service Pack 1, here we come...

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm surprised that it took this long for the anouncement.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's an article about it on New Scientist.

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm also surprised that it took so long for the announcement, but that's mainly because of the fact that the problem was discovered five weeks ago...
Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read up on that thing yesterday on Bugtraq... Nasty, nasty...
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simply a matter of disabling the UPSP service... if it ain't runnin', no harm can be done.

Buffer overflows... nasty insects.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone notice that Media Player comes preloaded with songs from They Might Be Giants?

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does it? Or do you have TMBG songs on your hardrive and it just lists them in the library?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, they come with XP. This is on a brand new machine I just got and only just started up. Nothing of mine is on there.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TMBG's entire catalog is available in that format through EMusic, which is presumably how such a deal was made.

However, on the copies of XP I have seen, the single song included is "Like Humans Do," a track from David Byrne's newest album.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, this Christmas I just got my new Sony Vaio with XP Home in it...and it takes a bit getting use to since I had Win 98 SE. But it's not that bad... I just had to make it feel like home so I put in my USS Prometheus background and other Trek items. Anyway, how do you fix the security breach again? I downloaded the patch from Microsoft already but I still don't want to risk it.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps