Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » RIP (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: RIP
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll never be able to eat a bacon cheeseburger the same way again ... ::sniff::

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed, terrible news. Quite the philanthropist. Made a mean burger,too.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That really sucks.

I went to school in Columbus and used to eat at the original Wendy's all the time. Rumor has it, he used to stop in to that restaurant every now and then. I never saw him there, but I always thought that was kind of cool.

I was very fond of their Pitas...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's true: he used to stop by his restaurants and flip a couple of burgers every now and then. Being a little more kind than Ray Kroc (McDonald's 'founder'), and his burgers tastier (indeed... I never found out why they were square [Big Grin] ), he was pretty sympathetic.

Wendy's opened in Argentina between 1995 and 2000. It's a true shame they left the country (with meager results). I loved their chocolate Frosties... [Frown]

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read his biography a few years ago. The guy worked in restrants all of his life, from the time he was a young boy. He was even a cook in the army.

quote:

(indeed... I never found out why they were square

They purchased their meat from the "Buzz Buttered Steaks" company. They were already square when Wendy's got them.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was basically the front and centre of every Wendy's Commercial I have seen. Wonder what's going to happen now.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We could be in for an animated Dave T. a la Colonel Sanders in KFC spots. Not so sure that would be too great.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got to say that Wendy's is my favorite fast food restaurant. Sure, I like Whataburger a lot, but at Wendy's I have the option of six value meals for under five bucks. Plus, there's a Wendy's in the University Center here on campus. Nothing was better than finishing an accounting exam, grabbing a number one or two, and sitting outside as the sun set eating a very delicious hamburger.

This is really sad, especially for all the good he's done. He's been the spokeman for adopted children and donated a lot to the movement. He set up a foundation for that purpose as well. Every Wendy's commercial that I can remember had Dave Thomas in it. He'll sorely be missed. [Frown]

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't feel like eating in Wendy's if there is an artificial Dave Thomas in the commercials...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Odd... I don't recall his being in older commercials. I thought that was something he only started doing a few years ago...
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave Thomas started doing commercials for Wendy's back in 1989 after he got involved with the company again (he apparently retired in 1983 or so). This was when Wendy's was in financial trouble and the executives had "stopped focusing on the customer" as he said. I think he started appearing in some of the commercial when the "Where's the Beef?" campaign was finishing up. I don't think all of the commercials started focusing on him until sometime around the early to mid 1990s, though.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
grabbing a number one or two,
Kinky.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Sometimes I splurge a little and get the number four. I tried the number three once, but that was just too much meat for me.

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The story was on the news last night. It's a shame. There aren't too many huge businesses anymore where the head of the company is honestly and sincerely focused on doing good, quality business and making sure that people get what they pay for.

There need to be more people with that philosphy.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I caught a news breif breifly last night and I though it said they were pulling his likeness from all further comercials, I sure hope they don't turn him into a rapping buffoon like they did to the Colonel.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps