Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » WinXp Help (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: WinXp Help
Squawk
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought a brand new AMD system (1433MHz) with a Pioneer DVD player (16x). I've been having some difficulty playing DVD's reliably. The media player gets an error message about every 15 minutes, crashes, and has to be restarted. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know what I can do about it? I'd be grateful for anything someone can do. It's really quite annoying!
IP: Logged
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the exact same combo, an AMD 1.4 and the Pioneer DVD 16x... but no problems.

It may be helpful if you tell precisely *what* the error message says, and what kind of motherboard, videocard, memory and even soundcard you have.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sigh. This is yet another slash at my confidence in technology.

[Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's nothing wrong with the technology itself. People often seem to forget that a computer is a very complex piece of machinery, and despite the best efforts of Bill 'n Co. to make their front-ends more user-friendly (thus, more easily accessible to the average Joe Schmoe), what lies underneath the surface is the product of one of man's highest exact sciences - and it can't be simplified.

*Notices people gazing at him in peculiar fashion*

Anyway, to the business at hand.
1). Check, double-check, and triple-check all cables. Make sure all the connectors all firmly in their sockets.
2). Test the drive's integrity by inserting it in your old PC.
3). Hardware conflicts... two or more components "don't really like another". Troubleshoot by removing a single component of your PC at a time - a strip of memory, the soundcard, etc. You should be able to identify the culprit this way.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If that doesn't work, see if you need to update a driver so the DVD player will work properly in XP.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or try different DVD software.
Squawk
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I checked the cables, the drive, etc, and everything is working alright. The error message says that Windows media player has had a program error, etc (and must be shut down) then I get the error report option. My video card is the nVidia GeForce MX 2, TV/out, memory is 256megs, soundcard is SoundBlaster 128 pro.

for some reason, I think that it's the media player it's self. Perhaps there's an update patch for it? or if someone can recommend another player, that I can use for DVD's, it'd be appriciated.

IP: Logged
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PowerDVD (aka WinFastDVD)

It sounds just like my configuration [Smile] . But I don't have any problemos.

[ January 06, 2002: Message edited by: Harry ]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a related note, I also require a bit of Windows XP help. On my previous install, I somehow managed to get the text under desktop icons to be white and have a kind of shadow effect under it, not the coloured box. On this install, however, I have the coloured box. Any idea how to get the shadow effect back?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, not to sound crazy, but howsabout you have a hunt around in Control Panel, eh?

WinDVD is also good.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not much of any help in there.

--------------------

Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

- posted      Profile for Jack_Crusher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No big surprise there. Microsoft has always programmed all of its copies of Windows to fuck up with one thing or another, and then charge people money for tech support to tell them what's wrong and how to fix it. It's a conspiracy that's been going on since the earliest days of Windows 95, to increase Microsoft's profits. What they didn't count on however, were the people contacting the computer makers for free tech support. No, really, XP shouldn't be f***ing up like this, since it is supposed to be "crash free", although this term is not in Microsoft's vocabulary.

--------------------
Fry- How will we get out of this?
George Takei's head- Maybe we can use some kind of auto-destruct code like one-A, two-B, three-C...
(Bender's head blows up)
Bender- Now everybody knows!
-Futurama's obligatory Star Trek episode

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And yet people can manage to stay problem free with Windows XP. What gives?

Use a different software to play your DVD. I have WinDVD and InterActual DVD since I bought the Fast And The Furious DVD.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No software can be "crash free."
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Well it's impossible to get a BSOD with XP seeing as where it doesn't run on DOS. And, sure, it may crash, but it's not the end all crashing that previous versions of Windows does. No rebooting necessary or anything. It's quite nice, actually.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.