Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » How do I find this guy so I can grind him into the dust? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: How do I find this guy so I can grind him into the dust?
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James Landen, Paramus, NJ. Seems like he may have cheated me on that laptop I bought, and I want to track him down. I have an address, but it doesn't return anything in the reverse address searches I've found. I have an e-mail address at glay.org. No phone number. No internet search engine lists him, and information can't help me.

Mind you, I'm not ASSUMING he cheated me. I just want to be prepared if I can confirm that he did. Either way, I need to contact him, and he's not responding to my e-mails. At the moment, it seems more likely that the USPS lost my package, and I just need to get the insurance reembursement, but that would necessitate contacting him, which is my problem at the mo. Any advice?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm assuming eBay purchase ... ?

Also, keep in mind that with the holiday season, delivery time is like what, triple? When did you buy it? (And how did you pay? If with a credit card, you can probably put a freeze on the payment until the situation is resolved).

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excite classified ad. Paid Saturday morning, December 1 by Western Union. He said he shipped that Monday, the third. That was two weeks ago. It was supposed to take two to three DAYS, and according to the USPS dudes, there are NO delays in priority mailing except around Washington. I suppose it's possible that it wasn't shipped priority like he said it was, but even with that and triple normal transit times it should be here by now...

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess they don't offer tracking, eh?

If you paid by Western Union, you might be able to get your money back if you send in the receipt. Of course, since he's probably already cashed it, you might be out of luck.

Have you tried contacting the publisher of whatever published the classified?

And, barring that, did you try calling 411 to get a phone number ... ?

[ December 17, 2001: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Member # 91

Well, see, they DO offer tracking. That makes me question his honesty even more, seeing as he specifically said that they didn't...

Tried 411. No help.

He's already gotten the money. Got it the Saturday I sent it, and said that he shipped that Monday. They don't know anything beyond the fact that he had to have a government-issued ID with the name James Landen on it, and had to be in the general area of Paramus.

--------------------

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.ancestry.com ?
It may not help, and this may be snooping into his business, but maybe you can find some info here.

[ December 17, 2001: Message edited by: Veers ]

--------------------
Meh

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What, like his great-great-grandparents?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. Go back in time, and steal his grandfather's typewriter. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, you can look up current addresses on that site. Did you check it?

--------------------
Meh

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much did you pay for that laptop? And what are the specs?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Omega
Member # 91

I paid $200 plus the WU fee ($22). He paid shipping (assuming he shipped). It's a Thinkpad 560x, P233, 128MB, 4GB, 56k, 12.1", 24x, with all the ports you could want.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is why I don't buy anything on eBay.

Unless you can establish face-to-face contact, be extremely vigilant. It is all too easy to be ripped off.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you may have been ripped, Omega.

Consider: some fraud ring was busted not too long ago here in Toronto. Apparently, the criminals were trying to sell "laptops" to unsuspecting victims. What they do is that they show the "customer" the box that the laptop is supposed to come in. It's supposed to feel like that there actually is a laptop in that box, but it is actually stuffed with the equivalent weight of NEWSPAPER. These guys were selling their computers for "half the retail price". If you wanted to look inside the box to be sure, they would tell you that you HAD to buy the laptop otherwise they wouldn't show you. etc. etc.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
This is why I don't buy anything on eBay.

I don't think he did buy it off eBay. Mostly because eBay requires sellers to register their credit cards, so if Landen had, Omega might be able to get his money back through them.

I do buy off eBay -- over a hundred items (ayi-yi!) Haven't had a single problem./

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, the enforcer I had in New Jersey moved. Otherwise I could offer to send in a brute squad.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.